Roundabout (aka island if you live in silly land)

Currently reading:
Roundabout (aka island if you live in silly land)

A or B?

• Total voters
Yes there is, have a look next time you go on a similar roundabout, you will see nice arrows showing to merge even though it's one exit lane. It might not be in this specific cases, but many roundabouts are like that. There has to be an inner and outer part of an exit lane for people who are leaving the inner part of the roundabout (i.e. right turners) which have not made their way across yet...especially on roundabouts with large 3 lane+ (unmarked) exits!

Oh and this all goes down to the fact that if there are no markings on the lanes on the way in as to which lane you can use on the exit lane (which only has one wide lane out) - the road markings are actually not exactly correct. In which case I would either go back around or if it was a wide exit like in that picture, like most drivers, I would exit on the outer part of the exit as normal - since the exit lane in numerous car widths wide.

I still don't think someone should be aiming for the X exit from the inside of the roundabout forcing the car on the outside to hold a tight line despite their being one lane.

Nowhere have I heard that you need to leave space for another vehicle if the lane is wide enough.

Well I doubt I will ever visit the roundabout to know - but neither will you ever have heard that you can't use point B to leave point X unless it is otherwise marked ;)

its common practice, but its illegal. if i was exiting i could slam into the side of the other person on purpose and their insurance would have to pay for it no questions asked.

No-one seems to have taken into account that if you are in lane B & someone ahead of you turns out of the intermediate road (1st exit) who intends to go across to the opposite junction to where they emerged (3rd exit) you would possibly be in danger of a collision as you cross their path into 2nd exit whereas if you are in lane A you can only be positioned behind them if they have pulled out ahead of you

true, but on a 2 lane exit roundabout that risk is still there even if you obey the law. its a very common type of accident and one of the reasons large roundabouts often use traffic lights during peak times.

No-one seems to have taken into account that if you are in lane B & someone ahead of you turns out of the intermediate road (1st exit) who intends to go across to the opposite junction to where they emerged (3rd exit) you would possibly be in danger of a collision as you cross their path into 2nd exit whereas if you are in lane A you can only be positioned behind them if they have pulled out ahead of you

Ah you mean someone leaving from D aiming for G? :D

bout.JPG

Back