Technical Question for GP owners who re-mapped

Currently reading:
Technical Question for GP owners who re-mapped

I have been told that the Punto gear box's don't like more than 180 Bhp they start to fail, I have not experanced it yet but the advice from the factory to me in regards to Racing & rally that the box was reliable to this figger after this they became unreliable.

So I guess it a matter of how hard you drive the car all of the time?

Best regards Philb

I have been told that the Punto gear box's don't like more than 180 Bhp they start to fail, I have not experanced it yet but the advice from the factory to me in regards to Racing & rally that the box was reliable to this figger after this they became unreliable.

Best regards Philb

The boxes are rated 400Nm. On one of our clients car the box is running now for over 6 month with over 600Nm and just under 260bhp.

BTW, we are happy to come over for the GP mapping on an Australian group session.

Just thought I'd follow up my post-service thoughts as promised.

My GPS MJet went for it's 18,000 mile service last week. Around 13,000 of those miles have been enjoyed with a remap that has increased the power to (a genuine ;)) 175bhp.

Some of you may already know that I had a difficult and, on reflection, pathetic experience with my previous Fiat dealership. After changing to another local garage I'm pleased to report that the service and attention to my car was excellent yet again! No moaning about getting it tuned and a thorough check of my engine/turbo resulted in there being absolutely no problems at all.

These guys seemed genuinely keen to maintain my car to the best standard knowing about the remap and, maybe more importantly, looked after me as a concerned customer. That's more like it!

My car went in for its second year service (36k) but only 26k actual and they wiped my map, not sure if there was any malice though, otherwise i think they would have mentioned it when doing all the warranty work i asked them to do. I had a couple of ECU updates for the excess radiat and flatspot and i think that may have done it. At first i wasnt sure, but after my girlfriend drove it for a second opinion it has definitely gone, the turbo spools up later and the higher gears arent as usable on the motorway. Its strange for me as ive never driven a standard one (well nothing longer than a quick test drive) as i bought it mapped. So ive contacted Angel with the hope of getting the map put back on for free, as was the agreement when it was originally done (fingers crossed). Dont think ill be going for 193bhp like yours foxy, around 160bhp was fine for me, yours must smoke like a b**tard now.

Last edited:
Dont think ill be going for 193bhp like yours foxy, around 160bhp was fine for me, yours must smoke like a b**tard now.

actually the angel map is more likely to smoke, due to certain properties in the map they dont tweak as its not on a RR like at red dot! Im sure somebody will come along and confirm what this is, as im having a blonde moment atm. and the maps that angel actually use a a generic which is the same as what red dot use before there tweaks to personalize the map to the car.

If you look at the torque figures there isnt much between angel and red dot maps, which is what that matters..

Although fair one, why would you want to pay for another map when angel will probaly replace the previous for free :)

Last edited:
Dont think ill be going for 193bhp like yours foxy, around 160bhp was fine for me, yours must smoke like a b**tard now.

:eek: GTFO... :D No smoke.... if i pootle it around in traffic for a day or so the 1st time I boot it up to max torque I get a bit but not after that initial push. If it smoked I would be happy to take it back to Peter for attention, it doesnt. Red Dot FTW! (y)

Best regards Philb

Thing is Phil I dont drive the nuts off my wagon, its not a race car and as I pay the repair bills I treat it with empathy and sympathy. I dont drop the clutch at full revs like a racing start or slip the clutch, I change gear smoothly as I enjoy smooth rapid progress rather than heavy right footed jumpy stop start stuff. I trust Peter, it is not in his interests to have cars breaking every whichway after a Red Dot map IMO. However, I accept your views from the race drivers perspective. (y)

who did the remap?

the remap on th tjet is restricted due to the size of the turbo i think most guys are getting 10-20bhp tops and thats with an induction kit too unless you uprate the turbo! First tjet turbo failure ive heard of

Powertune Scotland, was local and cheaper than any others.
Should i have felt a big difference after it was remapped?

Powertune Scotland, was local and cheaper than any others.
Should i have felt a big difference after it was remapped?

Not a huge difference on a TJet compared to an MJet TBH, my MJet is now 193 bhp up from 144 as standard, quite an increase, but the TJetters on here are happy I think as the re-map (from Red Dot) provides a greater output than the forthcoming Abarth I believe, so it should be noticeable. Oldschool can advise but as far as I recall the turbo on the TJet is too small to provide any bigger gains.

I know that this has been discussed many times before, but has anyone used an aftermarket panel filter to go with their map? I've looked and Green dont make them, only one i can find is K&N, does it make any difference? I know the green cotton filters are particuarly effective with the VAG PD's, anyone have any views on this?

Yes I do race a Orange GP sport 1.9 JTD, in both Tarmac rally and Track in Prodution Touring cars in Australia.

Best regards Philb

woahhh
whats wrong with angel tuning?

Lol....nothing at all mate, mine's mapped by them and it goes a treat. (Hence the j/k after my comment)

There's just a few numpties on here that like bashing them, I'll keep their identities private as I'll get another infraction, the one especially, is a bit touchy!!! :)

Last edited:
Back