Technical Random Part question

Currently reading:
Technical Random Part question

I could have sworn I had a thread like this already, but can't find it if I have.

Anyways. Sisleys needs a replacement nearside ball joint before next MOT (bit of an MOT failiure at the mo :eek:).

MOT not due until October, but it's obviously something that needs doing. Noticed by my college lecturer when changing CV joint.

Anyway, to the point. Will this be ok? :confused:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-PANDA-LO...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:10|39:1|240:1318

Item number: 390043739705 (I know some ebay links of the forum recently haven't been working).

Thanks in advanced. (y)

Jon.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Yes it will but without access to a hydraulic press to fit it I'd be somewhat dubious that a secure fit into the hub carrier could be acheived...

I think Pandavan has done it successfully though...

Good luck!!

Luke. (y)

Just checked Ricks link... It's all there, nice one Rick!!

Last edited:
Yes it will but without access to a hydraulic press to fit it I'd be somewhat dubious that a secure fit into the hub carrier could be acheived...

I think Pandavan has done it successfully though...

A hydraulic press to do what :confused:

OMG your scaring me Luke. Don't forget I don't do trial and error, I normally end up paying someone to do it when it comes to T&A jobs :eek:.

I thought I just slide CV joint out, pop old ball joint out, and new one in. Simple? Or not by the sounds of it :(

And the 2x4 hub carriers are different to 4x4 then? Donor 750L no good :confused:

Jon.

MEP, sorry to rain on your parade but changing a bottom ball joint is not a simple job. The ball joint is pressed into the recess on the hub carrier and is an interference fit. It takes TONS of pressure to do this and it must be fitted DEAD straight. It can be done (please read the thread I linked to in my earlier post) but it's much easier to change the entire hub carrier if you intend to do the job yourself. Check your local motor factor for a price, you may well be surprised. I only paid £18 for mine.

EDIT: Oh yes, the hub carrier is common to all models.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a spoilsport but the hub carrier is not the same on 2x4's as on 4x4's... As with all things 4x4 it costs more than twice as much and is only slightly but significantly different... I think the camber is set differently to accomodate longer travel. There is a thread explaining the differences somewhere and Petel (as usual; cheers!!) summed it up to me in a pm...

You won't get a 4x4 one for £18 unless you are very lucky!! (if you do, get half a dozen and I'm sure there are those on here, myself included, who'll take a few off your hands for stock!!)

Anyway the job is fairly easy, make sure you've got plenly of 17mm spanners though and a nice skinny socket; the bottom brake caliper holder bolt is a niggly little b1tch!!!

Have fun, it's a very satisfying job!!

All the best, Luke. (y)

OK, I've just done a quick search and found this thread:

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-classic/140126-pillars.html

Reading it, it seems that the holes which mount the hub carrier to the pillar are 12mm dia on the 4x4 and 10mm dia on the 4x2, with a very slight difference in angles through the centre lines of said holes.

Having read that, if I'd bought a 4x2 hub carrier by mistake, the original mounting bolts would have been too big. The one I bought went straight on with my original mounting bolts. Assuming the old one was never modified, I must have the correct one fitted.

Can anyone fault my logic?

hi mep
I'm on iPhone so have not read all of this thread

it is possible to hammer in the joint using a large socket that fits around the outer cast of the joint iv done it many times with the use of a vice

but if you are not confident to do this drop in to your local garage with the flange and joint and they might press it in for you for a drink (y)

With regard the hub carrier (in addition to the differences mentioned), I seem to recall someone saying that the 4x2 carrier is made from thinner metal than the 4x4 one.

As for fitting a new ball joint to the hub, a press is preferable but if you support the hub well (so it doesn't bend) some heavy hits with a hammer will knock the old one out. Same goes for fitting.
Anyway MEP, are you not studying engineering? It's about time you made friends with the lads in the workshop. I was always taking bits of car in to my uni workshop to get them to press stuff out/in (ooh er!) more often than not they would do nothing more than get their biggest persauder/spanner on the case.

Oh and another think, don't skimp on the new ball joint, I got the cheapest one I could (made in South America) and it had failed by the next year's MOT, and then I made the same mistake again! :bang:

Back