Technical Rear brake caliper wind back tool

Currently reading:
Technical Rear brake caliper wind back tool

Anyone know anywhere in the Fife/Edinburgh/Glasgow to get the proper fiat tool cheap. I tried winding one back with pliers and g-clamp but if felt so tight I stopped before I broke anything. I called Arnold Clark in Dunfermline and they wanted £34.64+vat for the tool!!

Anyone know anywhere in the Fife/Edinburgh/Glasgow to get the proper fiat tool cheap. I tried winding one back with pliers and g-clamp but if felt so tight I stopped before I broke anything. I called Arnold Clark in Dunfermline and they wanted £34.64+vat for the tool!!
Did you read post #57 ?

As others have said - you need to ring around

Did you read post #57 ?

As others have said - you need to ring around

Yeah I did that but the price seemed to just go up! It was almost £60 at Parks motor group in Coatbridge. I think I'm going to buy one of the left handed ones from ebay to do the passenger side and use the right handed one I borrowed to do the drivers side.

Proper tools are half the job. And it is worth it. (y)

I don't know if it would be for me, I don't mind spending money on good quality tools that I'll use again and again, but from what what I've read on here the back pads last ages, and my OH doesn't drive fast so I think the next set will prob be the last it sees before we sell it. So it seems a lot for just one job.

I don't know if it would be for me, I don't mind spending money on good quality tools that I'll use again and again, but from what what I've read on here the back pads last ages, and my OH doesn't drive fast so I think the next set will prob be the last it sees before we sell it. So it seems a lot for just one job.
True but you always sell them in Classifieds when you sell the Stilo (seems to be quite a big demand).

...or simply pay to have the job done (strongly recommend you get a non-squeal guarantee though :))

True but you always sell them in Classifieds when you sell the Stilo (seems to be quite a big demand).

...or simply pay to have the job done (strongly recommend you get a non-squeal guarantee though :))

I normally as a rule don't let other people work on my cars unless I've seen their previous work. (too many bad past experiences with my own and other people's cars) If I hadn't already bought the pads I'd consider this.

I normally as a rule don't let other people work on my cars unless I've seen their previous work. (too many bad past experiences with my own and other people's cars) If I hadn't already bought the pads I'd consider this.

I'm sure a local mechanic of repute will fit supplied pads.

I am now a hairs' breadth from being an extremely unsupple septagenarian and get a very good local chap to do jobs that I am unable to do and supply most of the parts, even oil gear on occasion.

I'm sure if you explain he will do it, after all he is still going to make an hour on labour!

Last edited:
Hi lads.

I know Im digging up an old thread.

My question is. Which way you rewind? I live in Denmark (lefthanded vehicle FIAT STILO MW 2005). Or do I understand that they rewind counterclockwise on one side and clockwise on the other with separately tools?

Hi lads.

I know Im digging up an old thread.

My question is. Which way you rewind? I live in Denmark (lefthanded vehicle FIAT STILO MW 2005). Or do I understand that they rewind counterclockwise on one side and clockwise on the other with separately tools?

Hei. :)

Med kjøreretningen (framover) på begge sider.

Counterclockwise left side. Clockwise right side. Just like removing bicycle pedals.

Counterclockwise left side. Clockwise right side. Just like removing bicycle pedals.

That means I can buy the left handed tool?

Hejsan. Mener du at jeg bare behøver et værktøj til begge sider?

The tool is provided by your local Fiat garage. I can check the part number when I get home from work. Even if they say it can't be ordered, just give them the part number and say "yes it is orderable".

There are two threaded bars there, one left one right. Pretty straight forward when you see it. (y)

I just used an angle grinder disc key took about 45mins to do both sides a really simple job don't know what all the fuss is about.

Done the job today 2 min. before it began to pour rain down.

Bought a windback tool from Ebay (with a lefty and righty tool), some 25£. Took me less than 2 hours to replace al 4 discs and pads. Recommend use of proper tools.

UPATE: Just F.Y.I. the FIAT special tool (No is still available to order from main dealers (checked today) costing about £29 something + VAT so about £35 in all.
But I went ahead (because of slight grinding noise and ultimate lack of meat on the pad ) and tried with the G-clamp + spanner that came with a small angle grinder (for replacing the disks in the grinder) which seemed to work OK though doubtless the tool would be better, or a third hand!
Took about 30-40 mins per side without hurrying (excluding the unscheduled and sudden departure the A-shaped hand-brake spring on the back of one caliper (n/s) which took some compressing to refit - no-one ever mentioned that!).
Mine's an 2003 1.9 JTD Milti-wagon 80, with about 83k on clock and a very notchy gearchange helped by much judicious double de-clutching. If the clutch is going ithen its so far taken over a year to do so...anyone got any other ideas?

Hi folks
Did the "right" side (drivers side) this evening. Still got the other side to do of course but so far seemed to go fine (used the cube type tool which seemed to work fine). Only thing was the piston seemed to be anti clock wise wind back (contrary to this post and others in the same thread...). Did try a bit in both directions and it definitely looked like rewind anti clockwise (piston retreated into the caliper) and piston out for clockwise. Thought I had buggered something up (might still be what you guys are going to tell me....), but put it all back together and both the foot and hand brakes seem to work fine. Will see what happens with the other maybe tomorrow, but would appreciate any thoughts meantime....
Thanks.

When I changed my pads just recently I found the same thing.

The driver's side caliper (Bosch) was anti-clockwise to wind in.

My Laser wind-back tool only screws in one-way, so I used the tool "plate" (with the engagement lugs on it) and a screwdriver wedged into the slot to turn it, instead of the normal threaded rod that comes with the tool.

There was a hard resistance if I tried to turn the plate the other way.. but anti-clockwise was heavy but "fluid".. and wound the piston in. The nearside was regular clockwise wind-in, using the tool.

I suspect the confusion is caused by the direction the caliper is approached from.

I'm looking at the caliper piston from inside (i.e. remove the caliper from the mounts, drop out the pads and look at the pad mating-face of the piston).

Ralf S.

Last edited:
Back