General Road noise

Currently reading:
General Road noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a 1.2pop, which I think is comfy, fast enough, economical etc etc. Frequently I go fair distances, the most in a day being 680miles, mainly motorway/A road at good speeds. The only thing that bothers me is a general rumbling road noise. I know it's primarily a city car but this is really the only factor against it being a distance car. Has anyone out there done any work on sound deadening / tyre choice to reduce noise. My tyres are Goodyear Duragrip.

Last edited:
How bizarre this should be top of the list - I was about to post exactly the same.

I have a diesel lounge and the road noise is, frankly, intollerable. I'm actually loathing this car now - only had it a few weeks :mad:

FWIW I borrowed a Panda 100bhp which was running on low profile Goodyear Eagle F1s and that was really quiet.

Thanks

It would be really useful if everyboby contributing to this thread named their tyre brand/Wheel size and 500 model.

1.2 Lounge - 15's Michelin Energy Saver.

No problem noticed so far but not run car at high speed yet.

Last edited:
195/45 R16 Continental ContiPremiumContact 2s - horrific levels of noise (lounge so glass roof probably doesn't help).

Has anyone dynomated one of these? Seems like a lot of noise is comming up through the rear seats to me.

That was me !

A big culprit on road noise IMO is from the rear suspension. I have been in a car with the rubber boot liner which cut some noise. I personally have put some sound deadening material under the boot carpet which has helped. I will at some stage invest in a better quality noise insulation material to place under the boot floor. The back of the seats may also benefit from a similar material.

Fold the seats down and drive, you will see how much noise is generated from this area, it's LOUD !

I noticed a lot of road noise in my wife's Panda. The 500 is far worse but only at low speeds on rough tarmac. We have some super quiet tarmac stretches in my area and it's whisper quiet on those. At higher speeds road noise is normal.
My tyres are Dunlop 185/55 R 15 SP Sport. They are nice tyres otherwise.

How bizarre this should be top of the list - I was about to post exactly the same.

I have a diesel lounge and the road noise is, frankly, intollerable. I'm actually loathing this car now - only had it a few weeks :mad:

FWIW I borrowed a Panda 100bhp which was running on low profile Goodyear Eagle F1s and that was really quiet.

Thanks

I got a 500 1.2 pop with the standard 15's and glassroof and even if i put the windows down on the motorway its not half as noisey as my 100hp was!

But at the end of the day they are city cars and around that enviroment they perform very very well... but alas not to good for motorways... but as a previous member states that's what the stereo is for. lmao

I got a 500 1.2 pop with the standard 15's and glassroof and even if i put the windows down on the motorway its not half as noisey as my 100hp was!

How bizzare, honestly the 07 plate 100bhp I used for a week was really very quiet indeed, perhaps not at 7,000rpm though...

Actually mine already has a good 1" thick soft sound insulation under the boot carpet (factory fit) - did yours not have this?

I'm thinking of dynomatting under the rear seat (does it come up/our easily?) and the rear wheel arches. Helped a lot in my old Saxo VTR years ago.

Or failing that get the Panda :p

I think it's just a UK thing as when we had the 500 in the states the road noise was so much less than it was here

Weirdly the ride was much better too (I think it's mainly cause americans drive much faster than we do and at higher speeds the ride improves)

Jim

That was me !

A big culprit on road noise IMO is from the rear suspension. I have been in a car with the rubber boot liner which cut some noise. I personally have put some sound deadening material under the boot carpet which has helped. I will at some stage invest in a better quality noise insulation material to place under the boot floor. The back of the seats may also benefit from a similar material.

Fold the seats down and drive, you will see how much noise is generated from this area, it's LOUD !

Thanks for all the helpful comments.I agree it mainly comes from the rear, and think the right kind of sound deadening would help a lot - do let me know what you do here. I'd like to know if the tyre type does help, I could change the rears only. It's difficult to plan routes based on tarmac type - which does make a big difference.

I dont find the noise annoying at all, but you could try some dynomat or similar, which sticks to the inside of panels. Try it inside rear wings and around the boot floor, I did that on a Cinq once and it helped a lot.
Most small cars are like this and yes most of the noise is from the rear, maybe a Bravo would have been a better longer distance chioce though?

195/45 R16 Continental ContiPremiumContact 2s - horrific levels of noise (lounge so glass roof probably doesn't help).

Has anyone dynomated one of these? Seems like a lot of noise is comming up through the rear seats to me.

I also have the 16" Conti's & agree on coarse roads the noise is quite loud but not unbearable, but when the tarmac smooths out there is no noise, so the problem is more to do with the rear suspsension than the tyres I guess.

BTW I have the rubber boot liner & I don't notice any reduction in noise levels with this.

I have to say that although I love the 500 styling and the overall driving experience I do think refinement and ride quality are less than average judged on 2008 standards for small cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back