General Sad day, they dont make 'em like this anymore!

Currently reading:
General Sad day, they dont make 'em like this anymore!

You'd probably get a good £600+ looking at the condition of the Panda on eBay (don't know the mileage).

And in scrappage scheme its ok £1k from government. Dealer has to match the other £1k. Thought about trying to get the £1k off the 500 and sell the Panda and see what it makes :confused:

Might make you feel all nice and warm inside :)

And in scrappage scheme its OK £1k from government. Dealer has to match the other £1k. Thought about trying to get the £1k off the 500 and sell the Panda and see what it makes :confused:

Might make you feel all nice and warm inside :)

:yeahthat:
It's a test of your negotiating skills, but car dealers are anxious for sales, seemingly at any price - so it's always worth a try Tell them it's your deal or it's no deal and see if they let you leave

OT: I had a similar experience buying a monitor - when the chap said the one I wanted was out of stock, rather than see me go elsewhere, he sold me a more expensive one for the same price - a sale is a sale, a little profit is better than no profit (and a lot better than a competitor getting the profit!)

Yeah all of that....Put better than i did..I guess emotions got in the way when i was typing!!!
I have a crashed 4x4 with MOT and TAX...it drives!!!!...but will never be on the road again..
Now im just using this as an example...and i know you have to own the car for a year etc etc...but to my mind that is the type of car which could be used!!! (yeah i know 4x4 parts etc)
To crush such a clean car does not seem right and i think this is what people have a problem with. A wreck...no problem.

Love the "Swap Shop" idea...rusty doors, worn seats etc all swapped...Great!!!...(y)..:D:D:D:D

kev

Don't take this personally, I've just used the quote as an example...

When this ridiculous scheme has run its course and the Government have found another, more lucrative way of fleecing the motorist, people will regret having sold their classics / future classics for what amounts to 30pieces of silver

If someone were to offer you £2000 for an £800 car, you'd think there was a catch - there is! Firstly, the £2000 you believe you're getting is meaningless -think £1000 in reality, as all other deals are off &prices have gone up accordingly Then that £1000 will be wiped off the car's value as soon as you drive the thing off the forecourt, followed by more depreciation as the months go by &the miles go up Most new cars depreciate quickly - a car at the lower end of the scale loses very little
Secondly, a vehicle that obviously has many years left in it, could be very useful and could bring a lot of joy to a new owner is just destroyed - not even recycled If this scheme were to continue, I would predict a big hole in certain sections of the Classic Car shows of the future

Once it's gone, it's gone forever :cry:

It's shameful :( and not even environmentally sound :bang:

Rant over...

Completely agree with this, the whole scheme is a farce, and is succeeding only in getting many perfectly usable cars (and many classics, like this one) off the road. And most of the money is not going towards British or even European made cars but things like Kias and Hyundais, who are reporting massive sales increases. And most of the new cars have gone up in price by £1000, so the deal is only half as good to start with.

Its a real shame to lose some really nice old cars (see: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=696416 ), its not just the mundane stuff, clapped out old Fords, Vauxhalls etc...

Can't blame people for using the scheme, but the whole thing is a cynical con, and it stinks.

Don't take this personally, I've just used the quote as an example...

When this ridiculous scheme has run its course and the Government have found another, more lucrative way of fleecing the motorist, people will regret having sold their classics / future classics for what amounts to 30pieces of silver

If someone were to offer you £2000 for an £800 car, you'd think there was a catch - there is! Firstly, the £2000 you believe you're getting is meaningless -think £1000 in reality, as all other deals are off &prices have gone up accordingly Then that £1000 will be wiped off the car's value as soon as you drive the thing off the forecourt, followed by more depreciation as the months go by &the miles go up Most new cars depreciate quickly - a car at the lower end of the scale loses very little
Secondly, a vehicle that obviously has many years left in it, could be very useful and could bring a lot of joy to a new owner is just destroyed - not even recycled If this scheme were to continue, I would predict a big hole in certain sections of the Classic Car shows of the future

Once it's gone, it's gone forever :cry:

It's shameful :( and not even environmentally sound :bang:

Rant over...

:yeahthat:

I couldn't agree more with all the people's sentiments in this thread. The scrappage scheme has bugger all to do with the environment, it's a short lived desperate attempt to artificially prop up what's left of the car industry/ economy and keep people in work. In fact I'd go as far to say it has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the environment because unless it's one of these daft hybrids (that use more resources to build in the first place compared with 'normal' cars...) more pollution is produced in making a new car than an older but well maintained car will put out in a lifetime on the roads. Want to save the environment? Then don't buy a new car or scrap a good old one, keep your classic Pandas on the road (y)

And as said, in most cases you're not really getting anything like £2K off the sticker price of a new scrappage deal car (with one or two exceptions). In fact, let's start a new campain:

"Scrap the Scrappage Scheme"!

Here here totally agree new campaign gr8 above posts '' Scrap The Scrappage Scheme'' ha!ha!

Someone give him the two grand and everyone will be happy.

He wanted a new car and this scheme has given him £2000 for a car worth maybe £600 to the right buyer. As it's already been said you can't haggle discount on a 500 currently as there is still a big wait on these. While demand still outstrips supply the prices will remain high.

I've seen a few sedici's scrapped since I got mine. It's not a great thing to see but I wouldn't try to make them feel bad like some have done with this thread. They are after all just cars, and if someone doesn't have the time and energy to constantly be maintaining their older car they shouldn't be hounded from the forum for wanting the easier life.

I don't know about anyone else but £1400 is still a lot of money to me. If the choice was sell car for £600 or scrap for £2000 then I'd have to engage brain before heart and go with the money.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has tried to hound him from the forum. Ultimately, you can't blame an individual for taking the deal, of course. However, what kind of response would you expect from an enthusiasts group: "Well done mate, pleased to see your nice example of the car we love is being scrapped"?

I don't think anyone has tried to hound him from the forum. Ultimately, you can't blame an individual for taking the deal, of course. However, what kind of response would you expect from an enthusiasts group: "Well done mate, pleased to see your nice example of the car we love is being scrapped"?

How about a "Sorry you've decided to get rid of the Panda. Good luck with your 500"?

:rolleyes:

How about a "Sorry you've decided to get rid of the Panda. Good luck with your 500"?

:rolleyes:

I do regret the tone of my first response. It was hasty. Fair enough. However, it was an instant reaction to something that seems plain wrong to me and obviously to others. It's a bigger issue than this one car and deserves some debate. Your view that we should either offer him £2000 or say nothing misses the bigger picture. I didn't wish to cause personal offence but if the original post had been a bit more diplomatic, it might not have got the response it did. What's wrong with a bit of debate? Why I should be congratulating the poster? The scrappage seem is a serious point of discussion and I would hope that he would understand that too.

One thing everybody seems to forget is that you still need the commitment to the other 'X' thousands of pounds required to buy a new car, even if they give you £2,000 scrappage allowance.

Personally in this financial climate and the way our work position has been. (Turnover down 20% on last year, and painting the floors and ceilings for 2 weeks.) I would rather keep my Panda than commit to something I know would stretch my finances too far for way too long irrespective of being given £2,000.

No matter what, the mortgage payments must take precedence over a new car!

Committed Panda owner to 2050

I've seen a few sedici's scrapped since I got mine. It's not a great thing to see but I wouldn't try to make them feel bad like some have done with this thread. They are after all just cars, and if someone doesn't have the time and energy to constantly be maintaining their older car they shouldn't be hounded from the forum for wanting the easier life.

I don't know about anyone else but £1400 is still a lot of money to me. If the choice was sell car for £600 or scrap for £2000 then I'd have to engage brain before heart and go with the money.

I don't think anyone intended to "hound" the OP from the forum at all, more that a discussion evolved regarding the contentiousness of the scheme itself. As many have pointed out in most (though not all cases) you're not really getting £2k off the price of a new car. The biggest issue for me is that many perfectly good cars are getting crushed for no reason. If the scheme was to only take cars that had failed their MOTs then it would be more acceptable, but it only takes older cars that are fully road legal and then removes them from the road permanently. Where's the logic in that? :confused:

With older cars that are gradually disappearing off the roads through the natural ageing process, many potential/ future classics are being wiped out in one fell swoop. Once they're gone, they're gone and there's no way you can bring them back once that's happened. :(

Last edited:
Back