Technical Quick question...

Currently reading:
Technical Quick question...

deniseb91

Haven't been on here for a while but I know that this forum is the fountain of all knowledge - so a question.

My Eleganza has done 24,600 and needs to have it's second service done before it hits 25000 (the read out is already saying service voucher expired!) but I rang Fiat and they said it's ok so long as I get it done before 25,000 "and can I book it in for you madam" - no, not at £360 you can't!

Have found a garage who does servicing and will use Fiat parts, stamp it, turn off the service light etc and they charge £179. The thing is they say that if they need to put in long life spark plugs and long life oil that is extra. Does the Panda have long life spark plugs and oil? Can't see anything in the handbook! Answers greatly received!!!

D

My sisters Panda 1.2 Dynamic was in for its second service at the weekend.

Total cost was £175 and thats from a main dealer.

Phone round other local dealers and see what the best price is.

Hi I think it varies regionally - they quoted me 340 in London/Kent and it was slightly cheaper in Canterbury (which is still 50 miles away from me). Unfortunately they really do rip you off around here! Scotland's a bit too far away for me! Thanks anyway!

Sorry I forgot to say that I should have said they quoted me originally 260 not 360, but still alot!!

So far as I know, all (petrol of course) Pandas get the spark plugs changed every 24000 miles, and I presume that the recommended plugs are designed to last this long. However, is there such a thing as 'a long life spark plug'? Surely the answer is that they should fit a plug that meets Fiat's specs, and those last 24000 miles.

Similarly with oil: there's been plenty of debates around this forum about oils but the bottom line is use a 'good' oil of the correct viscosity ratings (the 10w40-type numbers). All such oils are designed to last the same time. And whatever oil, it should be changed every 12000 miles or once a year anyway, whichever comes up first.

You can get long life spark plugs - they're generally platinum or iridium tipped and have more than one ground - they are used OE by BMW, Mini and Porsche to name just a few. Porsche go 40k between plug changes, BMW/Mini up to 60k! As far as the Panda is concerned, I'm not aware that these type plugs are required but at the end of the day, they won't hurt and from my experience aren't that much more expensive than 'regular' plugs.

Longlife oil certainly isn't required by the Panda, but again it won't hurt and IMO you should always use the best oil you can afford. If you're going like for like, get something like Mobil Super S 10w-40 which is £30 for five litres from your local Esso or Halfords.

Ben

The 'even' services (2nd, 4th etc) are generally more expensive as they include more replacements (as opposed to inspections on the 'odd' services)

£240 does seem steep though....Ring round! (y)

Thanks for your replies - am going to get with www.servicingstop.co.uk which charge 179 for a full service - which follows the Fiat 2nd year service, gets stamped, turns off the service light and adheres to the warranty plus they wash and vac the car and pick it up and deliver it back to you - the cheapest I could get through Fiat itself was 240 and that was a Fiat garage which is over 50 miles away, the nearer ones were quoting me 300 up! So am booked in for Friday! Thanks again!

dx

The 'even' services (2nd, 4th etc) are generally more expensive as they include more replacements (as opposed to inspections on the 'odd' services)

£240 does seem steep though....Ring round! (y)
Don't go to Palmers in Watford! 24000 service on 1.2 4x4 = £290!!
(oil, filter, plugs, tappets I suppose..... and, er, oh, give it a wash)

Did 36000 myself: Mobil oil as above, oil filter, 4 plugs and an air filter. Oh and I washed it too. Total less than £50.

Back