General Replace timing belt ?

Currently reading:
General Replace timing belt ?

fieldwaypanda

Hi,
We have a 2013 PANDA 1.2 POP , bought as a 'pre reg' with 5 miles on the clock.

We've had the car almost 8 years but it has only done 13000 miles.

During that time we have had no problems whatsoever and it has been serviced ( oil & filters ) a few times by local garage.

It is only used locally once or twice a week, never on motorways.

Do you think it should have new timing belt fitted ?

Thanks

Hi.
When i used to work repairing industrial cleaning equipment one of our customers were Gates Belts in Dumfries.

I got a good chat one day with an engineer who told me the truth about belts.

They actually have a use by date, any that have been on the shelf for one year must be discarded. Short runs and many stop starts are hard on a belt, their life is shortened (Those using stop start beware) They can last longer than the recommended life and mileage but this is just a belt and braces approach (Pardon the Pun)

Always follow the manufacturers recommendations as some engines run more than the valve train from a belt which subjects them to more load thus a shorter life than some applications. Never get oil on them, never run them without the covers and seals, ensure the belt is tensioned correctly, they virtually do not stretch. Had an interesting tour of the factory, nice people.

Hi,
We have a 2013 PANDA 1.2 POP , bought as a 'pre reg' with 5 miles on the clock.

We've had the car almost 8 years but it has only done 13000 miles.

During that time we have had no problems whatsoever and it has been serviced ( oil & filters ) a few times by local garage.

It is only used locally once or twice a week, never on motorways.

Do you think it should have new timing belt fitted ?

Thanks

Absolutely, yes. I would also take a close look at the tyres and hoses. Tyres look at the sidewall for cracking and into the tread grooves.

I have worked with and around polymers and elastomers (rubber) for over 30 years now, manufacturing and R&D.

As murphyv310 relates re a belt manufacturer, elastomers age with time regardless of their use. The compound can be designed to reduce these ageing effects but it still occurs and can be caused by heat, oxygen in the air, ozone, UV etc. This is environmental ageing if you like. Areas more vulnerable are those under strain (tension) so tyres where the tyre sits in one position and the side wall is naturally bulging and sharp changes in tread profile due to the internal inflation pressures. The same for hoses, and belts.

A lack of use sometimes is detrimental as the protection system such as those intended to protect from UV and Ozone. These are often wax based mixed into the rubber compounds and intended to work to the surface with flexing to produce a waxy protective layer on the surface (you can sometimes see this on new bushes as a white "bloom").

Fluids (oil and brake fluid for example) can cause chemical ageing and as stated above it's never a good idea to get oil or the like on belts especially. The effect here is typically to swell and soften the elastomer (and therefore weaken it). Elastomers would normally be selected to reduce these effects for a particular application however there will always be compromises since the dominant failure mode for an elastomer in a timing or auxiliary belt would be fatigue, characterised by cracks; elastomers with good chemical resistance are not typically great for fatigue resistance.

As the comments from the manufacturer Gates (in a post above) say most parts have a shelf life regardless of use. This extends to o-rings too.

I have an Alfa based kitcar that has been garaged since 2002 and I am now contemplating having to replace most of the bits of rubber or at least have a close look at them; cambelts (flat 4 Sud engine) will be a definite!

A long post for which I apologise but maybe it gives some useful background? As ever I will add the caveat that this is a personal opinion based on personal experience, however there are bucket loads of reference material out there.

I have a Gates kit all ready for a belt swap this summer. I can't find any sell by/use by date on the belt or the box.

Ooh, off-topic I know, so apologies to the OP, but do please tell us more!

Haha, yes my apologies too.

Minari Sprint kit based on a Sud Sprint Veloce which was beyond my recovery (welding) skills at the time although very much a classic now.

The Minari used all the Sud/33 mechanicals while using the bespoke body shell. Probably best described as resembling an MX5 in style and execution, although the body shape and design remained unique plenty of images out there if you search. Head lights MX3 tear shaped.

This was a very well thought out kit and with an all up weight of 800kg... I'll say no more. I stopped using it regularly when children came along and am currently torn between a quick restoration or "for sale as is"!

I have a Gates kit all ready for a belt swap this summer. I can't find any sell by/use by date on the belt or the box.

There's no requirement for a sell/use/eat by date to my knowledge but there's probably a manufacturer's code printed on the packaging that would give an insight (maybe only to manufacturer :D). Unless you purchased it years ago I would anticipate that it was fine; supply chains these days are so finely tuned and so little stock held anywhere that its unlikely to have been laying around for too long.

Be worried if the price is in £, s, d.....

There's no requirement for a sell/use/eat by date to my knowledge but there's probably a manufacturer's code printed on the packaging that would give an insight (maybe only to manufacturer :D). Unless you purchased it years ago I would anticipate that it was fine; supply chains these days are so finely tuned and so little stock held anywhere that its unlikely to have been laying around for too long.

Be worried if the price is in £, s, d.....

Thank you. I'll get it carbon dated. :D

Minari Sprint kit based on a Sud Sprint Veloce which was beyond my recovery (welding) skills at the time although very much a classic now.

Ah, I remember the Minari - like an MX5 with a touch of TVR in profile. I reckon I'd give my left gonad for a rust-free Sprint Veloce - it's one of my all-time favourite cars. I still miss mine. :(

Last edited:
Back