Technical Replaced gear shifter cables, now I can't get in to reverse

Currently reading:
Technical Replaced gear shifter cables, now I can't get in to reverse

Plimbo

Hoping someone can help as I've been at my wits end trying to fix this and I just want it over ahaha.

The gear linkage cable responsible for moving across the gearbox broke while I was driving, which left me unable to shift over from the first and second gears. I've since replaced both cables and now I can shift from 1 - 5 but can't get in to reverse. It feels like there's something 'in the way' if that makes sense.

Does anyone have any clues as to what is causing this or how I might be able to fix it? Any help would be massively appreciated

Edit: Probably should add, it's a 2005 Fiat Punto mk2 1.2

Last edited:
Hoping someone can help as I've been at my wits end trying to fix this and I just want it over ahaha.

The gear linkage cable responsible for moving across the gearbox broke while I was driving, which left me unable to shift over from the first and second gears. I've since replaced both cables and now I can shift from 1 - 5 but can't get in to reverse. It feels like there's something 'in the way' if that makes sense.

Does anyone have any clues as to what is causing this or how I might be able to fix it? Any help would be massively appreciated

Edit: Probably should add, it's a 2005 Fiat Punto mk2 1.2

1. If you remove the gear cables you can select the gears quite easily by moving the levers on the gearbox.

But

2. With the cables connected reverse gear is only possible if the plastic piece under the knob is raised before you try to move the gear knob back into reverse.

If you move the gear knob left to right in neutral it feels like there is an equal amount of movement from left to right compared to the middle position where you are not fighting the spring. There is a hard knocking stop on the right. If you then lift the plastic piece under the lever there is much more movement to the right and you don't get that hard knocking stop on the right. The hard knocking stop is caused by the mechanism just under the gear knob.

I have photographed the position of the levers for reverse gear.

The top lever gives you the left right position of the gear knob inside the car.

Attachments

• P8181396.JPG
    P8181396.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 150
  • P8181397.JPG
    P8181397.JPG
    399.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Thank you so much for the reply Judderbar, and for providing pictures too it's really appreciated. Sorry I just want to make sure I'm understanding this right - When I go right on the gearbox I do have to lift the gear knob to reach gear 5. Does this mean I need to re-adjust the top lever cable?

Sorry to bump this thread, just wanted to add a couple pictures of the cables but I think it's been too much time to edit my message!

top_cable.jpgbottom_cable.jpg

Here's a video of it in action, the start is me trying to get in to reverse, where you hear the loud clinking. After that is me trying the other gears.

Last edited:
I see you have that adjustable top cable.

On my car the lever is almost pointing exactly backwards (not quite) if you are knocking against the reverse stop under the gear lever.

That might be your problem. The cable needs to be shorter using the adjustment.

Which might explain why you are talking about lifting the gear knob to get 5th - you are already hard against the reverse stop before you can select 5th.

To be clear to get reverse you lift the lift the collar under the gear knob. You dont lift the gear knob to get any of the gears.

In these pictures the car is in neutral with the gear lever tightly pulled to the right without lifting the reverse collar.

The camera is not straight onto the gearbox. In reality the lever is only very slightly not quite reaching pointing backwards.

Attachments

• P8191400.JPG
    P8191400.JPG
    422.1 KB · Views: 94
  • P8191402.JPG
    P8191402.JPG
    436.8 KB · Views: 94
  • P8191404.JPG
    P8191404.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I see you have that adjustable top cable.

On my car the lever is almost pointing exactly backwards (not quite) if you are knocking against the reverse stop under the gear lever.

That might be your problem. The cable needs to be shorter using the adjustment.

Which might explain why you are talking about lifting the gear knob to get 5th - you are already hard against the reverse stop before you can select 5th.

To be clear to get reverse you lift the lift the collar under the gear knob. You dont lift the gear knob to get any of the gears.

In these pictures the car is in neutral with the gear lever tightly pulled to the right without lifting the reverse collar.

The camera is not straight onto the gearbox. In reality the lever is only very slightly not quite reaching pointing backwards.

Judderbar you are a legend. I was able to get in to fifth and then in to reverse by lifting the collar as I shifted. Thank you so much for your time and help, I appreciate it immensely.

Hi
Newbie here. Mine is Punto sporting 1.4 (2004/5) with 6 speed gears -Following on this discussion - about to change both cables -not done this before
Have a floppy gear stick-can only get 1st, 2ndthankfully - gear stick only moving up down, not sideways -
I searched everywhere for a visual animation or a video of the cable linkage actions operating normal when engaging via gear stick - is there one?
This is the closest video Ive seen - and helpful to some degree -
Will take battery out to access the cables etc.
Very helpful forum on all matters
Brian

Hi
Newbie here. Mine is Punto sporting 1.4 (2004/5) with 6 speed gears -Following on this discussion - about to change both cables -not done this before
Have a floppy gear stick-can only get 1st, 2ndthankfully - gear stick only moving up down, not sideways -
I searched everywhere for a visual animation or a video of the cable linkage actions operating normal when engaging via gear stick - is there one?
This is the closest video Ive seen - and helpful to some degree -
Will take battery out to access the cables etc.
Very helpful forum on all matters
Brian
Hi!, Did you solved the problem? I've the exact same issue, I've to lift the knob in order to get into 1st and 2nd gear (I've 6 gears), and to get to Reverse, I've to push really hard to get into it.

It's not quite all adjusted, I was looking for a video for a better understanding.

Thanks!

Back