Technical Yet another headlight switch question

Currently reading:
Technical Yet another headlight switch question

ldelbanco

Hi all,

I've just bought a 1990 Panda 4x4 (in the US, no less!) and am working through the usual electrical gremlins to be expected form an old Italian masterpiece. Currently, I'm fighting a slightly odd issue - when I bought the car, the headlights didn't work at all. Replaced the switch, cleaned up the usual crusty grounds, and now they work great. In position 1 (one tick down from off), the parking lights, side lights, taillights, and instrument cluster lights all turn on perfectly. However, when I turn the headlights to position 2 on the switch, everything except the actual headlight beams turns off, which makes driving at night rather exciting. Looking inside the switch, and probing the wires with a multimeter it actually seems like that's the intention behind the design. Is this a normal phenomenon, do you think I could have the wrong switch, or is there something else I'm not smart enough to figure out?

Thanks in advance!

Sadly, it was doing exactly this before I touched the switch. It also can only go together one way, as it simply won’t do anything if you put it together backwards.

I just dragged my old Haynes manual off the shelf to look at the wiring diagrams. Bit complicated.
Now I've remembered, if I'm right, you've got a three-position switch up beside the speedo, or is it just on/off? Then a stalk on the column, with three positions, fully up is sidelights, middle is dipped, and fully down is main beam.
Correct me if I've remembered incorrectly, I last had one of these Jan 2000.
I'll study the diagrams again, and try to work out what they mean, then post pics and explanation. Might not be until the weekend.

There's a three-position switch on the dash (this one, to be precise), and a switch on the column that's only for the high beams as far as I know, either to turn them on or flash. What's most baffling to me is that all the lights work independently, but not together...

Also, if you're willing and able, I'd love a photo of the wiring diagram - I haven't been able to find the correct one online and that'd obviously be a huge help towards diagnosing this.

Sorry about the delay, been a busy week.
Attached are the pages from the Haynes manual (book 793) applicable to your lights.
If you can find one, this would be a good purchase for you. Mine is a blue cover, for vehicles up to 1993, the later version included vehicles up to 1995. Either will give you what you need to keep this car going.
I'm not sure if a digital edition exists, as teh website states print copy only, but still mentions a digital edition.
This one says it would post to the US. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26610696...2r%2B5%2BggMGQ%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675
Our international postal system is broken at the moment, resulting from a hack from Russia. It seems to be taking too long to recover from this, but our Royal Mail are not good at this sort of thing, so delivery may be some time.
With luck, you may be able to find one nearer.

Attachments

• Panda Classic Lighting wiring diag.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Awesome, that's very helpful, thanks!

You might be interested to hear, I ordered another switch just to have a spare, pulled it apart, and it's actulaly different than the first one I received (and now correct for the car) - I'll definitely let ricambio know to keep an eye out...

Back