Technical Seicento MPi O2 sensor again..

Currently reading:
Technical Seicento MPi O2 sensor again..

Hi there,

after approx 4k miles after cat replacing, engine light back again, with "2nd o2 sensor fault", so get to garage to reset, and after 50 miles, its back again.. if lambda is definitely faulty, it should be reporting errors right after next start after ecu reset, isnt that?? checked sensor connectors, respray with contox spray, will go to garage later.

if its only one-time error, the engine light will stay, but will it run normal or need to go to reset again?? any way to get rid of "engine" light without connecting to that diagnostic thing?? becuase garage is taking money for that :eek:

also have some working spare lambda from old cinq spi, will it work too in MPi????

Thanks guys

tried that by battery disconnect but didnt work for me - disconnect for overnight, and light still there(not like Spi), and ECU remembered miles when error occured :(

that ;joke; with removing second lambda really works..??.. because when there was no cat, it was reporting faults too (high emissions, etc..)

Did on the Mk2 Puntos. Thing was, the early Mk2s didn't need to meet Euro 4, so there were a lot of manifolds knocking about with just one lambda boss. Puntistas are an impecunious bunch, so they'd wrap the 2nd one in aluminium foil (to keep them warm) and outside of the manifold they can't report excess emissions (basically, that's all the second sensor does, report that the cat or the first lambda is not working).

Reset thing always worked for me, but............

I done that on my seicento, didn't have any eml on but found it to keep hesitating while accelerating through the rev. Also it idled funny sometimes, maybe nothing to do with that though

I done that on my seicento, didn't have any eml on but found it to keep hesitating while accelerating through the rev. Also it idled funny sometimes, maybe nothing to do with that though

It could be that the 2nd sensor was reporting a real problem.

They're both the same inside, so -- can't remember what the wire lengths are like -- might be worth swapping them around.

I thought they may have been different so didn't think I could. Couldn't think what else it couldav been because I changed plugs, leads, throttle body and made no difference. Anyway back to the topic of this thread.

.... & buy a OBD2 compliant hand held code reader, probably cost you about as much as one trip to the garage,
-unless that is you get off on paying the garage for something you can do yourself :confused:

Well I've just had a baby cat cheat fitted to my car by a garage and it runs so much better now as the 2nd lambda sensor is reading correctly. I wouldn't advise wrapping the lambda in foil as it run incorrectly and used so much fuel because the car was over fueling to try and get the 2nd sensor to read.

the reader i have is an Autel MaxiDiag (can't remember exact model number off top of my head) but it can read and clear codes from both OBD/OBDII cars, and has loads of other features i have never really had a need for but it can do live loggin and stuff which you can then transfer to your computer or laptop. It was a middle of the range one price wise (was a few years ago now but around £150 iirc). There is many cheaper ones out there but i can't comment on them as never used one.

looking for some ebay cheap ones, but is my sei definitely OBD2 ??
theres a socket beside hood lever under fuses box(its LHD), 187.A1000 engine, first registration 1.1.2001 :), 187.741. /1100MPI CF3, engine M3 1108 MPI

Last edited:
Back