Technical Large Wheel Gap Difference between near and offside rear

Currently reading:
Technical Large Wheel Gap Difference between near and offside rear

I was thinking more if the damper was physically different, as in slightly longer or because it's from a different model etc...

I know they should be replaced in pairs, but a lot of people don't.

I once put the wrong weight fork oil in a motor bike I had many moons ago and that made the front end behave quite differently...!

After 35 years in engineering I've learned not to discount anything...

I also had a BMW that was always a little lopsided. That vexed me for a long time even after I'd changed pretty much all of the suspension!!

That car ended up with a machined spacer strategicly fitted...

I am very curious of the outcome on this one...

I was thinking more if the damper was physically different, as in slightly longer or because it's from a different model etc...
It still won't affect the static ride height. The damper will just take up whatever position its mounting holes are in. Dampers don't put any static load on the suspension.
I once put the wrong weight fork oil in a motor bike I had many moons ago and that made the front end behave quite differently...!
For sure the dynamic performance will be massively affected if the dampers are out of spec for any reason; that's what they're for.

If you put a badly mismatched set of rear dampers on the car it'll handle like a pig, but it won't affect the static ride height.

It still won't affect the static ride height. The damper will just take up whatever position its mounting holes are in. Dampers don't put any static load on the suspension.
Unless one is overly large or short, and it's hitting the end points.

Back