Tuning Remapping / Computer ECU?

Currently reading:
Tuning Remapping / Computer ECU?

Hey guys, more questions from me!

I've seen the performance chips on ebay for however much (£40 I think), and my questions are they really any good / easy to fit?

Also would I need new sets of keys and stuff if I was to fit a new computer?

Hopefully you guys can shed some light on it for me :)

Dont do it!, waste of time and money. They only trick the ecu into thinking its cold ALL the time and it overfuels. Leads to less fuel consumption, roughter running and all sorts of other problems.
See HERE a few lines down the first post you will see links to threads discussing these chips.

These "chips" that are really stretching the meaning of the word chip, in that they are in fact plain old resistors. The type of electronic component that there are hundreds of in your computer. They cost, for the absolute best, guaranteed accurate to +/- 1% high current versions less than 20p. These guys that sell them on eBay are complete sheisters!

They will NOT improve the performance of your car. Don't even think about fitting one. At best they'll lose you several miles per gallon, and make your car smoky and rough. At worst they can cause all sorts of damage to expensive things like maf sensors and lambda sensors which will cost you a great deal to sort out!

Dammit, I have a mk2, guess this isn't an option for that, though it IS one of the very first mk2's, on a V plate. But it's the 1254cc, though it's still the same fire engine.

Wants some more horses (and with a bit of luck it might sort my stuttering problem too! :O)

Back