Ran a red light

Currently reading:
Ran a red light

Helz you did the right thing, If you do get a fine/points take it to court to contest it.

If you still get the points, just let the papers and tv know about the case. Never under estimate the power of the media as some one will see it and pay your fine for you (y)

see been in a fair few ambulances in my time usually if thats the case they will slow down and go into the oncoming lane of traffic so as to let othermotorists know there there hence the slow bit. And then continue on through.

Although i woulda moved as well if that couldnt have been done. And if i woulda got points etc i would petition it. Chances are you would get let off with it.

Helz as others have said YOU did the right thing (y) I myself have a TS10 and the 3 points that go with it and £60 lighter in the wallet :bang: mine was injury related incident [find the thread]with medical proof but they didnt listen I do hope that in your case it Will be different good luck lass (y)

Helz said:
I'm glad to hear most would do the same if the road was relatively clear. Well, now for the 14 day countdown to see if a ticket arrives or not :(

if you went to court in wrexham my dad said he let you off ;) :p

common sense should prevail, i hate traffic light cameras they are only programmed for yes/no

I was always under the impression that the highway code stated that you may cross a stop line under a red light if you were impeding an emergency vehicle.

However, that seems to have disappeared and under traffic lights, there is no mention of emergency vehicles.

Under emergency vehicles it simply states that you should pull to the side and stop but do not endanger other road users.
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/20.htm#194

punto_jr_sx75 said:
Well done on doing this helz, you made a good call and as you say what if you had stoped and risked saving somebodys life? I hope this pans out ok for you but if you went to court then im sure they would understand and give you the leaway you deserve(y)

For those who know Carlisle, this was at the traffic lights at Caldewgate where Castle Way meets Dalston Road. I was crossing to head up Castle Way and the lights were changing from Willowholme to Dalston Road at the time so no traffic was moving at any speed.

What if it is a police car behind, the law says you have to obey the traffic instuctions of a policer officer. If he is behind you and has his blues on and is trying to get past, he is effectively asking you to move out of the way. So which law takes priority the red light or the police officer.

If it were me, I would have gone through the red light if safe to do so becuase it is the right thing to do. Sometime there is a difference between what is "right" and what the law says and getting out of the way of an ambulance is the right thing to do.

if this happens and you get a flash make sure that you get the reg plate of the emergency vehicle, the exact time, and the road junction. When you get the ticket it makes things easier and you will likely get let off in court or have it overturned.

why?
because of the situation, it would be recorded that the emergency vehicle had ran the light and be logged on the incident log which will back up what you have. If i was the emergency vehicle I would be more than happy to back someone up on that

cant guarantee this will work but im sure it will

Nope Alan, no cameras that I know of but you never know if there was an off-duty arse of a cop in the right hand lane, some do-gooder who thought I shouldn't have gone, someone coming down off Dalston Road who didn't like that the ambulance went through a red light and held them up from getting home for all of 10 seconds etc.

Helz said:
Nope Alan, no cameras that I know of but you never know if there was an off-duty arse of a cop in the right hand lane, some do-gooder who thought I shouldn't have gone, someone coming down off Dalston Road who didn't like that the ambulance went through a red light and held them up from getting home for all of 10 seconds etc.

there are some proper jobsworths that would do this, even if they knew you were a copper :confused:

Well my mum works at the courts in the office and according to her the public services police , ambulance and fire can't force you to break the law so court will give ya fine and points if ya take it to court or more then likly anyway we don't half have some crap laws in uk :(

Helz said:

I doubt very much if anything will happen so don't worry about it ;)

In my experience, you have more chance of getting hit in the pocket in Carlisle from over-eager traffic wardens checking the residential streets :mad:

Helz, you did the right thing and nobody can suggest otherwise.

Back