General Sad day, they dont make 'em like this anymore!

Currently reading:
General Sad day, they dont make 'em like this anymore!

I'm all for being comitted to a car, but I also quite like the Fiat company being around and they dont stay in business by keeping 15 year old cars on the road.

Back in the late 70's/ early 80's when they couldn't keep their 5 year old cars on the road (or stop them from rusting to bits) THAT nearly put them out of business too ;)

Yup, which is why they need to sell new cars.

Except that BECAUSE they couldn't keep their 5 year old cars on the road people stopped buying Fiats and went elsewhere! Too unreliable and too rusty and no longevity was what I remember people saying about them. It took many years to restore Fiat's reputation again.

Remember as well that people used to buy VW's because they were built to last and "reliable". An old model of a car still on the road and in good condition can inspire people to buy new models from the same manufacturer for this very reason.

Again, this scrappage scheme is a short lived attempt to artificially prop up the economy. If it was really going to sustain the car industry it would be made permanent, but at the moment it isn't.

At this point I feel I should add that I have scrapped my CLX in exchange for £3000 off the price of a new Punto for my husband........

I still have the Selecta and would never scrap that. The CLX was gonna cost loads to keep on the road and nobody else wanted it so it has gone.

I shall now sit here and wait for the barrage of negative comments and to be told that I am some sort of criminal for killing a car.

If you have a car that is so far beyond economical sense just to keep it going, then that is a prime example of how the scheme should work - no-one is going to berate you for scrapping a lost cause

What is wrong about the scheme is that it has led to hundreds of perfectly decent motors being consigned to the scrapheap :(

Sorry to sound like a parrot there - it should've been an instant response but I can't get the hang of this (borrowed) laptop!

Last edited:
What do a Panda and a fence have in common?

They are both Rustic!

When are classic car magazines going to give 4x4's and others Classic status.

The demise of the Panda is being hastened by the scrappage scheme!

Pandamaniac

Pandas should be afforded Classic status they were designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro.
He also drew up.

Lotus Esprit 1972
Alfa Romeo Alfasud 1972
VW Golf 1974
Fiat Panda in 1980

Sorry Hellcat..

But what is wrong with a Nova!

Pandas should be afforded Classic status they were designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro.
He also drew up.

Lotus Esprit 1972
Alfa Romeo Alfasud 1972
VW Golf 1974
Fiat Panda in 1980

And, *ahem*, the mk1 Fiat Uno 1983 ;)

Sorry Hellcat..

But what is wrong with a Nova!

What's right with them? :p

Poorly Spanish built rot buckets that became the chariot of choice for Chavs and the Max Power generation. Until those that didn't end up in a ditch full of smashed poorly fitting fibreglass badboy body kits and spoilers ended up dying from terminal rot instead!

Otherwise they were ok ;)

Back