General Radio upgrade

Currently reading:
General Radio upgrade

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
I purchased a new radio to upgrade my radio. The connections are the same and there was power to it. However, it says “code error” and won’t let me enter the code. I have the code and didn’t have the chance to try enter it. Any suggestions? Thanks
New or second hand? Is it the radio asking for the code?

Thanks for your reply. It’s second hand but I did get the unlock
IMG_7558.jpeg
code but it won’t even let me attempt to enter a code as it just keeps saying “code error”. I’ve added a picture of this. It lets me click through the functions at the bottom but doesn’t let me actually do anything just keeps saying code error, please wait. I have waited and unplugged and tried again but no difference!

The reason for this is that the radio is interrogating the car's body computer and is finding a different code than the one it expects. Some folks have surmised that it may be necessary to reprogram the firmware in either the radio or the body computer or even both, but I don't know of anyone who's done this successfully.

This has come up before, but I'm not aware of a solution. It may even not be possible to reuse the secondhand radio you have purchased in your vehicle.

Have a look at this thread, and also try searching the internet. You'll likely come across several accounts of folks who can't get a secondhand FIAT radio they've purchased to work, but I've yet to see any from folks who've succeeded.

Sorry if this comes across as unhelpful, but it seems that swapping in a secondhand Fiat head unit from another vehicle is by no means straightforward.

All the advice I've seen is to just fit a generic aftermarket head unit that has the functionality you want.

Send back and ask for refund?

If you are able to do this, it might save you much frustration.

Last edited:
Send back and ask for refund?
Thanks for your reply. I took it to an electronic guy who was able to work it outside the car so it must just be my car not recognising it. Although the mileage flashes which would say it realises something new is there

The reason for this is that the radio is interrogating the car's body computer and is finding a different code than the one it expects. Some folks have surmised that it may be necessary to reprogram the firmware in either the radio or the body computer or even both, but I don't know of anyone who's done this successfully.

This has come up before, but I'm not aware of a solution. It may even not be possible to reuse the secondhand radio you have purchased in your vehicle.

Have a look at this thread, and also try searching the internet. You'll likely come across several accounts of folks who can't get a secondhand FIAT radio they've purchased to work, but I've yet to see any from folks who've succeeded.

Sorry if this comes across as unhelpful, but it seems that swapping in a secondhand Fiat head unit from another vehicle is by no means straightforward.

All the advice I've seen is to just fit a generic aftermarket head unit that has the functionality you want.

If you are able to do this, it might save you much frustration.
Thanks for your reply. I took it to an electronic guy who was able to work it outside the car so it must just be my car not recognising it. Although the mileage flashes which would say it realises something new is there. I did watch a guy on YouTube who was successful doing it in an Arbath. I will try play around some more!

Don't they have a code entry limit? or timeout if some did it wrong x number of times? Maybe just leaving it on till the timeout expires may allow another entry?

Just a thought, costs nothing to try.
Thanks for your reply. I took it to an electronic guy who was able to work it outside the car so the radio is working and he was able to get it to the display where he could then enter the code and got it working. It must just be my car not recognising it. Although the mileage flashes which would say it realises something new is there I’ve heard of opening and closing the doors etc to try so at the weekend I’ll try a few more things!

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Back