Technical Rear washer not working

Currently reading:
Technical Rear washer not working

RickF

Shell V-Power FTW
Hi,
My rear washer has recently stopped spraying any water, although I can still hear the pump noise and can't find any water leaking. I have a mk2b punto, any ideas where I can check and how to check etc.

Thanks.

Pop the rear washer out, remove hose and make sure its not the jet blocked. Operating the switch should produce water.

If not, trace the pipework from the container/pump assy, and find the non return valve (wee plastic thing with arrow on it) If its blocked/failed, replace.

Cheers

SPD

Thanks for the reply.

How do I remove the rear washer, there is no access via the boot so I assume I just pull the washer to get it out?

There is a rubber grommet in the boot where I can see the water pipe and wires etc but its no where near the actual washer its self.

Well I managed to get the washer out but I guess the pipe wasn't attached or pulling the washer jet out has detached the pipe, how can I get the pipe out of the small hole to reconnect it? :bang:

Doh! I realised I can remove the brake light unit to get access to the pipe and underneath of the washer, I tried operating the rear washer without the jet on the end and no water came through the pipe, and I tried using the rear washer with everything re-attached, so I guess that means its the pump?

To get to the pump do I need to remove passenger wheel and remove the wheel arch? Any idea how much they cost?

Managed to get the wheel off and had a look at the pump....

I took the tubes off the pump and operated front and rear washers from the dash and water came out both sides of the pump...

I then reconnected the tubes with the front output going to the rear washer and vice versa but the rear washer still didn't work.

I also tried the above with the rear washer jet removed and still no water came out of the tube...

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Blow the rear pipe through from the back end with air from a bike cycle tyre pump. That will dislodge any dirt. Ask someone to watch the pump end - if no air comes out the pipe could be broken.

The pump seems to work fine, when disconnecting the tubes from the pump and operating the dash control water comes out both sides when operating the switch backwards and forwards...

I tried two different pumps and blew from both ends of the tubes for a minute or two to dislodge any crap but after doing this no water was coming through the pipe still...

If the pipe has somehow broken or twisted where does the pipe run, i.e. inside the car or underneath the car? It looks like it runs above the roof material on the inside of the car..

It's so strange how it could have become twisted or broken if its inside the car... :confused:

Any ideas how to get this sorted?

Last edited:
Back