Technical Large Wheel Gap Difference between near and offside rear

Currently reading:
Technical Large Wheel Gap Difference between near and offside rear

carpetmankent

Hi All,

Just purchased a 2021 Dolcevita with 9800 miles on the clock from FIAT main dealer in Kent and was delivered last week. Standing at the rear it looked a little tilted/crooked, so checking the wheel gaps the nearside from bottom of the centre of wheel cap to arch is 48cms, but the offside is 42 cms - a full 6 cms different. I mean it was obvious when looking since I can get my clenched fist in the near side wheel arch gap and not at all on the offside rear. Front gaps are the same between each side are the same (and seems in line with the rear offside) so the back left is higher by, what I think, seems a lot. It has gone back to the dealer, they said that is is mechanically fine and said the difference was normal... then just returned it. Have tried to rule out the driveway not being perfectly flat - though none of other cars exhibit this at all. Tyre pressures all the same. Matching tyres on all wheels. Any thoughts? Is the gap difference 'normal'?

Thanks

The only thing that I can think of that could affect the ride height is the springs, so checking the springs for damage is the first place I'd start. Taking the springs off and doing a side by side comparison is easier than you might think.

Actually I can think of another thing; a distorted twist beam. I'm wondering if this car has any damage repair history? A hard uncontrolled slide into the kerb could put the geometry out.

It wouldn't entirely surprise me if an incorrect spring had been fitted in the factory.

Last edited:
Obviously if dealer have supposedly checked it then it shouldn’t be a broken spring you’d hope! Incorrect spring fitted one side? Can you see if both springs have the same colored markings on them?
My money is on exactly this and I wouldnt trust a dealer to spot it!!!!!

And its definitely NOT as it should be.

Last edited:
Thank peeps - very useful info/advice - I got under the car and took some photos - seems to show the clear issue. Photos attached fromt hr same height - clearly the nearside is a whole lot higher! Goddam dealers :-(
It *might* be the angle but the nearside looks bent.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
Thanks for posting the pictures.

Now I'm wondering if some eejit has used a trolley jack under the beam and bent it.

Fiat's workshop documentation very clearly states than you should never lift the car using a jack anywhere under the rear beam.

Given that you've only recently bought this car, I'd be wanting the selling dealer to sort this by replacing whatever has been damaged with new OEM parts.

Can you please do one quick check for me - does the car still have its all its original tyres?

Last edited:
Youve spent your money and the dealer has a responsability to supply the vehicle in a safe and drivable condition! take it straight back to them asap!.

The shock absorber in one photo is extended further than the other - would this be a symptom or possibly a cause
It may be a symptom but it's unlikely to be a cause. Worn dampers don't affect the ride height, they just dont, er, 'damp' as well as they should. I suppose they could theoretically seize up solid in extended storage, but I've never seen this happen.

If the springs are mismatched, or the end of one has broken off, this will affect the ride height. The only way to tell for sure is to remove them and compare them side by side. If one is compressed more than the other when fitted, this could just be a symptom of a warped or damaged twist beam.

I'm thinking that the best place to get a second opinion would be a bodyshop; they spend all day looking at wonky cars and working out how to fix them.

Last edited:
You need to take the photos from the symetrically matched positions and exactly the sme height.
I am thinking this may be an axle that was manufactured worngly. I had a caravan that had two n/s brake backplates on it. They were welded and the whole axle had to be repalced. Springs look original and all OK

Thing is, either the springs could be mismatched, or the twist beam could be bent; with the weight of the car on its wheels, either could be compensating for the other.

If there's no evidence of any damage, the car could have been like this since it was built.

There have certainly been cases here in the past when brand new cars have needed twist beam replacement under warranty due to out of tolerance parts.

@carpetmankent, is there any evidence of uneven tyre wear?

My money is on a faulty spring, maybe somebody excessively compressing them, using a set of spring compressors (to replace a broken one) instead of taking the bottom tray off, or just wrong heat treatment/rubbish steel.
60mm is a lot, and would certainly bug me.

If you've just bought it, then it should go back pronto.

Hi All,

Just purchased a 2021 Dolcevita with 9800 miles on the clock from FIAT main dealer in Kent and was delivered last week. Standing at the rear it looked a little tilted/crooked, so checking the wheel gaps the nearside from bottom of the centre of wheel cap to arch is 48cms, but the offside is 42 cms - a full 6 cms different. I mean it was obvious when looking since I can get my clenched fist in the near side wheel arch gap and not at all on the offside rear. Front gaps are the same between each side are the same (and seems in line with the rear offside) so the back left is higher by, what I think, seems a lot. It has gone back to the dealer, they said that is is mechanically fine and said the difference was normal... then just returned it. Have tried to rule out the driveway not being perfectly flat - though none of other cars exhibit this at all. Tyre pressures all the same. Matching tyres on all wheels. Any thoughts? Is the gap difference 'normal'?

Thanks
You say non of your other cars exhibit this problem but I would still measure when parked on a different area just to be sure.

Have you scanned the QR codes on the labels on the springs, hopefully this would tell you
if they are different. I’d ask the dealer to show you some other cars with this kind of
difference in ride height if they say it’s normal, from your OP presume they could see the
difference but just said it’s normal which likely to rule out your drive not being level.

Last edited:
The paint mark codes on the springs look the same in photos look the same so the springs "should" be I identical.
They could be removed to see if same length ? And could be swapped side to side to see if the uneven space between bump stop to spring pan moves side to side.
The twist beam could Well be bent.

It is definately NOT correct.

Last edited:
Back