Quickie Amp and Sub question.

Currently reading:
Quickie Amp and Sub question.

Choas

Looking at a couple of diagrams from the manual of my old amp, two 4ohm subs in paralel has a combined impedance of 2 ohms, and two 4 ohms subs in series has a combined impedance of 8 ohms. So wouldnt i need an amp that is 2 - 8 ohm compatible?

Or have i got this all wrong ??

Bet your sick of me by now lol

PhatAshKi said:
Choas

Looking at a couple of diagrams from the manual of my old amp, two 4ohm subs in paralel has a combined impedance of 2 ohms, and two 4 ohms subs in series has a combined impedance of 8 ohms. So wouldnt i need an amp that is 2 - 8 ohm compatible?

Or have i got this all wrong ??

Bet your sick of me by now lol

No, it be one OR the other. The instruction manual really wouldn't apply here, as the manual deals with single voice coil subs by the sounds of it. I believe you have dual voice coils - you should have 2 sets of speaker terminals on the sub - probably each set opposite each other :)

Only one set, A + and -

On closer inspection of the sub i have and in the pictures, the pictures do have 2 sets of connectors. This makes it that much harder for me to know the wattage as now as i cannot find any information on them. On the site it says the subs are on their 3rd revision. Have emailed them and asked for the wattage. Sorry to waste ur time Chaos altho it has been helpfull and will know wat to do now when they email me back

chaos said:
Series for 1 ohm, parallel for 4 ohm IIRC.

Actrually, I think that should be the other way around.

Yo Chaos, Just wondering if ya can help me out again,

Found this alpine amp, its 200 quid and 4 channels, the RMS power rating is
  • Per channel into 4 ohms: 70W x 4 (0.08% THD)
  • Per channel into 2 ohms: 140W x 4
  • Brigded 4 ohms: 350W x 2 (0.3% THD)
Ive found out the rms for my subs are 350 so technically when bridged i should have 2 x 350wrms at 4 ohms so would be perfect for the subs correct?.

Would love ya to confirm this so im not wasting the bucks.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/english/a2328.det.MRP-F450_4-3-2-CHANNEL-POWER-AMPLIFIER.htm

PhatAshKi said:

Ive found out the rms for my subs are 350 so technically when bridged i should have 2 x 350wrms at 4 ohms so would be perfect for the subs correct?.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/english/a2328.det.MRP-F450_4-3-2-CHANNEL-POWER-AMPLIFIER.htm

Providing the subs are rated 350w RMS @ 4 ohm then yea would be a pretty smart match :)

PhatAshKi said:

Should be OK, but I'm sure you can get better VFM amps :chin:

Any suggestions?, Been looking ages now, and cant get one high enough for rms, with 2 channels, most are around 260, or bigger like 450.

Looked into mono amps and they are mega more expensive, at least with a mulit channel if i have a change around can use the other channels for something? Just a thought

Last edited:
PhatAshKi said:
Any suggestions?, Been looking ages now, and cant get one high enough for rms, with 2 channels, most are around 260, or bigger like 450.

Looked into mono amps and they are mega more expensive, at least with a mulit channel if i have a change around can use the other channels for something? Just a thought

Is 200 the highest you can go in terms of budget?

PhatAshKi said:
Not really can go higher but would have to be significally better, as it is a lot of money for just an amp. Would need to a good one that would last so can keep.

I'll have a looksie see what I can dig up :)

Thx for looking choas but with the first one being 400wrms and second 500wrms as well as being in mono wouldn't the figues be shared between the 2 subs, instead of 350wrms each with the amp i suggested, So which would be better?

Forgive me if i am wrong, bloody wish i had 1 sub now would be much easier.

A&R Jordan said:
I have the second amp youve shown. i got it brand new for £120 deliverd on ebay on clearance stcck. looks great, but havnt had the chance to install it in my car yet. i wont get the chance either coz it sgoing bck on ebay soon :( so i cant comment on its performance

Jordan

How much you want for it Jordan, Is it New???

PhatAshKi said:
Thx for looking choas but with the first one being 400wrms and second 500wrms as well as being in mono wouldn't the figues be shared between the 2 subs, instead of 350wrms each with the amp i suggested, So which would be better?

Forgive me if i am wrong, bloody wish i had 1 sub now would be much easier.

No, you'd wire both subs together to show a 2 ohm load overall ;) since both subs can be wired to show 4 ohms separately.

chaos said:
No, you'd wire both subs together to show a 2 ohm load overall ;) since both subs can be wired to show 4 ohms separately.

Yep worked that out last night, Wire in parallel and total of 2 ohm load,

I bought the second amp you suggested above so 900w in 2ohms, Will need to turn gain down a little so not much higher than 700 but basically perfect.

Also bought a kenwood 300wmax/ 100wrms for my componants upfront just need fixing in wen all delivered.

At the mo it will only be running 10cm componants upfront, 10cm in rear and the subs. Ill see how it sounds and if the rears are not heard think ill invest in some 15cm componants for the rear. Front tweeters are going in the a piller above my head just near the sunvisor so aiming right at me.

Back