Technical Replacing Cooling Liquid.

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing Cooling Liquid.

falul

Help with the cooling liquid

Hi, I would like to ask what type of cooling liquied should i buy ? (what color? I know there some blue,red,green and just water. what should I put ?

and another question is if you know some site that offer an online service-repair manual including information and maybe photos of the internal parts of the UNO ? (and maybe instrucations about replacing the cooling liquid, or other important services ?)
I can't get Haynes to my country so I would like to check about some Web site that offer the same information.

thanks
B.I.G uv

I am the owner of Fiat Uno 45 (999) 1990.

Hei.

The color might be just vegetable color or something. I don't know. I have only seen slightly blueish colors throughout the years. It looks almost like water. I would use 50% antifreeze (coolant) and 50% water to protect and prevent engine and cooling system from corrotion. Where I live it could be -35C (yepp - cold) and therefore I MUST have 50/50 so the coolant won't freeze to ice and crack the engine. I guess that's not a problem in Israel. But do not use only water - du to the corrotion. The system could be flushed with water though - the remove rust particles and other dirt, with a water hose if possible. Be sure to add coolant mixture afterwards.

To replace fluid, set temperature lever to max, and open the cap on the expansion tank (at radiator I guess). Disconnect the lower hose of the radiator and drain system for a while. There might be a draining plug somewhere as a connection between some hoses. Open this as well. If the system revealed signs of corrotion, flush the system with a hose as described above. Then, reconnect bottom hose and drain plug. Fill with pre-mixed coolant until top mark. Tighten top cap and start the engine. Let it run until the fan cuts in at about 90-100C. Allow to cool and eventually top the expansion tank again if there is room for some more.

This is what I did, there might be a more correct way to do this. For instance, I never found the drain plug someone once told me about - but it worked fine anyway. You might add from 4 to 6 litres depending on model.

Morten.

Back