Styling Refitting rubstrips - Mk1

Currently reading:
Styling Refitting rubstrips - Mk1

Just wondering if it's possible to refit the side rubstrips once they've been removed from a car - or is the only option to buy new ones?

I'm planning on replacing the ones on my 60 with the ones found on the 60 team (they seem to be slightly shorter). If they can be refitted, I'll have a look around the scrappy for some, otherwise I guess it'll be fiat for some new ones (if they still do them). Any idea on the cost of new ones?

Cheers.

the problem will be getting them off the other car without damaging them but if you get them off you can easily attach them to your car with 3m tape or tigerseal etc.,

I agree, if they have come off and still lie flat, double sided automotive tape is available from body and paint suppliers and probably from Amazon and eBay for this. Halfords supply but are costly. If the strips are twisted or bent they may not refix properly and could look very poor if refitted, You will need to clean the old tape off the body and the trims before refitting and thoroughly clean the paint to ensure the tape sticks Take great care and dont push them on hard until certain they are correctly aligned. You MAY be able to reposition but rule of thumb is you get one chance so go slow and get a helper if necessary so you get them level. Work from one end and press and hold for a couple of minutes. If on a door check BOTH ends fit and dont snag as the doors open. The tape is a few pounds a roll. Tape should be very neatly aligned to the edge of the back of the trim to avoid it looking poor and to keep water out. Leave a small gap in the tape in the centre at the bottomh to allow drainage. You may need two runs of tape on the back of each trim. If its an end thats loose I have found that cleaning the old tape off with a razor blade is best then fit the tape to the door or bumper first and press the trim back, Its very fiddly.

Back