Quickie Amp and Sub question.

Currently reading:
Quickie Amp and Sub question.

I got two db audio subs, Cost me a small fortune while back and dont wanna get rid cause they sounded great in my old car.

Now im not bothered if i need a 2 channel amp or a mono one (Was wired up in a mono in series in last car and worked fine) Just wanna get the best out of em.

Question is, The subs are 375w rms and 750w max,

Now am i right in thinking that if i get a 2 channel amp (1200max) 2x600w max and 2x 240w rms, will the amp be running over time or would that all sound about correct and not damage anything.

If its not powerfull enough and run ova time any suggestions. Obviously dont wanna blow subs.

Cheers

Last edited:
As long as you're careful, a weaker amp will do for now, and then you can upgrade when you can afford it :)

paulbfd said:
Is £160 your budget?

£10 of that says I can find a better used one on eBay.

You probably could as well :)

Well not really my budget, i can go more, Prob £200 Was just wondering if it would do. Id rather buy the right one first time than having to waste money and time buying and installing another.

So basically ya saying that in time that would be working ova time and damage?

Anyone suggest a decent amp with about 350rms and about 750max, Even if mono i could just get two.

PhatAshKi said:
Wen you mean carefull chaos, wat exactly do ya mean. Would be easier if i just had the one sub then just buy the right mono amp. They only 10" but have decent sound and dont wanna get rid.

Sorry I haven't replied earlier Ash :eek:

By careful I mean not clipping the amp and distorting it.

Get a mono amp with about 800WRMS at whatever impedance you need (dependent on the voice coil config of your subs), or if there's one to suit, then a 2 channel job that would do 800WRMS bridged. However, I think you'd be looking at second hand (but that's not a problem :))

chaos said:
Sorry I haven't replied earlier Ash :eek:

By careful I mean not clipping the amp and distorting it.

Get a mono amp with about 800WRMS at whatever impedance you need (dependent on the voice coil config of your subs), or if there's one to suit, then a 2 channel job that would do 800WRMS bridged. However, I think you'd be looking at second hand (but that's not a problem :))

No problem dude.

How would i clip it, or more to the point prevent it.

And if i was to get an 800wrms or close enough amp (in 2 ohms) with it being mono would i wire them up in series or paralell to share out the 800rms, Cant remember from school but i think it would need to be in series altho correct me if im wrong. There were in series before wit a my last amp but that had a puny wrms. Only 1000 peak

I say 2 ohms above altho on the site of makers of my sub they say Nom. Impedance 2 x 4 ohm, I assume is mean 2 to 4 cause y would 1 sub need 2 x 4ohms, Unless it means 8!

Remember max watt is 750 to

Last edited:
PhatAshKi said:
No problem dude.

How would i clip it, or more to the point prevent it.

And if i was to get an 800wrms or close enough amp (in 2 ohms) with it being mono would i wire them up in series or paralell to share out the 800rms, Cant remember from school but i think it would need to be in series altho correct me if im wrong. There were in series before wit a my last amp but that had a puny wrms. Only 1000 peak

I say 2 ohms above altho on the site of makers of my sub they say Nom. Impedance 2 x 4 ohm, I assume is mean 2 to 4 cause y would 1 sub need 2 x 4ohms, Unless it means 8!

Remember max watt is 750 to

Max wattages mean naff all - not worth reading about. I reckon you have dual voice coil subs there (2 4ohm coils :))

There's 2 different scerarios available to you

1 - running both subs off a single mono amp and presenting either a 1 or 4 ohm load to the amp.

2 - running each sub on an individual amp - this way each sub would be wired to show either a 2 or 8 ohm load.

So what you want is either.................

1 - a mono amp that will do 800WRMS @ either 1 or 4 ohm

2 - 2 separate mono amps that do 400WRMS @ 2 ohm each (you won't be running at 8 ohm loads in this set up).

Personally, I would go for option 1 :)

PhatAshKi said:
Right thx choas, Ill have a look for a mono amp with 800wrms, Even wit 2000 max watts that be ok for the subs?

Latsly wit the mono amp i take IT WILL have to be wired in series?

Cheers for ya help fella

Series for 1 ohm, parallel for 4 ohm IIRC.

Like I said, totally ignore max wattages. They mean nothing :)

Back