Technical Shakey steering wheel

Currently reading:
Technical Shakey steering wheel

I've got a small issue on my Stilo, and it's been there for a while (since before the 'forgot my wheelbolt' incident). Car's fine up until I hit around the 60-70ish mark, at which point the steering wheel starts shaking. It only does it when I power on, with it being fine when I ease off or brake. Any ideas? I was thinking either tracking or rod ends.

Could be that one of your front wheels is out of balance or that you have a tyre out of shape.

The fact that this happens at a certain speed indicates a wheel out of balance.

Lets hope you haven't warped a wheel.

Could be the hub. In which case, it's time for some new discs.

Last edited:
Quick way to check to see if you have any slack in the track rod ends is to park the car, remove the key, allow the steering lock to engage and see if you can move the front wheel across its steering axis. If you get a bit of a wobble, you have slack. Tight and you dont.

I still think its a wheel out of balance.

Have you hit a kerb in the recent past?

A cheap way to prove it, if you want some exercise, is to swap back to front.

You might have to do it on both sides if you can't detect which side the vibration comes from.

Also you can get viration though the car if the rears arnt balanced as well ..great if your passenger likes to be vibrated but a pain in the arse if you dont ..literally :D

What Argo said is a good idea. If this cures the steering wobble, then you know where the problem lies. Don't however leave that wheel unchecked as it will eventually ruin a wheel bearing. If it is out of balance, get it sorted asap.

The fact that you have recently had a mishap with the wheel bolts could give false indications. This could have sent another wheel out of balance and no amount of swapping around will solve your problem.

Give it a go and see how you get on.

Good luck fella.

I'll have a blast at it tomorrow. Not really using it now anyway, just sat at the garage (no room inside, too much crap). I'll try wobbling the wheels before I go jacking it up and swapping them round. If none of that works then I'll be off to the garage :bang:

Out of interest, how hard is it to change your own bearings? Is it a DIY job or a matter of taking it into a garage, dropping your pants, bending over, and taking it like a trusting customer?

Last edited:
I think there is another poster and thread in progress with regards to changing wheel bearings ..changing the bearing and the race is a simple job in its self but on the stilo you have the abs to consider so I think on this one discretion is the better part of valour for you dont you (y)

Having exactly the same problem Chris. Had my tracking sorted and apparently it was 5 degrees out. However the problem actually seemed worse after sorting the tracking. Need to check balancing but I reckon discs could be to blame as I know they're about 75% worn and scored to buggery.

Track rod ends is an interesting theory though. Will be giving that a look.

Re: Latest on my shakey wheel

Dont clap, just throw money ;)

Glad to see it was something simple.

There you go. :)
Wishbone joints for a wheel balance problem, what were you thinking?

:eek: I blame my Welsh friend Mike :D I just thought it wise to explore every avenue, but that would have been to last thing I looked at. So, I now have the buckled/unbalanced wheel on the NS rear of the car. What damage is it going to do if left to it's own devices? Just rapid tyre wear, or something more sinister?

:eek: I blame my Welsh friend Mike :D I just thought it wise to explore every avenue, but that would have been to last thing I looked at. So, I now have the buckled/unbalanced wheel on the NS rear of the car. What damage is it going to do if left to it's own devices? Just rapid tyre wear, or something more sinister?

I imagine it could eventually knacker a wheel bearing.

Chris, best to take wheel off and try and find the problem as it may be obvious.

Might be the tyre (bulge) rather than the alloy. Best take it to a tyre place and get it balanced as you don't want to leave an unbalanced/buckled wheel on your car :(

Back