Technical Rubbery adhesive advice

Currently reading:
Technical Rubbery adhesive advice

oilovlam

I removed a rusty strip of metal (approx 6 inches by 20 inches) from the bottom of my Doblo tailgate. It was screwed on and also glued with a rubbery adhesive.

Two questions:
1) How do I remove the old adheive from the tailgate
2) What is the rubbery adhesive because I need to glue back the metal strip (once I have removed the rust).

Thanks for any advice.

A parts store recommended 'Tiger Seal'....is that rubbery? Seems quite a strong glue....once it is stuck it is 'stuck'!!

I expect the rubbery adhesive does two jobs, helps to keep the metal plate in place and also prevents vibration. The screws would also stop it falling off.

Carefully get as much of the old adhesive scraped off then use a suitable solvent, start with isopropyl alcohol, altough I find autoglym’s tar remover to be quite good for removing adhesives, and it shoupd be kind to your paint, finish up with good polish (not wax). Tiger seal is near permanent, its often used to hold on spoilers, if its just to be used as a damper, then look at an adhesive foam tape or butyl tape as these will do the job nicely and still allow the part to be removed

Carefully get as much of the old adhesive scraped off then use a suitable solvent, start with isopropyl alcohol, altough I find autoglym’s tar remover to be quite good for removing adhesives, and it shoupd be kind to your paint, finish up with good polish (not wax). Tiger seal is near permanent, its often used to hold on spoilers, if its just to be used as a damper, then look at an adhesive foam tape or butyl tape as these will do the job nicely and still allow the part to be removed
Thanks LunchBeer for the good advice. The Autoglym tar remover sounds like it should remove the old adhesive.

Once I have it back to the paintwork I can decide on the new adhesive. Doesn't look like I will get an exact replacement. The Tiger Seal sounds too aggressive, so perhaps an adhesive tape - as you suggest - or a tube of black silicon.

Back