General Scrappage scheme with the 500?

Currently reading:
General Scrappage scheme with the 500?

Here is our situation.

Girlfiend bought our 97 Fiesta for £750 from her dad, formerly her grandads.

We have had it now for 2 years, and it has done 83,000 with full service history.
Car taxed for 12 Months in January

Mot was due in April, we had the MOT and full service done, total bill £450 as the car required quite a lot of welding. So our consensus was the car will probably rust our before it fails mechanically. So might be worth looking into moving it on while it has tax and MOT.

We decided to visit the Fiat Dealer prior to the scrappage announcement and they offered us £450 trade for the car but advised us to sell privately. We looked on Auto Trader and they were going for around the £800 mark all with higher mileage than ours.

On the scrappage we can also claim back any unused tax.

So surely getting £2000 for this car against a new 500 Start Stop can't be a bad deal.

What does everyone reckon?

If you can get the 500 on the scrappage scheme thats great, you are right the Fiesta will rot before your eyes. If its had major welding, you can bet the old rust wasnt cut out so the new metal welded over it will encourage that to rot even faster.

A reference to that would be usefull if you have one.

Im just going by what is actually happening some manufacturers offer across the range some don't eg Fiat therefore no one knows the small print if you do pass it on - that way we all learn from your wisdom.

The confussion isnt unique though as:
"Some manufacturers - such as Toyota and Renault - have said that the allowance will only apply to certain models in the range, while others insist that a condition of the Government cash is that car makers will have to offer their full range of cars: they are either 'in' or 'out'."

http://www.parkers.co.uk/News/Scrappage-scheme/Scrappage-scheme-confusion/

Ford are offering the scheme across the range but offer further incentives on some models or versions i guess to sell those in preference.
Don't have anything to show. Just saw a printout that the dealer showed me. He had no reason to lie about it but I'm willing to be proved wrong!

I have a feeling that the manufacturers will be lobbying hard to have the "freedom" to offer it as they see fit ie to use it to encourage the sale of low selling models.
I personally would like to have seen it aimed at low polluting fuel efficient cars but then again im not Landrover and i dont have fields of unsold metal slowly rusting in the british summer!

I guess we will have to wait untill mid may to see the finer detail in the way its going to be implemented.

I guess we will have to wait untill mid may to see the finer detail in the way its going to be implemented.

There is no CO2 specifity in the rules, it applies to all sizes of car, so if you have a ten year old taxed and MOT'd rustbucket which you have owned for a year you can get £2000 off that Ferrari, as long as Ferrari is playing ball. But the government deal runs out when the money they have allocated runs out, so hurry.

So surely getting £2000 for this car against a new 500 Start Stop can't be a bad deal.

Go for it. You are exactly who it is designed for, and the discount on a 500 would never equal £2000. That Fiesta will be dead by the next MOT anyway and they are effectively giving you £2000, so take the money now.

Last edited:
It just has to be a new car unregistered etc. Its meant as a boost for the car industry, theres no clause to limit to "greenness", however if a manufacturer wants to implement it that way thats up to them.
but i guess most will be aiming it at their models that arent selling very well same as most special offers or deals :D
Yeah, no doubt the dealerships will lose money as well though, by having to knock off £2000? :eek: Maybe they'll bump the price of their cars up by £2000 and then just knock that off so it will still end up costing £10,000 :p

It allows you to buy any new car - not newer: new

That's what I meant! :p

Here is our situation.

Girlfiend bought our 97 Fiesta for £750 from her dad, formerly her grandads.

We have had it now for 2 years, and it has done 83,000 with full service history.
Car taxed for 12 Months in January

Mot was due in April, we had the MOT and full service done, total bill £450 as the car required quite a lot of welding. So our consensus was the car will probably rust our before it fails mechanically. So might be worth looking into moving it on while it has tax and MOT.

We decided to visit the Fiat Dealer prior to the scrappage announcement and they offered us £450 trade for the car but advised us to sell privately. We looked on Auto Trader and they were going for around the £800 mark all with higher mileage than ours.

On the scrappage we can also claim back any unused tax.

Sounds good to me. :) I'd take advantage whilst I could, really!

Maxi, might I suggest the Bravo... its a very well made car and looks lovely too. Very comfy inside and from supasaver youd get big discounts too. It would make far more sense than a 500 or Panda if you intend to start a family, and not have the retro or cutesy image you so want to avoid. IfI were in your place thats what Id be looking at for sure.

Suzuki Swift? I quite like them actually but they're too expensive.

hmm i thought the same. I am sure you will find some old posts by me made around this time last year. Banging on about not getting another fiat and I would be getting a Swift becuase they are good looking cars etc but ended up getting a punto june last year as i couldnt afford a swift.

Well....

A couple of months ago my GP had to go in to fiat to have its springs done and they gave me a swift for 3 days i was soooo excited :D

It was a brand new one and i thought it would be the business. To be fair it drove ok, but it had no soul. The doors when you closed them were like tin the interior was drab. After 3 days driving it I was so happy to get my 1.3MJ back and the door shuts with a proper clunk :)

I can say having that car has put me off having one full stop and made me love my fiat even more :eek:

Last edited:
Maxi, might I suggest the Bravo... its a very well made car and looks lovely too. Very comfy inside and from supasaver youd get big discounts too. It would make far more sense than a 500 or Panda if you intend to start a family, and not have the retro or cutesy image you so want to avoid. IfI were in your place thats what Id be looking at for sure.

Bravo is nice but too expensive and not as cheap to run. I think a 1.2 Sport is non-cutesy enough for me. Plus the wife really likes the 500 as well which is important of course.

Thanks for the Swift experience Sammiboo. i think we're decided on a 1.2 sport in bossa nova with split fold rear seats. Just need the scheme to be approved and we're off. Finance shouldn't be an issue.

Well for those of you who haven't already checked this out, Fiat have put a page up on their site showing cars that are/will be part of the scrappage scheme. I recommend a visit. :)

http://www.fiat.co.uk/Content/?id=17415

Scrappage promotions on other Fiat models will be available very shortly. To be the first to receive updates on the car scrappage scheme and Fiat scrappage offers register here.

haha, well it does also say:

Scrappage promotions on other Fiat models will be available very shortly. To be the first to receive updates on the car scrappage scheme and Fiat scrappage offers register here.

:) Other Fiat Models.

haha, well it does also say:

:) Other Fiat Models.
Well as I said above, when I went into the dealer on Wednesday they had a printout which said that the manufacturers can opt in or not but they have to do the offer on their whole range. perhaps that's wrong but the dealer had no reason to mislead me because I said I've no interest in a 500 unless I get the 2k discount. Think I'm going to pop a deposit down this weekend. Though I want to make sure I pop the deposit down with the guy I've been dealing with as it's only fair that he gets the sale because he's spent a lot of time dealing with me.

Just got off the phone to my Fiat dealer.
I ordered a 500 back in March and was reticent to do so as I'd heard this scheme was due to be introduced. My dealer was very sceptical at the time and said 'why not order the car anyway. IF the scheme comes in you can cancel and immediately re-order'

This morning, he's saying that Fiat are talking to Government lawyers to try and exempt the 500 from the scheme. He says that if the Government insist on making the 500 part of the scheme then Fiat will immediately raise the price of the 500 by £1000 (to cover their contribution to the scrappage scheme)!!!

Any cars ordered before May 15th are not eligible for the scheme. I told him if this was the case then I'd cancel my order and re-order a 500 in a couple of weeks time. He said this would be at a new higher price.

Surely if dealers are just going to raise the cost of their vehicles then nobody is any better off than the situation we have at the moment? (Apart from the Govt - who get the VAT from the sale of a new vehicle thereby reimbursing the £1k they've already contributed to the scheme!) - Rip off Britain!

I ordered a 500 back in March and was reticent to do so as I'd heard this scheme was due to be introduced. My dealer was very sceptical at the time and said 'why not order the car anyway. IF the scheme comes in you can cancel and immediately re-order'

This morning, he's saying that Fiat are talking to Government lawyers to try and exempt the 500 from the scheme. He says that if the Government insist on making the 500 part of the scheme then Fiat will immediately raise the price of the 500 by £1000 (to cover their contribution to the scrappage scheme)!!!

Any cars ordered before May 15th are not eligible for the scheme. I told him if this was the case then I'd cancel my order and re-order a 500 in a couple of weeks time. He said this would be at a new higher price.

Surely if dealers are just going to raise the cost of their vehicles then nobody is any better off than the situation we have at the moment? (Apart from the Govt - who get the VAT from the sale of a new vehicle thereby reimbursing the £1k they've already contributed to the scheme!) - Rip off Britain!
Seems to line up with what I said. Let's hope the govt doesn't budge.....

Well that would still be good news for those of us who expect to get less than £1000 for our 10 year car.

But that would also affect potential customers who don't have old cars. If I were thinking about buying a 500 and suddenly they put the price up by a grand, I'd go to a manufacturer who doesn't! ...especially since they recently raised the price by 200 quid anyway. I'd be interested to see how they try and explain their way out of that one.

To be honest, I'm not sure I believe your dealer, for three reasons (that spring to mind):

Firstly, in my experience, dealers rarely have a clue about the cars they're selling, let alone knowledgable about the behind-closed-doors politics going on at manufacturer board meetings.

Secondly, the whole point of the scheme is to help manufacturers sell cars, yet this guy says they are actually spending serious money to try and stop them selling cars (paying lawyers). Is the 500 really such a good bargain that they would prefer to sell less of them than knock a grand off? I don't think so.

Thirdly, it would be a marketing nightmare for Fiat. "Buy a 500, it's £1000 more expensive than it was yesterday, because we don't want to give you a good deal, and you get nothing more for your money. If you want good value, go to another manufacturer". I look forward to seeing that on a billboard.

As friendly as your dealer may seem, I suspect he's feeding you some BS, just to make sure you don't cancel your order. If he thought that the scrappage deal would stop you from cancelling, he'd probably do a U-turn and say that he's "just" been told that it is supported.

Last edited:
I'm quite happy to cancel and re-order another car. Even if they do put the prices up (which I agree would be a marketing nightmare for Fiat!) I'm still going to be getting a grand off a new 500.
Fiat were only offering me £200 for my current 'skip on wheels' in part-exchange - so I'll be up on the deal whatever happens.

I've told the dealer that I want to wait a couple of weeks and see what happens. I'm in no rush (although I suspect he's keen to close a deal - he told me this morning he's got 20 people lined up who'll be willing to take my car off him if i decide to cancel and re-order!!! Hmmm???)

Back