Right, I've done it for the first time tonight, so who else has?

Currently reading:
Right, I've done it for the first time tonight, so who else has?

NOOB ALERT, I ran out of petrol :eek:

Middle lane in traffic coming upto a major junction.

brake down.JPG

I was where the white mark is by the arrow, and I had to stop the traffic and push the car to the side of the road. :p

Funny now I look back at it, but not at the time. So Why? Well, because I've a fuel leak on the filler neck that I've still to get sorted (the bodge isn't holding well), I try to keep the tank as low as possible. But luckily I had a full jerry can in the back, so was on the move again quickly :).

The silly mair behind me though when it happened had stopped right up my backside, so she couldn't get around :ROFLMAO:

So the question is, who else has done it? And why?

i've never had the misfortune of running out of fuel yet, but my other half is absolutely certain it will happen one day

i'm the kind of person who likes to get as much out of a tank as possible, so she absolutely hates in whenever the range is showing zero, never mind that there is stil a gallon in there even though it's showing zero.

its good to let the tank run down, gets rid of all the old, stale, dirty fuel that has been in the tank a while

i play the game all the time, I havent lost...yet

EDIT - yeah lets see the video of it spluttering!

We want to see video footage :)

Not got it. I didn't think of saving it (buggar) and it will have recorded over by now. Buggar. Would have been funny :p

EDIT - yeah lets see the video of it spluttering!

As above, but funny enough, it didn't splutter. Just died as though I'd turned the engine off, and then restarted again, and then done the same.

I've never done it until I got my seicento, now its happened 4 times, once I got back home then went to get some fuel and it had run out on the drive.

heres my car 4 days after I got her

Attachments

• SP_A0017.jpg
    SP_A0017.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 27
Yes it happened once :( Luckily I was about 50 yards from the petrol station I was heading for to fill up, so when the car stalled I glided into the handily positioned bus stop and I had a petrol can on board to fill up :) That was when I found out my petrol reserve light no longer worked :bang:

did it once with a dodgy petrol gauge in a mk 2 cavalier on the M8
had to walk about 10 miles to the petrol station
buy a petrol can and then fill it
then walk back
rained all the way there and back
then the key broke in the petrol cap
tried to lever it with a screwdriver and sliced open my hand :eek:
then it broke and half fell in the filler pipe
managed to get petrol in,struggled to start (carb with a manual pump)
but finally it fired up
drove and got petrol
got home about 3am,back in work 6am :mad:
never ran out since

* in the end i had to drop the tank to get the rest of the filler cap out*

I had never done it until April this year when I took one of the new Bravos out for a test drive and it ran out on a dual carriageway! Numpty salesman hadnt put any fuel in it!

Its a strange feeling when a car dies on you like that!

I had never done it until April this year when I took one of the new Bravos out for a test drive and it ran out on a dual carriageway! Numpty salesman hadnt put any fuel in it!

Its a strange feeling when a car dies on you like that!

Lol. The Yaris I test drove was on the lower part of reserve. How that didn't run out I don't know. It really was thrashed :p

Ive done it too, happened a few weeks ago as i was driving to the petrol station, the light had been on for a few days, i just felt like such a numpty :eek:

The red is the route i had to take to get to the petrol station.
Orange being where the car stopped and black being where the petrol station is

Untitled.jpg

I've coasted in to a station before, but that was only due to Northern Ireland's STUPID sunday trading laws.

Nope never ran out, i'm too paranoid to let that happen.

Although I might have to take my word back as the car is on empty says its got 3 miles to go before tank runs out and its that far to the petrol station so we shall see :devil:

Breakdown on saturday here I come

Never managed to run out of fuel before and do enjoy a bit of fuel light bingo occasionally...

Did manage to lose the engine on my uno on a busy road due to carb related problems on a cold day...although being lazy I stuck it in first and drove it on the starter into a bus stop, let her stand for a few minutes then she fired straight back up.

Back