Rover 214 cut out again!! help

Currently reading:
Rover 214 cut out again!! help

A while ago I posted here about my other halfs rover 214 that cut out, and needed a new coil.

Leads and plugs were changed too and it ran great

Then last couple of days it missed while accelerating, plus at cruising speed too

Today I took it out to see for myself, and broke down about 2 miles away from home

Engine was just turning over, my other half arrived with my tools, there is fuel present, but cant tell if there is a good spark, I tried another lead on the coil as the one we got in the set was wrong so it wasnt replaced, still no joy, so tried yet another used lead, and nothing.

My dad is coming out later to rescue the car, tow it home

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that the coil could have failed again?

I will try to bump start it during the tow, see if that gets it running

any ideas?

ta

Last edited:
i guess the lead you are talking about is the one that goes from the dizzy to the coil? they often cause problems when they get wet, so spray WD40 on either end of it. also consider dizzy failure if you find the coil is giving a good output but there is no spark on the plugs. coil failure is very common on the 1.4 and a new coil can fail so dont rule that out.

Did it have a new dizzy and rotor at the same time as coil???,, check the rotor arm for a white powder build up.. also can build up on the points... plus in the middle of the dizzy cap is a little brush, sometimes the spring behind can lose its "spring" so might need stretching

Last edited:
jug
I suspect it to be the lead from the dizzy to coil too, I will pick up a new one tomorrow because for a small price its the last item in the chain thats old.
The dizzy is just a cap on the end of the block, with the rotor inside it, no electronic parts are in there and the rotor was inspected and its tip cleaned with a small piece of wet n dry paper

steely
Dizzy cap wasnt replaced at the same time, BUT it was replaced yesterday before the problem got worse - now there could lie the problem eh? - but it did run ok with its new cap in the afternoon until last night, and then today, when something has failed.

When I get the new lead tomorrow, if theres still no joy I will put the old dizzy cap back on, there was nothing wrong with the old one, its just that we bought it at a later date from the new plugs and plug leads and didnt get round to fitting it, I took a close look at the both of them side to side to make sure they were the same, they looked so.

I am just hoping that I dont have to buy another coil, and then find out it wasnt that at fault, the wire that supplies the coil isnt long enough to just test another coil in place without it [the coil] getting dirty, also, there isnt enough room to get at and extend the wires to relocate the coil in another place [which is what I wanted to do when it initially failed]

been out and had another look, I have got a spark at the dizzy cap end of the coil ht lead, but that spark isnt reaching the plugs

the part of the rotor arm that the dizzy makes contact with, is pitted

if I remove the rotor arm, and place it inside the dizzy cap, the outer contact is about 5mm away from the plug contacts in the cap, would my spark not jump a gap that big? I thought the contacts would have been closer together

Back