Reprograming Key Via MultiEcuScan

Currently reading:
Reprograming Key Via MultiEcuScan

dirtboxden

if i was to buy a blank virgin key for my fiat 500l 2014 like the one shown in the link below, would i be able to use multiecuscan to get codes and program the key to the car, im looking for someone who may have tried and been successful or can tell me its a waste of time

me and my wife share the car and id like a key each, we do have the second key that doesn't have the remote locking but would like two with remote locking feature

before i get blasted yes i have used the search function and found lots of post regarding this issue but every post seems to give a different answer

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Looks like it should be possible with a registered copy of multiecuscan, but you'll need the car's 'code card'. No idea if Fiat in the UK are willing to supply that (it caused all sorts of issues with my Alfa GTV in 2005 because Fiat wouldn't give it to me when I needed to replace the fried ecu) but if they will, that's a nice, quick fix.

If not it'll no doubt be a 'main agent job', or get your existing key cloned.

Technically yes MES can do this.

See MES on screen info for programming below.

Personally I've never attempted to use MES to program new keys/transponders and don't recall anybody posting in the MES Forum that they have successfully done OR have failed to do so.

Your biggest problem will be getting / obtaining the vehicles Electronic Key Code. I don't know about the 500L but with the 500X (2015 onwards) there were no security key codes shipped with the vehicle. The code is held on Fiat servers and is transmitted to the vehicle via official/authorised diagnostic kit. This also requires a Fiat subscription service.

On older Fiats then in the UK (unlike in EU) the Key Code Card was removed on import at the docks and the information sent to the National Vehicle Security Register (NVSR) and only Fiat Dealers (plus some other approved agents) can request this information. You Fiat dealer (if applicable and willing????) can get this code but are likely to charge you for the privilege! (this really pisses me off as it is MY car costing £1000s and I still don't have a right, according to Fiat UK to have that code! )

I'm led to believe that there are companies out there that can retrieve the secret code from the ECU but you have to visit them or send your ECU to them.

Your best, easiest and safest option is to find a vehicle locksmith who can clone one of your existing keys.

Last IMPORTANT POINT. If you ever want tot use MES or any other software/kit yourself to program keys into any vehicle then do this in the dealer's car par or on the road outside because the procedure for all vehicle removes ALL keys and ALL keys have to be present to be reprogrammed into the care. *IF* the procedure fails for any reason then you will have a DEAD car and will definitely require require dealer assistance and vehicle recover if it can't be pushed into the workshop!

--------------------------
This procedure allows the programming of keys/transponders in the Body Computer. The keys/transponders have to be pre-programmed with body computer's secret codes in order to be recognized by the vehicle. Follow the instructions on screen and make sure you have ALL keys (up to 8) before starting the procedure.
WARNING: DO NOT RUN this procedure if you don't know what you are doing as this procedure may permanently disable your keys! Make sure YOU HAVE ALL KEYS as you will have to program ALL of them into the Body Computer.
WARNING: You will also need to enter the electronic key code of your vehicle in order to execute this function. You can find this code on your vehicle's CODE CARD. Please be careful and note that the Body Computer will block itself for 30 minutes after an incorrect code is entered 3 times.
NOTE: You may run this procedure in simulation mode to see how it works. Basically, you have to do the following:
1. Start the procedure
2. The system will ask you to insert KEY 1 and click Y. After that the system will confirm if the recognition of the key is successfull.
3. The system will ask you to insert KEY 2. So, you have to remove KEY 1 and insert KEY 2. This procedure can be repeated for up to 8 keys.
4. The system will finally store all recognized keys into the body computer and will display a status of the whole procedure. You will still have a chance to abort the procedure before step 4 and restore the key data. However, after step 4 the new keys will be stored permanently and ANY existing keys that are not inserted/recognized during the procedure will be PERMANENTLY disabled in the body computer and it will not be possible to use them anymore.
ALSO NOTE: The vehicle will probably display immobilizer/key errors on the dashboard during the procedure! This is normal!
After the procedure:
1. Remove all keys, disconnect the OBD cable and wait 60 seconds
2. Take one key and start the engine with it
3. Turn off the engine and remove key
4. Close all doors and test the remote control (if this is an RF key).
Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 for all keys!

Out of interest, assuming Fiat still aren't willing to supply the code card, does anyone know how much it costs for a main agent to program in a new key? I need to get this done sometime since there's a spare key for my car from before I owned it floating about somewhere...

i have a registered copy of MES but knowing my luck ill end up bricking the car and then my wife is going to punch me in the eye so i think my best bet is to go down the clone path, any ideas if these cheap Chinese keys work with cloning, has anybody successfully done it,

Last edited:
I recently had to get a new key for my bravo as the remote slowly packed in and I couldn't cope with using the door lock. As mentioned fiat and UK insurance does not like us having access to the key code. However software exists with locksmiths who can pull the code out and then programme a new key. They have to dump all the existing key codes with an overwrite and the guy never asked for my blue key so after he'd gone I realised my new remote key and old remote key started the car, but the original blue spare does not. Stupidly I never asked for the code either to use with mes in future. Anyway. Cost me 220 quid. Worth it imo to have the remote back. Drove me mad!

I recently had to get a new key for my bravo as the remote slowly packed in and I couldn't cope with using the door lock. As mentioned fiat and UK insurance does not like us having access to the key code. However software exists with locksmiths who can pull the code out and then programme a new key. They have to dump all the existing key codes with an overwrite and the guy never asked for my blue key so after he'd gone I realised my new remote key and old remote key started the car, but the original blue spare does not. Stupidly I never asked for the code either to use with mes in future. Anyway. Cost me 220 quid. Worth it imo to have the remote back. Drove me mad!
Fiat dealerships can/will get the Code Card details for you (had them do it for my Stilo & Idea). Go to the parts department not the front desk and ask them, they charge anywhere from £20-£40+ for the service. ONLY a Fiat dealer can request the info through the agency (Retaina Group) that stores the codes, you should get the key code, immobiliser code, radio code. They usually have it within the hour once requested and just email you over the details. Some parts departments will say they can't do it but they can and are just being idle/lazy/awkward.... You'll need your V5 etc. when requesting them though.

Fiat dealerships can/will get the Code Card details for you (had them do it for my Stilo & Idea). Go to the parts department not the front desk and ask them, they charge anywhere from £20-£40+ for the service. ONLY a Fiat dealer can request the info through the agency (Retaina Group) that stores the codes, you should get the key code, immobiliser code, radio code. They usually have it within the hour once requested and just email you over the details. Some parts departments will say they can't do it but they can and are just being idle/lazy/awkward.... You'll need your V5 etc. when requesting them though.

Wow, it'll be brilliant if they can do this now, opens up the possibility for all sorts of CAN and ECU based fun 🤘

When we have purchased several Fiats from new we made the sale a condition on the dealer getting and giving us the code. Did this for our Punto HGT, Coupe, Stilo Abarth, Barchetta and Croma 2005. Never had a problem apart from one occasion where all our personal details and codes were faxed back by the NVSR/Retaina group to the completely WRONG garage for anybody to pick up! Name, address of car location, bank details, etc. Complete screw up. So much for so called increased security. Told them and Fiat so but never really got an apology. These days I would get the authorities on to them for personal data breach and seek compensation!

Sadly as I mentioned for 500X and possibly other later models the code is kept on Fiat servers. I don't know for sure with the 500X / later the code can be extracted from the ECU/Body Computer. I would suspect that the server code and car codes are encrypted key pairs so extraction is going to be of no use and only the correct kit and communication directly with Fiat servers.

Hopefully your 2014 500L is not like the 2015 500X and later models.

I got this card with my Ducato based Rapido MH. which code is required by MES? The electronic is 5 digits separated by full stops. The mechanical is 2 letters followed by 5 digits examplecard.jpg

I got this card with my Ducato based Rapido MH. which code is required by MES? The electronic is 5 digits separated by full stops. The mechanical is 2 letters followed by 5 digitsView attachment 424788
If you ever needed to use it, then the program would guide you through what codes to use, it likely wants electronic but I’d not be surprised if it asked for both to confirm you have the car, it’s all completely academic unless you want to actually program a new key and you’re doing it yourself.

The likely reason you have this is that it’s a motor home. Fiat dealerships remove the key cards from the cars pack of documents before delivery as motor homes tend to be delivered to the converters/builders they don’t tend to ever see a fiat dealer until they need servicing or any other work done, by which time the dealer has no right to take the card as they never sold you the van

If you ever needed to use it, then the program would guide you through what codes to use, it likely wants electronic but I’d not be surprised if it asked for both to confirm you have the car, it’s all completely academic unless you want to actually program a new key and you’re doing it yourself.

The likely reason you have this is that it’s a motor home. Fiat dealerships remove the key cards from the cars pack of documents before delivery as motor homes tend to be delivered to the converters/builders they don’t tend to ever see a fiat dealer until they need servicing or any other work done, by which time the dealer has no right to take the card as they never sold you the van
Basically agree with Kett's summation. Older Fiat models had these code cards but due to stupid UK insurance *rap stuff the cards were removed/destroyed and their contents then registered with the then NVSR bunch of dopes.

If you have a genuine code card then I believe that the info there on will be accepted by your vehicle's body computer via MES. Seem to recall this is a 5 digit number?

In the EU a FIAT dealer upon proof of ownership of the car / van will provide the code free of charge. I got my 9 years old Ducato with no card went to the dealer to ask for a code. The told me they will give it to me once I will have a permanent registration on my name. And they did.

Being in your place I'd try to get one during a trip abroad :D

Last edited:
My dealer supplied free of charge the cars code. They told me its policy now to supply the FOC. (Desira parts at Diss Norfolk) They could not have been more helpful and gave me hte code for all 3 Pandas.

......And so I shouild think as the car and its code number belong to its owner, not to them!!

A key case does not have the electronic insides and cannot be programmed. Its just a case.

I tried to obtain a key plip from an Italian supplier but it was a scam and I had to recover my money from pay pal. mI dont think mthey are available except from Fiat. I have been looking for many years.

Reprogarmming keys with MES is easy if you carefully follow the istructions and warnings. All Panda key transmitters are not the same and you cannot rely on getting another key and just reprogramming it.

As I got only 1 keyfob with my Ducato, I wanted to have a spare. I went to a local Fiat dealer, they told me it'd cost more than 400 EUR :D I called a key guy who helped me with a previous car, he asked for the van details and called me back with a price of around 150 EUR. Much better...

So I bought online a copy of the keyfob for around 10 EUR, on original MagnetiMarelli PCB board for a Ducato (apparently already pre-programmed for the model) for around 25 EUR, genuine MES for around 80 EUR and a bluetooth interface for around 40 EUR. The key will be cut for around 7 EUR. In total around 160-170 EUR. So I can say MES + interface are gifts :D

I think that also the PCB for Pandas should be available somewhere... If you want @The Panda Nut you can send me an image how your key looks like and the year of the car, so I could make some research locally. I'm based some 50-60 km away from the factory :)

My dealer supplied free of charge the cars code. They told me its policy now to supply the FOC. (Desira parts at Diss Norfolk) They could not have been more helpful and gave me hte code for all 3 Pandas.

......And so I shouild think as the car and its code number belong to its owner, not to them!!

A key case does not have the electronic insides and cannot be programmed. Its just a case.

I tried to obtain a key plip from an Italian supplier but it was a scam and I had to recover my money from pay pal. mI dont think mthey are available except from Fiat. I have been looking for many years.

Reprogarmming keys with MES is easy if you carefully follow the istructions and warnings. All Panda key transmitters are not the same and you cannot rely on getting another key and just reprogramming it.
Interesting to know, dealers use to charge anything up to £60 for the code card, in some cases they’d refuse to provide the card at all citing “security risks”.

The one big warning with coding new keys, is that if programming a new key you must have all the other keys, if not you program any absent keys out automatically, and they can never be programmed back in.

The one big warning with coding new keys, is that if programming a new key you must have all the other keys, if not you program any absent keys out automatically, and they can never be programmed back in.
As in post #3

I didnt realise 'missed' keys could never be re.entered ( would then require a virgin chip no doubt)

In the last couple of years the FIAT UK network have given A4 printouts rather than a physical card

Cost for the A4 paper has varied from £20 /£40 range generally... worth getting several quotes

As I got only 1 keyfob with my Ducato, I wanted to have a spare. I went to a local Fiat dealer, they told me it'd cost more than 400 EUR :D I called a key guy who helped me with a previous car, he asked for the van details and called me back with a price of around 150 EUR. Much better...

So I bought online a copy of the keyfob for around 10 EUR, on original MagnetiMarelli PCB board for a Ducato (apparently already pre-programmed for the model) for around 25 EUR, genuine MES for around 80 EUR and a bluetooth interface for around 40 EUR. The key will be cut for around 7 EUR. In total around 160-170 EUR. So I can say MES + interface are gifts :D

I think that also the PCB for Pandas should be available somewhere... If you want @The Panda Nut you can send me an image how your key looks like and the year of the car, so I could make some research locally. I'm based some 50-60 km away from the factory :)
The plip is the rounded end one and its from a 2019 Panda TA 4x4. If you have a source of blank ones I would be realy pleased to give them a try. I tried to reprogramme an old Bravo key but MES indicated the chip was not compatible.

I am not sure about this keys being unusable if missed in the programming phase. It may be true but there is no indication of this in MES and my Bravo had two plips on purchase. One didnt work so they ordered a second one to replace it. As an after thoiught they offered to repr[programme the duff one after wards and did so, which suggests you can use the keys but you have to do the full set at one go if you miss one you cannot just reprogramme the the one you missed, you have to restart the whole process. I have also been told that if I can get a used key thats got a compatible chip I can even reprogramme that. Until I have one or the other I dont know.

When you programme the keys you set the first as key 1 and the second as key two hence if you have another thatys missed that was previously say key two you cannot just add is as key three as the allocation of key numbers is step one of reprogramming.

Do let me know the source of the key plip / fobs please.

Back