Technical Fiat Panda 2012 TwinAir 0.9 Engine Misfire on Cold Starts

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Panda 2012 TwinAir 0.9 Engine Misfire on Cold Starts

Wiggo008

I've been having a bit of an issue with my Panda and would appreciate any advice.

So here's the rundown of how this all played out. A little over a month ago I changed the air filter, oil filter, and engine oil on the car (oil selected as per manual). Everything went smoothly (and no I didn't leave the plastic bag on the air filter). A couple days after doing all this, the car started to mis-fire on cold starts. This lasts between 30 seconds to a minute usually. Also worth noting, I had recently filled up on normal unleaded instead of super for the first time.

I had the RAC come out to look at it, and by chance, when they turned on the engine it worked fine. Anyway, he plugged in his diagnostics machine and it spat out stuff regarding the spark plugs and ignition coils. So to be on the safe side, I replaced both spark plugs and ignition coils. I thought this would have fixed it, but the next day (yet again on a cold start) the car misfired. This time it was different, and I was driving perfectly fine for a couple minutes before it happened.

Going forward a month now to the present, I have looked into potential issues and found the following:
  • MAF
  • MultiAir System Filter
  • Battery
  • Ignition coil connection leads (potentially damp?)
This morning when I left for work, the engine yet again misfired for around 30 seconds, so when I got to my first junction I turned the car off and back on again, and guess what, it worked. Some mornings it works perfectly fine, and others horrifically.

Also worth noting, I have now switched back to super unleaded and have been through 2 full tanks of E5, so I should have flushed out the E10.

I really can't figure out a pattern other than that it happens in the morning, but not every morning. If anyone has had a similar issue I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks

Hi 🙂
Did you change any ECU parameters when changing the oil?

What oil was in before?
What have you changed to..?

There Is a thread running the last few weeks about ColdStarting twinairs 😉

Mine only run on Supermarket E10 and no issues..

What age is your Panda?

Did you use Selenia oil?

We had the same issue on ours years ago following an oil change. Problem was I used the exact correct grade of oil but it wasn't the Selenia (Petronas) as specifically specified. Changing to that, the problem went away as did another issue of being quite difficult to pass MOT emissions on the Lambda readout.

The Multiair unit runs on quite tight tolerances and was designed and developed to run on the Selenia Oil.

Did you use Selenia oil?

We had the same issue on ours years ago following an oil change. Problem was I used the exact correct grade of oil but it wasn't the Selenia (Petronas) as specifically specified. Changing to that, the problem went away as did another issue of being quite difficult to pass MOT emissions on the Lambda readout.

The Multiair unit runs on quite tight tolerances and was designed and developed to run on the Selenia Oil.

@Wiggo008 ? 🤔

Back