Technical Red steering wheel light

Currently reading:
Technical Red steering wheel light

About five mins or so possible, anywhere from 5-10 minutes I guess.

About five mins or so possible, anywhere from 5-10 minutes I guess.

Confused me now .. it doesnt take much.. :eek:

Right.. so on a typical journey..

Its fine for 10 mins..

Then light comes on.. you carry on driving

Then the light tends to go off as you are ending your journey

How long has engine been running :

A : total

B : with the steering light on

Thanks

Confused me now .. it doesnt take much.. :eek:

Right.. so on a typical journey..

Its fine for 10 mins..

Then light comes on.. you carry on driving

Then the light tends to go off as you are ending your journey

How long has engine been running :

A : total

B : with the steering light on

Thanks

Let’s says in total car is running for 15-20 minutes. Light comes on about 10 minutes after and then will stay on until I’m coming to the end of my journey. Just drive home (17 minutes - yes, I timed it: about 5/6 mile journey - no light this evening).

Also, just recapped from my other thread, when the c1002 fault came up on diagnostics. Battery was changed in November/December 2018. The light was an issue again in Dec 19, but after a long journey this seems to have solved it - cue light issue again November 20.

Twenty minute drive - 10 miles - no light this morning. On a side note, yesterday when I got in my car and looked at then bottom of the screen, I noticed a corner of paper (after much wrestling) I got it out and it was an old parking display ticket from 2 years ago! It was very damp but it’s all out now. I also noticed the other evening that my back window was ever so slightly left open (God knows how long for) so no wonder the car kept misting up so much and was so cold.

This probably wont affect the steering, but do check your air intake for the heater.
If you open the bonnet and is a flashlight to look below the wipers you will see an air space. Water can collect in there and leak into the car. At the bottom there are two split rubber bungs (aka "duck bills") that should let water drain out. They do get clogged with dirt so check they are clear.

This probably wont affect the steering, but do check your air intake for the heater.
If you open the bonnet and is a flashlight to look below the wipers you will see an air space. Water can collect in there and leak into the car. At the bottom there are two split rubber bungs (aka "duck bills") that should let water drain out. They do get clogged with dirt so check they are clear.

Oh I know all about duck bills - my very first issue lol. How I miss those simpler days lol.

I think at this point I'd be checking the main earth cable before doing anything else.

would the fact it failed on the two days we had frost and only on the way to to work after the car had been sitting overnight but not the return journey hint otherwise ?

started after the car hadn't been used much

the earth for the power steering is internal in the footwell ?

all we can do is an educate guess. For this type of problem substitution is the only sure method

although the battery earth strap that attaches to the gearbox was a common fail point on the Puntos which stop the cranking or cranks slowly I have yet to see one fail after Fiat fixed the problem around 2005. Time will tell how the latter ones without insulation hold up as Fiat has changed the design again.

But then again its free to check

As is the tightness of the alternator belt assuming the car not got aircon

would the fact it failed on the two days we had frost and only on the way to to work after the car had been sitting overnight but not the return journey hint otherwise ?

started after the car hadn't been used much

the earth for the power steering is internal in the footwell ?

all we can do is an educate guess. For this type of problem substitution is the only sure method

although the battery earth strap that attaches to the gearbox was a common fail point on the Puntos which stop the cranking or cranks slowly I have yet to see one fail after Fiat fixed the problem around 2005. Time will tell how the latter ones without insulation hold up as Fiat has changed the design again.

But then again its free to check

As is the tightness of the alternator belt assuming the car not got aircon

I did wonder this. Car hardly used at the weekend, except for a five minute drive.

My alternator was charging but not very well. It was diagnosed by watching the system voltage which did not recover as it should after cold start. The battery never went flat, but a new alternator was fitted and steering problems were solved.

I think the plan of attack is:

1. Wait and see when/if light comes on again.
2. Take to garage and let them do diagnostics.
3. Of fault code comes back, ask them to check battery, connections and alternator first to see if that’s the culprit.
4. If not, make a decision whether to invest in having work done or trading car in.

Can you trade a car in that’s got a fault code?

The best course is to spend £5 on voltmeter to measure what's actually going on when you start and drive the car. If it's fine you've spent minimal money. However, an alternator that can't cope with the load will cause the voltage to drop. Low voltage is known to cause the power steering to trip.

I think the plan of attack is:

1. Wait and see when/if light comes on again.
2. Take to garage and let them do diagnostics.
3. Of fault code comes back, ask them to check battery, connections and alternator first to see if that’s the culprit.
4. If not, make a decision whether to invest in having work done or trading car in.

Can you trade a car in that’s got a fault code?

correct

and yes you can sell but you have to declare known faults

a garage or buyer will use this fault as leverage

I do. I have bought cars with airbag, steering and ABS faults cheaply as I know I can fix them.

The best course is to spend £5 on voltmeter to measure what's actually going on when you start and drive the car. If it's fine you've spent minimal money. However, an alternator that can't cope with the load will cause the voltage to drop. Low voltage is known to cause the power steering to trip.

I wouldn’t even know how to attach this

15 minute drive home, 5 miles - no light. First full day this week with no light.

Back