Ran a red light

Currently reading:
Ran a red light

Thought this might ignite some debate as I'm not sure if it was discussed when the case came up originally. Some of you may remember a guy got a ticket and some points for running a red light because an ambulance with lights and siren came up behind him and he moved out of the way for it.

Same thing happened to me tonight and there were three/four cars in the right hand lane and just me in the left hand one, no room for any of us to move sideways except for me to stick the hazards on and shuffle slowly through the red light in front of me and pull in at a bus stop just the other side, ensuring there wasn't any traffic coming at any speed from the right (where the lights were green). Either that or hold him up and risk someone's life. I assessed the situation and made my choice - what would you have done?

to be honest being only 18 i wouldnt have shifted if there was a camera, i will get raped on my insurance renewal, and as dave said them running reds is so dangerous i was almost taken out by a cop running a red, should have seen his face as he flew infront of me looking as me totally shocked how close he came, darn lucky i saw him

we don't have a points system for our licence's here, so if I would pull thru a red light because id has to be done to let a firetruck/ambulance or police car thru it could only result in a ticket.
When I do get a ticket for that I would let it go to a court, and let the judge decide.
I have legal help insurance, so it wouldn't cost me lawyers costs.
Also I do think there will be no judge that will let me(or any one) pay the ticket for a fact like that.

I thought that was what our driving test was for? To verify that we are sensible enough to respond as required to a given situation. I always drive through lights to clear the route for an emergency vehicle. Normally only just over the line and then I pull over however I use hazard lights, flashing main beam and using the horn to make it clear that I'm not going to stay behind the red light.

Hellcat said:
I thought that was what our driving test was for? To verify that we are sensible enough to respond as required to a given situation. I always drive through lights to clear the route for an emergency vehicle. Normally only just over the line and then I pull over however I use hazard lights, flashing main beam and using the horn to make it clear that I'm not going to stay behind the red light.

but would you do it if there was a redlight camera waiting to flash you?

Hellcat said:
Yep. Then I'd take it to court and threaten to shove it up the **** of anyone prepared to make me pay the fine or take the points.

Or I'd just bring some tyres and petrol next time I was going past and have myself a bonfire. :D

they are all stupid digital ones, atleast around here the digital ones are everywhere, but i'm with you if i ever get caught by the old ones :) i have a gallon of nitro that burns a fair bit hotter :D

i read somwhere that even the peaople taking it to court got the fine and points:(

i would go to court over this.
you were moving from stationary so its obvious your making a deliberate move
your speed will indicate this
the time will be on the film and can be correlated with the emergency call if needed

no way am i going to hold up an ambulance for a red light

I commend you for your actions Helz.(y) I always make room for emergency vehicles, one day it might be me there rushing to!:eek: and id be hoping people would do the same. If you end up going to court just make sure you phone the media a week or so before your appearance. With their presence it would probably get thrown out!:slayer:
Remember people,move over regardless of the possible ticket or points, after all, isnt a life worth more than £50 and 3pts.:(
If someone wishes to argue this then they are a bigger dimwit than the idiot who wrote a similar post last week.:yuck:

MATT 68 said:
I commend you for your actions Helz.(y) I always make room for emergency vehicles, one day it might be me there rushing to!:eek: and id be hoping people would do the same. If you end up going to court just make sure you phone the media a week or so before your appearance. With their presence it would probably get thrown out!:slayer:
Remember people,move over regardless of the possible ticket or points, after all, isnt a life worth more than £50 and 3pts.:(
If someone wishes to argue this then they are a bigger dimwit than the idiot who wrote a similar post last week.:yuck:

*raise eyebrow* what if its a prank call? then its cost just cost me £360 odd and 3 points! what if the ambulence drivers were just being irresponable and rushing to get home for dinner?

alrigh if the lights had just turned red and there was a red light camera then i might get out and rip my number plate off and move, but theres no way i can afford the 3 points for what could be **** all!

Allways move out of the way... be it onto the pavement or whatever! Allways say to folk in the car with me, someday it might be me/us in need of that ambulance etc. Also tend to donate without second thought to folk collecting for Air Ambulance for the same reason, as one day it may be the difference between my life and death :)

bulldog5046 said:
*raise eyebrow* what if its a prank call? then its cost just cost me £360 odd and 3 points! what if the ambulence drivers were just being irresponable and rushing to get home for dinner?

alrigh if the lights had just turned red and there was a red light camera then i might get out and rip my number plate off and move, but theres no way i can afford the 3 points for what could be **** all!

right :rolleyes: so your saying ambulance drivers just whack on the blues for dinner time AND run red's.dont think so.
your happy to risk someones life over the risk you MAY get points (n)

Back