General Sad day, they dont make 'em like this anymore!

Currently reading:
General Sad day, they dont make 'em like this anymore!

Hi All,

Not posted in this section for an AGE since buying first a Stilo and more recently a Panda 100hp (which I still have) and the Classic Panda 'Fizz' being SORN and in the garage.

With the 'scrappage' scheme still on offer we've decided to let it go and were getting £2000 for it against a brand new 500 for the wife.

This little Panda has been without a doubt the best, most unassuming, hard working and cost effective vehicle Ive ever possessed.

I bought it about 5 years ago of E-bay for a bit of fun for £150, used it daily for about 7 months then sold it to neighbor who needed a cheap reliable car for £300.

When the neighbor decided he wanted rid I bought it back for £100 and used it for another 12 months or so until he tax ran out and since then its been SORN in my garage (for about 14 months, completely unused)

In all the time Ive owned it and the 20,000 miles I covered in it cost me a new clutch and a new H/G - about £400 all together.

As pat of the 'scrappage' deal the car must have a valid MOT so I booked it in (fearing the worst) and opened my garage on Monday morning to take it to the local garage for its test.

Battery was totally flat, so I hooked it up to the wifes Ka and guess what....it started first turn:eek:

Drove it to the garage and it was a sweet as a nut, smooth gear change, lovely brakes etc. I had forgotten just how 'special' it was to drive - no gizmos, no ABS just you and an honest, simple machine.

Had a call from the garage this afternoon, its passed its MOT - no advisories or anything:eek::eek:

So, all in all were pleased to be getting a great deal from a car that owes us absolutely nothing, but a bit sad that such a little belter is going to scrap.

My current Panda is great fun and no doubt immeasurably 'safer' and more 'environmental' but its not the same :(

Thanks to all for all your advice over the years, and the best of luck for the future (y)

Here she is.....for posterity!

Attachments

• DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    776.8 KB · Views: 61
you should offer it to people to come and swap the doors, bonnet etc with dented/rusty panels, cos if its being scrapped may as well let someone have some good panels out of it! dont believe the scrappage scheme says it cant have different colours panels, odd seats, dented/rusty panels :p

you should offer it to people to come and swap the doors, bonnet etc with dented/rusty panels, cos if its being scrapped may as well let someone have some good panels out of it! dont believe the scrappage scheme says it cant have different colours panels, odd seats, dented/rusty panels :p

lol.

I wonder what the exact criteria is. I know you can tow it in, aslong as it's got MOT and tax.

Give me a day and I can leave you with a towable chasis and 100 notes :p :ROFLMAO:

lol.

I wonder what the exact criteria is. I know you can tow it in, aslong as it's got MOT and tax.

Give me a day and I can leave you with a towable chasis and 100 notes :p :ROFLMAO:

We could all turn up fully armed with socket sets.. you may think a shoal of piranhas can pick a carcass clean in minutes, but I think they could learn something from FF Panda section on the lookout for parts..

Cheers,

Plug

The scrappage scheme is morally and environmentally wrong. Owners of under-used or dormant classics are basically blackmailed into crushing perfectly good cars. That great looking Panda has strengthened my view on it all.

The scrappage scheme is morally and environmentally wrong. Owners of under-used or dormant classics are basically blackmailed into crushing perfectly good cars. That great looking Panda has strengthened my view on it all.

:yeahthat:

Couldn't agree more - I just don't understand how crushing a perfectly good (and in this case seemingly perfect), reliable and economical car and replacing it with a ton or so (or more) of new metal and plastic can possibly be justified by the government on environmental grounds. I do understand the financial motives behind the scheme, and am not having a go at anyone who uses it as it makes such sense to the pocket. I just can't accept the environmental argument. Seems especially ironic (in an alanis sense) when I've always found the old Panda uses less fuel than the new!

Jim managed to get a new Panda for the same price without scrapping anything!!!!
What a lovely looking Fizz...i saw a red one by me this week and the red interiour is stunning...So sad to see this happen...sorry to sound negative..and here comes the BUT!!...but this does not need to happen..only in the news TODAY it was reported how motor companies are ripping people off with this scheme...take your money to Fiat and they will bite your hand off and there will be no need to scrap that stunning car!!...

kev

Jim managed to get a new Panda for the same price without scrapping anything!!!!
What a lovely looking Fizz...i saw a red one by me this week and the red interiour is stunning...So sad to see this happen...sorry to sound negative..and here comes the BUT!!...but this does not need to happen..only in the news TODAY it was reported how motor companies are ripping people off with this scheme...take your money to Fiat and they will bite your hand off and there will be no need to scrap that stunning car!!...

kev

I'd normally agree with you Kev, but Fiat are tight fisted gits when it comes to selling the 500's and won't knock any money off other than through scrappage scheme as they're selling so well! :( (n)

Last edited:
Yes totally agree with above posts scrappage is a con I bought a new panda for under 5k split new without trading anything in intially when I inquired about such purchase I was told id have to participate in trading a car in however when I declined and offered cash it was a different story believe me money talks especially when salesmen are under pressure to retain their jobs.
I would not part with a car for it to be destroyed if you notice the prices of new cars the prices for small moderate decent models has went up considerably to compensate for scrappage yes there is some deals out there but these are on the most basic models that are just dressed up to make them more pleasing on the eye.My old Panda constantly gets slagged off ppl often say why? but this makes me all the more determined to drive it around
the stigma that surrounds the panda is unreal i just feel its ignorance by ppl that dont know nothing my Colour is the most cost effective thing ive had in 22 years of driving and ive driven a lot of cars with and without power and I must say ive driven dearer modern more uncomfortable cars at premium prices namely the 500c and for what it costs 12k i wouldnt give it house room nice to look at thats it for me i fancied it when it came out but after 4wks id had enough.Im sorry to see another beautiful panda biting the dust.

Don't take this personally, I've just used the quote as an example...

With the 'scrappage' scheme still on offer we've decided to let it go and we're getting £2000 for it against a brand new 500 for the wife.

This little Panda has been without a doubt the best, most unassuming, hard working and cost effective vehicle I've ever possessed

When this ridiculous scheme has run its course and the Government have found another, more lucrative way of fleecing the motorist, people will regret having sold their classics / future classics for what amounts to 30pieces of silver

If someone were to offer you £2000 for an £800 car, you'd think there was a catch - there is! Firstly, the £2000 you believe you're getting is meaningless -think £1000 in reality, as all other deals are off &prices have gone up accordingly Then that £1000 will be wiped off the car's value as soon as you drive the thing off the forecourt, followed by more depreciation as the months go by &the miles go up Most new cars depreciate quickly - a car at the lower end of the scale loses very little
Secondly, a vehicle that obviously has many years left in it, could be very useful and could bring a lot of joy to a new owner is just destroyed - not even recycled If this scheme were to continue, I would predict a big hole in certain sections of the Classic Car shows of the future

Once it's gone, it's gone forever :cry:

It's shameful :( and not even environmentally sound :bang:

Rant over...

Back