Technical Radio upgrade question

Currently reading:
Technical Radio upgrade question

I have a 2016 plate with the small non sat nav radio , can I upgrade to the nav model and if so what’s needed to make it happen?

The donor car would be a 500x sport.

What is the existing unit? 3 Inch or 5 inch?

1681298957793.png

1681299021055.png

As far as I can see the pinouts / connectors are the same on the 5 inch radio only and radio/sat nav models.

1681328370227.png

You will of course lack / have missing possibly some other connections but the wiring looks to be the same.

I don't know what car system menus settings you have on your existing radio unit. On the Sat Nav unit I have then some of the car's settings are only available on the uConnect and not on the dashboard menu control.

After swopping you will almost certainly need to do a Proxi Alignment with a suitable diagnostic tool (e.g MES) but there could still be niggles.

Another point to mention is that if you are only after Sat Nav then you are probably better off with a Garmin or Tom Tom unit with Lifetime Maps.

My 500X 2015 has uConnect 5 Inch with Sat Nav andthe maps are not free. Upgrading maps is expensive. I have a Garmin with lifetime free maps and when going long distance / abraod I use the Garmin. The 500X maps are backup or for local use where road changes are not so frequent or that critically important.

PLEASE NOTE! I have not attempted to upgrade or change my 500X's uConnect 5" Sat Nav unit. All I offer is what is above and I hope others with more on hands actual experience will be able to chip in.

As far as I can see the pinouts / connectors are the same on the 5 inch radio only and radio/sat nav models.

View attachment 421318
You will of course lack / have missing possibly some other connections but the wiring looks to be the same.

I don't know what car system menus settings you have on your existing radio unit. On the Sat Nav unit I have then some of the car's settings are only available on the uConnect and not on the dashboard menu control.

After swopping you will almost certainly need to do a Proxi Alignment with a suitable diagnostic tool (e.g MES) but there could still be niggles.

Another point to mention is that if you are only after Sat Nav then you are probably better off with a Garmin or Tom Tom unit with Lifetime Maps.

My 500X 2015 has uConnect 5 Inch with Sat Nav andthe maps are not free. Upgrading maps is expensive. I have a Garmin with lifetime free maps and when going long distance / abraod I use the Garmin. The 500X maps are backup or for local use where road changes are not so frequent or that critically important.

PLEASE NOTE! I have not attempted to upgrade or change my 500X's uConnect 5" Sat Nav unit. All I offer is what is above and I hope others with more on hands actual experience will be able to chip in.
Thanks very much for the info , I'm
actually just getting it as got it cheap wasn’t really looking to change but when it became available was too good to turn down , I’ll take it out plug it in and see worst case will sell it on .

I've been looking to do this exact upgrade to get CarPlay functionality, so really interested in finding out how you got on!

Did you unit you end up fitting the unit @ripshot34?

I've been looking to do this exact upgrade to get CarPlay functionality, so really interested in finding out how you got on!

Did you unit you end up fitting the unit @ripshot34?
Hi mate

I did fit the unit worked fine but flagged up an error on dash had to have a proxy alignment carried out to clear the error but other than that absolutely fine .

Hi mate

I did fit the unit worked fine but flagged up an error on dash had to have a proxy alignment carried out to clear the error but other than that absolutely fine .
Thanks for confirming.

I was browsing eBay this morning and came across a Uconnect 7" from a doner 2020 500X, which was a good price... Pulled the trigger so should have one next week!

Did you get your proxy align done at a Fiat main dealer or just a local indy? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you?

Thanks for confirming.

I was browsing eBay this morning and came across a Uconnect 7" from a doner 2020 500X, which was a good price... Pulled the trigger so should have one next week!

Did you get your proxy align done at a Fiat main dealer or just a local indy? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you?
Hi there,

I just got it done by my mate for £20 he had a Reader which did the job , I'm not saying to buy one but its pretty simple if local garage or someone has something similar down your way .

@ripshot34 My Uconnect 7” arrived and I installed it this morning!

As expected, the milage is flashing but I can see trip data on the display absolutely fine. Local garage can do the proxi align but want £60 + VAT so holding out for something cheaper!

I do seem to have an issue with the USB connection though…

When I plug my iPhone in, the phone charges but it doesn’t show up as a source under Media. CarPlay doesn’t launch either. It’s as if the port is proving power but no data.

Tried three known working cables and also another phone - no joy.

The only thing USB I noted, was the grey mini USB connection, which I made sure was plugged in. Did you have any USB related issues?

@ripshot34 My Uconnect 7” arrived and I installed it this morning!

As expected, the milage is flashing but I can see trip data on the display absolutely fine. Local garage can do the proxi align but want £60 + VAT so holding out for something cheaper!

I do seem to have an issue with the USB connection though…

When I plug my iPhone in, the phone charges but it doesn’t show up as a source under Media. CarPlay doesn’t launch either. It’s as if the port is proving power but no data.

Tried three known working cables and also another phone - no joy.

The only thing USB I noted, was the grey mini USB connection, which I made sure was plugged in. Did you have any USB related issues?
Hey @JStrongy, did you ever get around this? I’ve got a similar issue on my partners 500.

Replaced her 7” No CarPlay headunit with the NAV one. CarPlay launched once, but now never connects or appears. Only Bluetooth connects. The charging is working, but no data.

Thanks!

I did some research and over on the the MultiECUScan forums, there are a few posts stating that the issue is with the existing existing Aux + USB port module.

It is not compatible and requires changing to the new 2 x USB port module, in order for CarPlay to work.

I plan to do it but just not go around it it yet.

Worth mentioning…

In MultiECUScan, under Proxi align options, you can amend which variant of USB port module is fitted. I would therefore assume that may need changing after the USB module is swapped.

I've still not had any joy getting CarPlay after my Uconnect 7” upgrade...

When I plug my phone in, it plays music fine through the USB source and shows album art work but not CarPlay.

Has anyone else had any luck?

Back