Put Your flippin' Lights On! Is it time daytime running lights are introduced in UK?

Currently reading:
Put Your flippin' Lights On! Is it time daytime running lights are introduced in UK?

Should this be introduced?

• Total voters
bulbs create a bigger drain on the battery, which means the voltage regulator diverts more current to the battery, which means less is available for the engine (especially the engine management system). up to a certain point this makes no difference because the amount of current available for the engine is greater than or equal to the engine's requirements. once you go past that point the engine suffers and you lose mpg, and just as important you lose power. the most extreme example of this is when you stick a fully charged battery on a car with a fairly dodgy alternator (such as one with worn brushes). the engine immediately lacks power and within a very short time you struggle to get high revs (since high revs means greater current requirement). eventually it gets so bad that you cut out.

theory aside, the actually difference from using your headlights isnt going to be noticable, but its my excuse for not using them and i'm sticking to it. :p

I've just found out a soild fact. Not that we many long roads in the UK, but a car with DRLs can be seen from 5 miles away in prefect conditions compaired to 1/2 mile without DRLs or headlights on.

Also, the human eye naturally picks up light sources. So a car with a light source always on at the front is going to be noticed easier in any condition.

And you would need to know whether a car is 5 miles away because?

I find that really hard to believe as well, especially in daylight. 5 Miles is a LONG way, especially for some **** tastic bulbs to be travelling in perfect daylight.

And when do you ever get a stretch of road you can see 5 miles down? If the conditions are that good I bet you can see the car as well. :rolleyes:

There really is no advantage to using your lights in the Day. Me Needs SOLID Evidence and links to half worthy sites that show me how it benefits me.

And you would need to know whether a car is 5 miles away because?

I find that really hard to believe as well, especially in daylight. 5 Miles is a LONG way, especially for some **** tastic bulbs to be travelling in perfect daylight.

And when do you ever get a stretch of road you can see 5 miles down? If the conditions are that good I bet you can see the car as well. :rolleyes:

There really is no advantage to using your lights in the Day. Me Needs SOLID Evidence and links to half worthy sites that show me how it benefits me.

There is a 9 mile strech of road locally with only 1 bend it, straight for the rest. Its known as a dangerous road because there are so many deaths caused by overtaking. Two cars traveling at 60 MPH cover a total speed between them of 120MPH going head on. Thats why you may need to see 1 or upto 5 mile ahead.

As to links to sites, as with all discussions a subject can be slandered or agreed to and lead people to believe different things. Would you say the same about motorcycles not needing to use their lights during the day?

There is a 9 mile strech of road locally with only 1 bend it, straight for the rest. Its known as a dangerous road because there are so many deaths caused by overtaking. Two cars traveling at 60 MPH cover a total speed between them of 120MPH going head on. Thats why you may need to see 1 or upto 5 mile ahead.

As to links to sites, as with all discussions a subject can be slandered or agreed to and lead people to believe different things. Would you say the same about motorcycles not needing to use their lights during the day?

You can't see properly down 5 Miles of road, don't talk stupid. Never seen motorcycles use lights in the day either, and I keep a keen eye out for em, Yet you can usually hear them before you see them :rolleyes:

Judging by your panda, you drive around with lights that are capable are sending signals out to Mars, so, good luck to you on that.

:devil:

Motorcycles are smaller, generally driven faster and more dangerously, and need the light on to definie themself as a motorcycle as information to road users.

As I have said before, if you can't see other cars in the daytime you should not be on the road.

I can honestly say I have never been in a daytime situation where I would have thought afterwards 'damn I wish that car had his lights on'

I am in complete agreement with those who say it is not a viable idea, in fact I am not the only one to think this, the European Union thinks so to (though a lot of there ideas are daft so can't really be taken as the be all and end all of any discussion)

It was put to the vote in Europe last year to introduce a law saying that cars had to have headlamps on all the time, this law was voted out because in there investigations into the pro's versus the con's (at great expense no doubt to TAX payers) it was found that the fuel consumption on ALL cars would on average go up by 1.5%, if you multiply this by the X amount of millions of cars in Europe, it would mean that Europe would contribute a vast amount of extra pollutants in to the Earths atmosphere when we are all supposed to be more environmentally concious.

Therefore why not just be sensible and use your lights when they are really needed, and help with your contribution to lessening your impact on the Earth when you need to use your car.

I typically start the car, do my seatbelt then check the conditions. I look in my mirror down the street and if a car perhaps 10 or more car lengths isn't easily visible then I'll think about lights. Same for if I'm driving and due to sun in my eyes cannot see the car infront easily, then I'll pop on the sidelights.

Don't think we need compulsory DRLs.. just better driver training.

I don't think it should be mandatory, but in certain daylight conditions when the sun is low, sidelights can help a LOT with visibility. Of course the easy way to have lights on and not increase your energy drain by 1.5%+ is to fit LED side/rear lights.

Bugger me, the world has all of a sudden started to care about the pollution, and the goverment too??? are you sure...
i do care about the pollution, but i also think that headlights are a good idea.

even if you see the car with lights on 2 metres before the car with out lights, thats a lot of extra stoping distance if needed there for a bigger chance of NOT having an accident, there for a larger chance of insurance premiums going down in the future (saving money) and larger chance of less deaths (saving money) a larger chance of less tyre wear (if breaking, saving money, and oil as tyres are made of oil, therefor less pollution) a larger chance of beeing seen !!!!! (great value for money)

I stick by my guns, if people cant afford to buy 1 extra set af lightbulbs in the cars lifespan then they cant afford to buy a car in the first place, hence, just switch them on and be seen.

Face it, is it so hard, costly, and annoying...NO it isent, so turn em on, and feel safe.....after all its YOUR car that could get hit and the other driver will always say Sorry mate, dident see you there !!!!!

even if you see the car with lights on 2 metres before the car with out lights, thats a lot of extra stoping distance if needed there for a bigger chance of NOT having an accident, there for a larger chance of insurance premiums going down in the future (saving money) and larger chance of less deaths (saving money) a larger chance of less tyre wear (if breaking, saving money, and oil as tyres are made of oil, therefor less pollution) a larger chance of beeing seen !!!!! (great value for money)

its YOUR car that could get hit and the other driver will always say Sorry mate, dident see you there !!!!!

I refuse to believe my insurance premium will drop because I turn my lights on.

Quick everybody! turn your lights on it makes you completely invulnerable to accidents and hitting other cars.

Fitted eariler this morning. LED DRL's, running at a meer 1 watt each. That combined with my LED tail lights probably boosts my MPG!

No more using my headlights as DRL's!

DRL's1.JPG DRL's2.JPG

I refuse to believe my insurance premium will drop because I turn my lights on.

Quick everybody! turn your lights on it makes you completely invulnerable to accidents and hitting other cars.

Well of course it wont drop, this is my point exactly, leaving your lights off will be the same as leaving them on, it will make no difference financially, so there for keep them on and be seen, simple....

Fitted eariler this morning. LED DRL's, running at a meer 1 watt each. That combined with my LED tail lights probably boosts my MPG!

No more using my headlights as DRL's!

View attachment 36090 View attachment 36091

Perfect !!!!!!!

You see, 1 watt, no cost, and seen 24/7
Fantastic, Roll on mr Panda, you deserve a a pat on the back for showing everybody on FIAT FORUM that it is simple, cheap, and safe to have (day lights)
Respect to the white Panda...:slayer::worship:

Back