Technical Fixed timing chain- now running problems- any advice?

Currently reading:
Technical Fixed timing chain- now running problems- any advice?

shlaptop

Hello it's me again with this 1.3jtd multijet.
I got it with a broken chain which I've fixed and changed rockers. Today I doue checked the timing and it's perfect.
So the van starts amd tick over nicely.
When I accelerate Im getting this chugging sound. There is whiteish smoke from the exhaust.
Power is very low needing a lot of clutch to get going and into 2nd gear.

Any ideas please experts?

Certainly sounds pretty horrible and yet ticks over.
As you bring the revs up and that noise increases, can you check to hear if it's coming from the timing chain side? It's almost like the tensioner isn't working and chain is flailing around loose.
I accept you have rechecked the valve timing, but assuming you have four good compressions, when it went up the road it sounded retarded and it is obviously seriously under powered as you demonstrated.
Does the white smoke continue after warmed and running for a while?
Does the white smoke feel wet like steam/condensation or smell pungent like unburnt fuel?
I assume it isn't pressurising or losing coolant at all ?

As you bring the revs up and that noise increases, can you check to hear if it's coming from the timing chain side? It's almost like the tensioner isn't working and chain is flailing around loose.
I accept you have rechecked the valve timing, but assuming you have four good compressions, when it went up the road it sounded retarded and it is obviously seriously under powered as you demonstrated.
Does the white smoke feel wet like steam/condensation or smell pungent like unburnt fuel?
Thank you, honestly I think it's more like steam than unburned fuel.
To check the timing I inserted the flywheel and camshaft tools and they were in perfect alignment.

Really dont think its the tensioner and the sound is more from the exhaust side of things i think but it is hard to tell exactly.

Some people mention needing dpf regeneration? I dont know cant see how that could cause this. Kind of looking for any free/easy options before going for compression test and leak off test.

The guy i got it off a local, said it was running fine and conked out. Towed to garage and they found camchain problem. When i opened it up I found the tensioner was shot. But on rebuild I found the cam sensor was broken. Wasnt really expecting to find ancillary items not working but it has sat for about a year without a battery.

Thanks a lot for trying to help diagnose this I can tell you have a lot of experience.
I cant work on it again until thursday.

Cheers!

One more thing the noise is kind of upto 3000rpm doolesnt seem to be after that

One more thing the noise is kind of upto 3000rpm doolesnt seem to be after that
Two things .
I had a DPF trying to regen unsuccessfully on a C3 Picasso with 200k on it, loads of white smoke that choked you but it didn't smell of diesel, I took that DPF off and managed to clean it out with Bookers industrial oven cleaner, bleach and a commercial steam cleaner, then used my friends Snap On Tool to tell it it had a new DPF, that lasted two years worth of Mots and ran clean, but now looks like I will have to replace it:(.
Diesels with low compression chuck out white smoke from cold, but it usually decreases as it warms up and you can smell the diesel strongly.
The other thing is, I know you shouldn't turn the engine backwards really, but if you put a socket and bar on the crank pulley (with keys out ;)) and gently turn it back a little if the tensioner isn't doing it's job right and adjusting and staying out , you may detect a slackness before it starts to turn the camshaft due to slop in the chain. only go a little way and then turn it the correct way again, so when you turn the starter it hasn't got a load of slack chain to take up before moving the cam in the correct direction. If you are unhappy trying this then don't!

Two things .
I had a DPF trying to regen unsuccessfully on a C3 Picasso with 200k on it, loads of white smoke that choked you but it didn't smell of diesel, I took that DPF off and managed to clean it out with Bookers industrial oven cleaner, bleach and a commercial steam cleaner, then used my friends Snap On Tool to tell it it had a new DPF, that lasted two years worth of Mots and ran clean, but now looks like I will have to replace it:(.
Diesels with low compression chuck out white smoke from cold, but it usually decreases as it warms up and you can smell the diesel strongly.
The other thing is, I know you shouldn't turn the engine backwards really, but if you put a socket and bar on the crank pulley (with keys out ;)) and gently turn it back a little if the tensioner isn't doing it's job right and adjusting and staying out , you may detect a slackness before it starts to turn the camshaft due to slop in the chain. only go a little way and then turn it the correct way again, so when you turn the starter it hasn't got a load of slack chain to take up before moving the cam in the correct direction. If you are unhappy trying this then don't!
Right brilliant, 2 good ideas to test. Thank you. I'll report back as soon as ive been back to work on it.

You need to do a compression test, considering the broken timing chain a strong possibility of head or valve damage.
My guess is bent or damaged valve.

Sorry for the delay guys, got to the bottom of it!!!

The EGR valve was stuck!!! It was choking the air intake. Had to get someone else to diagnose it, the took the top off the agr and hey presto, it revs up lovely now. Just have to put a new EGR on then (fingers crossed) job done!

Hello to everyone who helped me out on this project.
I put on a new EGR valve, and had to free up the turbo actuator arm.

It got an MOT last thursday and drove to the beach on friday!!

Chuffed

Back