General Rusty Nuts - RANT

Currently reading:
General Rusty Nuts - RANT

OK - so I made some progress today but still have lots to do..........

I have managed to remove the sheared studs from the manifold flange with the help of a good friend of mine who has restored an MGB so is used to dealing with rusty bits!!

One came out after heating for 15 mins with a blow torch, loosening with mole grips and then squaring off with a file and gently turning with a pair of adjustable spanners - took ages.....

The other had to be drilled and died (or tapped - never can remember which is which)..........it took a couple of hours to drill and then another hour or so to die (or tap - wot-ever!)

I have been called into work tomorrow (buggers!!) so progress is going to have to wait until Saturday now :(

Piccies for your viewing pleasure.............

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg

While you are at it LRB, port match the exhaust manifold openings with a dremel. Drop the manifold in engine degreaser overnight, once done paint the manifold and downpipe with black heat paint. Rap the manifold and downpipe again in new heat tape before fitting it back to the car. It will look real sharp when finished (y) . While the manifold is off give the front of the engine a good clean and remove all the oil crap build up. Get as many little jobs done as you can while having engine parts off the car. Saves you having to remove it all again this way and it looks great when you have finished.

FYI As you have the exhaust off m8 take a look at the mounts on the rear exhaust box heat shield. Its easy to remove them while the exhaust is off as the mounts can rust the underside of the body. I can see this being a real problem if it rusts away the underbody.

Great work by the way LRB !!!

Last edited:
To be fair, most other cars I've owned of this age have got a lot of rust around the exhaust parts.

Just to put things into perspective a bit...............the underside of the car is not bad at all, there were a couple of small rust spots where the previous owner had grounded the car but these have been cleaned up and fixed (for the time being!!).

The only bits that seem to be suffering from rust are the nuts and bolts holding things on/together........... :eek: :(

In the words of Victor Meldrew - 'I don't bloody believe it' - just got back from Goodwood and my new/second hand downpipe is blowing!! :cry:

Why do bad things keep happening to me? :cry: What did I do in a past life that was sooo flippin' bad? :cry: - aside from the downpipe splitting, the central heating pump decided to stop working today and my wifes car has started to play up, no oomph in 2/3/4th gear and a could of smoke when it starts!!

What next? (I guess bad things have to happen otherwise we would not recognise good things?) :eek:

OK - firstly thanks to Doogal who has been very understanding over this episode - he sold the pipe in good faith - I bought it in good faith and as such he has offered a full refund - so publically I would like to say thanks (y)

I have had to buy a new front pipe so have decided to go for a stainless steel replacement from these guys.............

http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/search_results.php?

.........and only £176 cheaper than FIAT's mild steel replacement!

So, it turned up and looked good............

DSC_0419.jpg

So, I removed the split pipe...........................

DSC_0423.jpg

You can see where it was blowing...................

DSC_0424.jpg

..........and while removing the old pipe I managed to shear another f*****g bolt which has resulted in me having to remove the manifold again............

DSC_0426.jpg

.........so tomorrow I am going to have to visit my friend with the blow torch and extensive tool kit to fix it.......................in the meantime all is not lost as I found that the S/S front pipe also doubles as a musical instrument though.......................Rolf Harris eat your heart out!!!!!

DSC_0422.jpg

Back