Sat nav PDA (again) £129 + £3 P&P (approx)

Currently reading:
Sat nav PDA (again) £129 + £3 P&P (approx)

The Negotiator said:
Maps difficult Jim, nobody seems to do dodgy copies of them ;)
Having seen 3 refurbs from Medion, I wouldn't have known they weren't brand new :)

I'd take 'ligit' maps even... It's only the UK ones I need now. Europe can wait.

And the unit it's self is totally 'as new'. Ok Tomtom is a bit posher but was feckin useless so I'll live with basic but acurate any day!

Jim

Yes, it will run any sat nav software for windows mobile, might need the GPS receiver reconfiging but I can tell you how to do that :)

bhinderharminder said:
thinking of getting one of theses units, are they good as the tom tom ones?

Yep there are a few of us myself included who have medion units.

Deal now surpassed (IMO) by Medion with built in sat nav (still PDA however) at Somerfield/kwiksave, very limited stocks though @ 129.99.

In Woolworths they have the Garmin Streetpilot i3 for £145. Not used one, but it's nice and small.
H

The medion is a lot better than the garmin if you want more than just sat nav, otherwise it's horses and courses....(and £30 difference). The sat nav at medion shop is good but not as good as the kwiksave offer as the medionshop one has a wired receiver...

No problem :)

All GPS devices need a receiver to get the satellites to connect. Some sat nav units have inbuilt aerials (like the tomtom 300, 500 etc.), some have bluetooth units (e.g. mobile phones often use this), some have wired ones (that is a cable plugs into your PDA and you have a cable to a receiver which you place (for example) on your dash. The one at kwiksave/somerfield has it built in, basically you just extend it out so that it is pointing towards the sky.

The problem with wired ones is that you need power for them to work so useless if you ever want to take the PDA out of your car and use it for say walking. They are also often less reliable and take longer to find a fix from satellites. If you like your computers think of it as a comparison between having an internal and external HDD, 9/10 the external is fine but occasionally you might need to pull the plug out and try again....

If you intend to use tomtom navigator instead of medion navigator, in both cases it is just a small matter of setting them up correctly :)

Last edited:
The Negotiator said:
If you intend to use tomtom navigator instead of tomtom navigator...
:confused:
For walking I'd never use a PDA-type GPS. I have a Garmin eTrex, which has been great for walking and skiing (one of my mates got up to 62 mph on a pair of blades :eek: )
H

hmallett said:
:confused:
For walking I'd never use a PDA-type GPS. I have a Garmin eTrex, which has been great for walking and skiing (one of my mates got up to 62 mph on a pair of blades :eek: )
H

Fixed my mistake :) I always do that, twice in my last lab report I wrote "x is also known as x" and "y is also known as y" hehe.

Why not? Lots of OS mapping software for windows mobile, maybe not as robust but most people can't afford both.

I haven't any pictures of either of the Medion units described here (the Medion one I use is the medionshop one and it's my dad's) but here is my Dell PDA sat nav, the medion is similar just smaller in size (same size screen) and doesn't use a cradle but just one cable that splits into the power supply and the GPS receiver cable. Mine is shown fixed to the vent but I now use a windscreen mount instead:

SAT20NAV202.jpg

If you go to:

www.medionshop.co.uk and click sat nav units.

The top one at 229£ is the kwiksave/somerfield one at 129.99£. It has a built in aerial like apple's above. It has as many PDA functions as the second one...

The second one is the one that this thread is about, also 129.99. It has a wired receiver :)

Back