General Reversing ("Backup") Lights Upgrade?

Currently reading:
General Reversing ("Backup") Lights Upgrade?

Fiat Freak

Greetings Everyone!

My wife owns a 2012 Fiat 500X (one of five Fiats we own), and we love the vehicle. That said, we feel the reversing lights are a bit weak in illumination. Has anyone attempted to upgrade these bulbs to a higher brightness? Halogen bulbs can be had, but their high temperature operation may be harmful to the housing. There are many LED bulbs available, but the form factors are so varied that one can't be certain of the end result.

FYI: In the USA owner's manual, the bulb replacement is indicated as "P21W." This is equivalent to a #1057 bulb.

If anyone has upgraded these bulbs and can share advice, I'd appreciate it!

Grazie!

Yes and to use an English expression the 500X reversing light is "pants".

I've upgraded mine with a direct replacement LED lamp - P21W 500 lumens - 12V

I practice it is 30% plus brighter when viewing what is illuminated.

In the UK/EU regulations/legality on replacing normal external bulbs with LED versions is tight, however the reversing lamp is a grey area. You may want to check your local US regulations.

For more information see this thread:

https://www.fiatforum.com/500x/452397-reversing-light-pants.html

In the UK at least, the reversing light is the one external light that does not have to be an approved type so fitting an LED replacement bulb is not a problem. Subject to the "must not dazzle or distract other road users" and it only coming on with reverse selected you could fit a 55W driving light if you wanted to.

Robert G8RPI.

I don't think a 55W driving lamp will actually fit. The bulb is recessed into a reflecting shround that goes over the top and more importantly the end of the bulb. My LED replacement really only just fitted due to overall body length.

Whole design is rather crazy. Trying to fit too many luminaries into a single unit.

I don't think a 55W driving lamp will actually fit. The bulb is recessed into a reflecting shround that goes over the top and more importantly the end of the bulb. My LED replacement really only just fitted due to overall body length.

Whole design is rather crazy. Trying to fit too many luminaries into a single unit.

Sorry I wansh't clear, you cant fit a 55W bulb to existing light, apart from not fttin it would melt. I was refering to the fact that a big 180mm Cibie as a rversng light and it would be legal. Need a new fuse and a relay of course.

Likewise, I fitted a P21W equivalent LED to mine. It improved things, but still not great. As said above, a "pants" design.

Sorry I wansh't clear, you cant fit a 55W bulb to existing light, apart from not fttin it would melt. I was refering to the fact that a big 180mm Cibie as a rversng light and it would be legal. Need a new fuse and a relay of course.

Understood...

I often wonder in amusement with those big trucker rigs with 4+ top cab mounted daylight blasters only to often find similar rear facing tarmac melting lights.

The only reason I can see that they pass an HGV MOT is that the measuring device can not reach that high and there is a hidden switch to activate the lights.

Of course the other reason / loophole is that these tarmac melting ray emission devices are not considered as statutory devices and thus fall outside of the MOT/other legislation.

I think it was pretty obvious what you were referring to. Having to make changes if you wanted would obviously require some upgrade.

I used to have to reverse down a slope and my car's reversing light only really illuminated the night sky... so I did what g8rpi has suggested; just fit an auxillary light.

On my old ship there was a handy hole on one of the hangers or something so I fitted a plastic Tring reversing light to it and wired it to the existing reversing light circuit, so that it came on with the reversing light... but CANBUS now might make that an inappropriate solution if it's going to give errors... (I don't know).

Failing that, a separate circuit and switch down by the handbrake somewhere wouldn't be too tricky, although some means of having it turn off by itself if you forget (timer relay) might be handy.

Ralf S.

Back