Technical Rear brake caliper wind back tool

Currently reading:
Technical Rear brake caliper wind back tool

Not sure about this. I had a driver's side caliper that wound in anticlockwise. I think it was a one off for a pattern part. Near side should wind in anticlockwise with the caliper piston facing to the outside of the car.

I'm quite sure (as far as I can now... the more I think about it, the less certain I become Ahhhh Ahhhh) that my nearside caliper was a clockwise wind-in (looking at the "iron cross" of the piston).

I'll have my driver's side apart again before long (slight fluid leak from the seal) so I'll video it.. :D

At least we knows that the pistons each wind in in a different direction. As above, when I wound mine in, one way felt it was pushing against something hard. The other way was quite fluid. I had the reservoir cap off to make it easier.. and there's always the tip about opening the bleed nipple slightly instead... (just more messy but probably better).

Ralf S.

Hi folks.
This is the handbrake cable adjust nut? Clockwise to tighten and anti clockwise to loosen off?
Also, mine looks a bit uneven, any ideas why that would be?
Cheers, and as always, tia.

Attachments

• 20190907_182959.jpg
    20190907_182959.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 36
Hi folks.
This is the handbrake cable adjust nut? Clockwise to tighten and anti clockwise to loosen off?
Also, mine looks a bit uneven, any ideas why that would be?
Cheers, and as always, tia.

I would check how the left hand cable is routed. It has a specific route to follow and yours might be passing through the wrong channel.

Alternatively, if it's remotely knackered looking, try sticking a new one on there. I remember when I replaced my cables that there are two different lengths available.. one is about 20cm shorter than the other. When I received mine (short cable in the longer cable packaging confused things even more) it looked like yours, AND I had to route it differently to get it to fit.

The proper length cable, correctly routed, is an easy and comfortable fit. If you have to struggle to get the cable to fit, then it's probably the wrong one.

Ralf S.

Back