General Scudo Panorama no longer starts (engine turns over on starter)

Currently reading:
General Scudo Panorama no longer starts (engine turns over on starter)

scudodead

Hi, I have a 2007 Fiat Scudo Panorama 2 Litre diesel 120 M-JET SWB MPV. Brilliant car version of the van!
The Scudo has been well maintained and serviced (inc cam belt) but nothing done to it since before the pandemic....have only done approx 80000 miles from new with a major engine rebuild about 5 years ago.
Went to use it yesterday and it started but then almost immediately stalled.
Now it will not start at all. The engine turns over on the starter as normal but will not start.

Problem i have is it is stuck on the drive and I live rural, so the nearest garage is miles away. Plus they cannot fit it in for 3 weeks!

Have searched this forum but am unsure as to what is wrong. The battery is fully charged and the starter motor works fine. I have tried both keys and neither will start it. I have checked the fuses and the ones to do with the fuel are OK.

This is what happens when i try to start my Scudo.
Key turns and all the relevant dashboard lights come on OK.
There is a slight whirring noise in the engine compartment but no noticeable click.
A few seconds later some of the lights (including the glow plug warming one) go out OK.
Turning the key further engages the starter motor strongly but the engine fails to start.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any replies...

Hi :)
If it was running and then stopped running

Its likely to be a fundamental thing..

Fuel supply
Sucked in something to upset air supply

Something broken ...

When was it last driven for more than 20 minutes?
Last used a couple of days before.

Have checked the starting and cannot hear any click as mentioned in other posts. So, i assume the fuel side is not working. Still working through the forum posts but guess it is beyond an easy home fix.....unless someone knows better....

Also, anyone know of a mobile mechanic in the South Cumbria area?

Or any suggestions on how to get a car to a garage as our breakdown cover doesn't cover recovery for a home breakdown....

If you broke down a couple of miles from home.. your recovery would be covered :)

Check your policy for the relevant distance
Cheers for your help.....just found the policy document and i think it does cover home assistance including transporting to the nearest repair garage (it is booked in to the local garage). Just need to phone them to double check....

Not sure where the oil filter is? Is there any other way of checking the the timing belt?

I had the belts done during the engine rebuild a few years ago, so fingers crossed its not that....

I had the same cut out on m25 it turned out to be the three wires from the fuel pressure sensor was broken insulation check there I purchased a new plug off ebay and changed them over and no problem since

20220326_141147.jpg

The Scudo is still dead, but have booked it in a local garage in a couple of weeks time. The mechanic is going to pop in to see what is wrong before we try and get it transported to the garage. Will update the thread as soon as i know more.

Thanks for the update :)

Does the immobiliser symbol on dash show..then go out?

Do you hear the fuel pump ( in the fuel tank) whirr as you turn the key

Idea.. when did you last buy fuel?

Its possible gauge is faulty..and its run out of Diesel

Not the 1st time that has happened!!

Diesel? Fuel shut off solenoid failure. These fail closed so the engine dies if they go rather than refusing to stop. Had one fail on a Citroen BX with similar symptoms. It was not a long or costly job.. Fingers crossed its something like this or wiring mentioned above.

Thanks for all the help.....got a good local garage and mechanic and he is coming to our house this week to see if there are any codes and see what he can do to fix. Fingers crossed that it is something simple.
Its got about a 1/3 of tank of recent fuel.
Will update this thread when i know more.

Update - Got the Scudo finally fixed!!

Turned out to be an air leak in the fuel line. There was a leak in the fuel line and a pin hole in the diesel primer (the rubber bulb just before the fuel pump). Once the fuel line and primer had been replaced, the Scudo started OK. Got the Scudo back from the garage a couple of weeks ago and its been OK ever since.
I said i would update this forum...so, it may be worth checking the fuel line and primer on older vehicles if you have similar starting issues.

With hindsight, living in a rural location and dependent upon a one man run local garage explains the time taken, but at least it turned out to be a relatively easy fix.

Thanks for all the help!

Back