Technical Sensor failures - How Common?

Currently reading:
Technical Sensor failures - How Common?

Hi All, well everything has been quiet for a while but then today the EML came on after a 30 minute drive. A quick scan showed two fault codes P0226 & P0238

I’ve had the P0226 before and did contemplate replacing the accelerator peddle/sensor but didn’t; now I’m wondering if it’s time? This time it felt like i was having to press the peddle more to get the same amount of output

The new code was P0238 Air supply circuit anomaly. The suggestion seems to be the MAP sensor?

I cleared both codes and went for a test drive and all seemed normal, so the question is how regularly do these fail and is there a brand that i should look for to replace them with?

TIA

P0238 is likely to be a blocked tube

Can of compressed air is worth a go

I can’t remember the size of the nuts if you have to replace it

Needs a long reach socket. Back of my head I seem to think it’s 5.5mm (seem small) it’s definitely some size that’s not in a normal socket set.

P0238 is likely to be a blocked tube

I’ll have a look at that, couldn’t find a vac leak so it’s worth a look 👍🏻

To answer the question how reliable are sensors it depends

More often than not it’s something around the sensor that’s failed, corroded connectors low 5 volt reference and so on

Just because someone replaces a sensor and the fault is gone does not mean the sensor was actually faulty. The connector has been restarted and wires moved

You need to put the old sensor back in an confirm the fault is again resent.

Some cheap China sensor’s rubbish. I would stick to OEM brand

Can of compressed air is worth a go

I can’t remember the size of the nuts if you have to replace it

Needs a long reach socket. Back of my head I seem to think it’s 5.5mm (seem small) it’s definitely some size that’s not in a normal socket set.
I had this before and found the connector was loose, so a bit of a wiggle and it seemed to work. I tried the compressed air but without removing the unit last night as the connector fix didn't seem to fix it this time, so will have a go at removing and trying again

To answer the question how reliable are sensors it depends

More often than not it’s something around the sensor that’s failed, corroded connectors low 5 volt reference and so on

Just because someone replaces a sensor and the fault is gone does not mean the sensor was actually faulty. The connector has been restarted and wires moved

You need to put the old sensor back in an confirm the fault is again resent.

Some cheap China sensor’s rubbish. I would stick to OEM brand
Thanks Koalar, I’m not familiar with some modern cars electrics, (i’m from a simpler time 🤣) and there often seems to be posts about sensor issues which as you say either do or do not resolve with a new sensor. I’m aware of another panda owner who’s had issues with none genuine sensors so if it does need one, I’ll be going down a genuine/OEM route too 👍🏻

Also, don't rule out the battery.....I had P0226 which was driving me mad....fitted a brand new peddle, but to cut a long story short, fitted a new battery, error disappeared straight away.

I get the impression the sensors (and power steering) can be quite sensitive to the battery condition (just because it starts the car doesn't mean its in good condition).

Also, don't rule out the battery.....I had P0226 which was driving me mad....fitted a brand new peddle, but to cut a long story short, fitted a new battery, error disappeared straight away.

I get the impression the sensors (and power steering) can be quite sensitive to the battery condition (just because it starts the car doesn't mean its in good condition).
That was the first thought, previous owner had fitted a very good quality branded battery just before he sold it to us as well as replaced the earth strap, so only a few months old. Anyhow as the battery has a warranty I’m going to have it double checked tomorrow. I’m also going to take the filter box off and check the pipes again over the weekend 🤞🏻

Back