Technical Timing belt change now misfire

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt change now misfire

xeuyi

Hello, I have a 2013 1.2 petrol panda. I recently changed the alternator belt and the timing belt, making marks to ensure the cogs were in the same place as before I took the old belt off.

I started the engine and it sounded better and smoother than it was before. No issues.
However, I took it for a drive and I got misfires cylinder 1 and cylinder 4. Pull over and restart engine: idling fine with no apparent issues. Again misfire cylinder 1 and 4 when driving after 10 minutes or so. But always fine when restarting.

I read online this may be due to the timing being 1 tooth off so today I opened it all up to check. After checking I am 100% confident the timing is the same as it was with the old belt and it is lining up with the markings I made.

Has anyone had a similar issue or any ideas as to what it may be? The spark plugs, coil pack and injectors are a few months old. I haven't moved anything to see if the misfires move with it. It seems too much of a coincidence it happened just after the belt change.

Thanks in advance

Hello, I have a 2013 1.2 petrol panda. I recently changed the alternator belt and the timing belt, making marks to ensure the cogs were in the same place as before I took the old belt off.

I started the engine and it sounded better and smoother than it was before. No issues.
However, I took it for a drive and I got misfires cylinder 1 and cylinder 4. Pull over and restart engine: idling fine with no apparent issues. Again misfire cylinder 1 and 4 when driving after 10 minutes or so. But always fine when restarting.

I read online this may be due to the timing being 1 tooth off so today I opened it all up to check. After checking I am 100% confident the timing is the same as it was with the old belt and it is lining up with the markings I made.

Has anyone had a similar issue or any ideas as to what it may be? The spark plugs, coil pack and injectors are a few months old. I haven't moved anything to see if the misfires move with it. It seems too much of a coincidence it happened just after the belt change.

Thanks in advance

Hi :)

Did your internet search bring you here..?

Many recent posts are about a 'misfire' after a belt change

The tooth positions are correct.. BUT a new belt will be fractionally 'shorter' than a worn one

The ECU sees this relative shift in top and bottom timing signals as an error..
So puts on a light

IF you removed plugs to do this job..or course you may have introduced another fault..

Please feel free to tell us more

That's a fairly recent model with VVT and its cambelt can't be changed properly without the use of locking tools and loosening the camshaft pulley bolt. Of course lots of people here will argue against this, but it's still a gamble. These engines do not have any timing marks on the pulleys.

Does EML (engine management light) blink? Then it's ready for the phonic wheel relearn procedure. If it doesn't blink, then it's probably timing related as mentioned above. You've already read thru the cambelt change guide?

Of course, you could get lucky if it's just a few loose spark plugs. Remove the top cover of the cambelt and check belt tension by hand. It could be misaligned crankshaft pulley. See that from the guide.

Back