Technical Rear wheel bearing change with drum brakes

Currently reading:
Technical Rear wheel bearing change with drum brakes

Splash

How easy is it to fit a rear wheel bearing on a 2010 1.2 Fiat 500 Pop with rear drum brakes?

Do the brake shoes/springs have to be stripped first?

All the guides I can find show Fiat 500s with rear discs, and having to remove the brake carrier etc.

Anyone have a link to a guide with rear drums? Thanks in advance

Very easy! No need to remove shoes, just need a 32mm socket and a way of tightening it up again (I use 600mm breaker bar).

Video shows it here about 5min in:

A great video find - thank you, rmjbn1
Does anyone know the torque setting for the hub nut?

Think it's 280NM !
I can confirm that 280NM according to John Haynes. Also says "do not reuse nut" - probably because it's a nyloc not because it's a stretch design of some sort. I've had the rear hubs off our Panda 169 a couple of times when working on the brakes and just reused the nuts - so far no problems. Even the nyloc action still feels like it's gripping. The bearings are of the type which have a solid one piece outer casing with two inner races which butt up against each other when the axle nut is tightened. Because the clearance/preload on the balls is controlled by the two inner races butting up against each other it's pretty much impossible to overtighten this type of bearing. Like rmjbn above I just use my 600mm power bar and lean on it moderately hard.

Back