General Scrappage scheme with the 500?

Currently reading:
General Scrappage scheme with the 500?

Interestingly fiat have started to offer employees (and family and friends etc...) some discount on the 500. Basically on the 1.2 pop you can have £1000 of accessories or insurance and it goes up to about 15-1600ish on the higher models.

Also, I havent checked over here or the german rules for scrappage but everyone around here is buying Pandas not 500s. It helps that they are cheaper to start with and so appeal to more people and the Natural Power model has low emissions and therefore extra discount.

Interestingly fiat have started to offer employees (and family and friends etc...) some discount on the 500. Basically on the 1.2 pop you can have £1000 of accessories or insurance and it goes up to about 15-1600ish on the higher models.

Also, I havent checked over here or the german rules for scrappage but everyone around here is buying Pandas not 500s. It helps that they are cheaper to start with and so appeal to more people and the Natural Power model has low emissions and therefore extra discount.
Well I walked into a dealer last week and he happily offered a £200 discount when shown some online prices :) So there certainly are dicsounts to be had. I actually suspect he probably could have gone a little lower too.....

Last edited:
Well I walked into a dealer last week and he happily offered a £200 discount when shown some online prices :) So there certainly are dicsounts to be had. I actually suspect he probably could have gone a little lower too.....

Which online prices did you show him?

UPDATE!!!!

Well I just got back from my dealer and he showed me a printout from Gordon which says that dealers/manufacturers can opt in or out on the scheme but that they MUST make the scrappage deal available across the whole range.

Good news eh? Well I think I shall shortly be whacking a deposit down on a 500 1.2 sport but haven't the faintest idea what colour......

I thought you could use this on any new car you wanted to, why would a dealer say no to giving you 2k off? Its not coming out of there pocket is it:confused:

Well it depends. With the scrappage deals Fiat might reign back the discounts and some dealers may not want the hassle of dealing with the cars to be scrapped which is fair enough. I'm sure there are a few reasons why dealers might not want to be part of it, the dealer I was at was VERY keen on the deal and says there's no reason he can see that they won't be part of the scheme.

Good news eh? Well I think I shall shortly be whacking a deposit down on a 500 1.2 sport but haven't the faintest idea what colour......

Depends on how you interpret "good news" if it means your old pug is now a scrapper (officially) then yes. If it means that you will be a 500 owner then I will reserve judgement for a little while.

:chin: Mind you they do say "keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

Depends on how you interpret "good news" if it means your old pug is now a scrapper (officially) then yes. If it means that you will be a 500 owner then I will reserve judgement for a little while.

:chin: Mind you they do say "keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
:p

Don't worry I intend to stay in the Panda forum (it is just a pretty Panda anyway!) so ner! :nerner:

Just joking of course :) Just don't expect me to give it a name and treat it like a member of the family or something :p

Isnt that the point of the 500 tho? Most of us on here seem to think so! :confused:
I guess some people are just different :) Personally it's just not my thing. My wife had a Honda called Rhonda and a 2CV called Agatha but she's not named any of her cars since then.

For me the whole point is getting a car which is cheap to run, well specced (Blue&Me and air con) and is nice interior. I'll leave the fawning over the retro styling to other people :) I guess with having an original 500 in the family as long as I can remember it's just not such a big thing for me.

bit off topic but at the moment fiat are advertising the Panda Eco on local radio, £4995 after your scrappage.

but you could get it from fiatsupersaver for £5,400 anyway, less whatever your MOT'd scrapper is worth......

I have workmates who give their cars names, and see this as amusing and fun, and normal. I have to force a smile and keep silent.
As you infer, a car is a car, is a car. Some are fun and very enjoyable, but they are still only means to the end... of getting somewhere.

Girlies can't help it though, so just bite your lip ;)

PS. Italians are a pragmatic lot and generally see the Panda as the most useful, and therefore desirable car. The 500 has more airbags, but also two fewer doors and less room....so Panda it is then.

Discounts will become increasingly available as we move into summer and ever fewer sales; and remember that people are becoming aware of the new economical Fiat engines coming later in the year, so those who have to change cars may be looking at the cheapest option to tide them over until 2010/11 and the new powerplants.

Maxi, face up to it... you have fallen for the 500s charms and because of your constant dissmisive remarks about it in the past you are too embarrassed to admit this. So, you now reckon youre getting one just as a cheap car:) NO WAY, theres loads of cheaper cars out there that will do the job... youre a 500 woos now, same as the rest:)
BabyMax is a good name for your 500 btw.

I have workmates who give their cars names, and see this as amusing and fun, and normal. I have to force a smile and keep silent.
As you infer, a car is a car, is a car. Some are fun and very enjoyable, but they are still only means to the end... of getting somewhere.

Girlies can't help it though, so just bite your lip ;)

Saying a car is just a means of getting somewhere is like saying a girl is just a means of getting a baby, surely you must have a soul lurking in their someplace?

bit off topic but at the moment fiat are advertising the Panda Eco on local radio, £4995 after your scrappage.

but you could get it from fiatsupersaver for £5,400 anyway, less whatever your MOT'd scrapper is worth......
Yes not the best promo I've ever seen....

Back