Put Your flippin' Lights On! Is it time daytime running lights are introduced in UK?

Currently reading:
Put Your flippin' Lights On! Is it time daytime running lights are introduced in UK?

Should this be introduced?

• Total voters
I agree with the original sentiments of this thread . Going back to the pulling out of a junction argument, there are a lot of junctions round here when even when someone is doing 40/50mph, you don't want to pull out in front of them and when it's a black/ grey/ dark car on a dull day or in twilight, you just don't see them coming. Same goes for overtaking, you just can't see them coming.

And last but not least, anyone who has ever been in the car with me knows that I own two invisible cars (one bright pink) and so drive with either pink LEDs or CCFLs on all the time and STILL get people pulling out on me/ cutting me up constantly etc because they don't see me there :bang:. Imagine how much worse it is if I drive without any lights on :mad:

I'm of the opinion that if you havent got the intelligence when to put your lights on, then you should have your licence taken off you!!!!!!!

Don't know if it's me but car drivers not using their lights correctly has got quite a lot worse recently, and having compulsory daytime lights just dumbs people down even further.

over the xmas break, I was driving back from oswestry towards wrexham, following a guy in a focus, it was 4pm, almost dark, side windows covered in salt, no lights on. as it went almost dark, i kept on switching my lights off behind him fora couple of seconds, then turning them back on, every couple of minutes, basically letting him know he was virtually invisble, i didnt flash him ,just went to side lights, then no lights, then sidelights, then dip beam on.
after doing this 3 times, it was almost pitch black, he still wouldnt turn his lights on, and eventually I got a 'william anchor' hand movement from him.

I just dropped right back, it'sa fast road, with lots of side junctions, people with misted up windows............. let him have his own accident , but god help anyone who didnt see him coming , what a #b

Another example. At least DRL's would give other road users a chance even if the person with no lights dosen't really give a dam for themselfs and people seeing them.

and another thing, is it only me who seems to think that the majority of 'Focus' drivers need to Focus on their driving skills a little more? l

Last edited:
and another thing, is it only me who seems to think that the majority of 'Fcus' drivers need to Focus on their driving skills a little more? l

do 'some' bmw's fall into that category :D

just so you know, when im driving the focus i turn the lights on (y) when i need to :p, and my driving skills in it are quite adequate :p, especially when im in a hurry to get to manchester for a meeting ;)

today i found i like high-beam a lot more than i thought i got onto the open motorway 5 lanes :):):)

sat myself in middle lane cause that was going where i wanted it to go and just high-beamed it :)

REason i dont think it should be mandatory all the time is the more dazling lights willbe on all the time crap excuse i know but my thoughts arnt formulated at the moment

REason i dont think it should be mandatory all the time is the more dazling lights willbe on all the time crap excuse i know but my thoughts arnt formulated at the moment

Thats by no means least a crap excuse! It really does pee me off, these peope with lights that dazzel. There is no need for it and I wonder how much less light they end up having on the road because of it.

I know I can see when my headlight beam is higher because of a full load of passengers, and was in dads car the other day at night and ordered him to stop and let me adjust his recently changed headlight bulb when I noticed it was aiming up to the right.:mad: I then proceeded to give him an ear bashing.:D

I live in Norway where you have to have your lights on all the time, it is illegal to have your lights off at any time, even if your car is just warming up on your personal drive.
It is a very good idea becouse you can see cars coming on the road ahead of you, even in broad daylight, and if you walk past a parked car and the lights are on you know the engine is running and to BEWARE.

After all it costs nothing to have your lights on so why the hell not.

It should also become law for motorcycles...
How many times have you only seen a bike at the last minute due to its lack of lights !!!!

Bring on the lights worldwide !!!!

I still argue that it is the driver that needs to be focussed on rather than DRLs on the car itself, they are not needed in this country as we do not have very little daylight hours like other countries.

You may aswell tell everybody they are idiots: "excuse me motorist, you cannot be trusted to put your lights on when it is dark so you must drive a car where the lights are always on." Motorists get treated like idiots enough as it is, and if you treat somebody like an idiot they reserve the right to act like one.

If you are that blind that you cannot see my car in the daylight you shouldn't be on the road.

Norway has almost the same daylight hours as England, in fact more than england in the summer, Aslo i know what its like driving in England as i am English and lived there for 21 years.

I find it very anoying that people DO NOT like the idea that lights should be on all the time as there is NO bennafit to leave them off, even in daylight hours.

Put it this way, if a child ran out in the road and got hit by a car without headlights on, and died, and if all cars headlights where on even in the day and it saved 1 in 1000 children being hit then it would all be worth it.
And that is 1 in a 1000,000 examples

There is No disadvantage of having the lights on 24 hours a day.
And I do agree with your comment about people should concentrate on the whole car not just the lights, but every little extra saftey mesurre helps.

Car safty is Extremly important in this day and age,
I am not trying to afend anyone elses opinion, this is only mine, but to my mind, headlights ON can only be a good thing.

James.

Norway has almost the same daylight hours as England, in fact more than england in the summer, Aslo i know what its like driving in England as i am English and lived there for 21 years.

I find it very anoying that people DO NOT like the idea that lights should be on all the time as there is NO bennafit to leave them off, even in daylight hours.

Put it this way, if a child ran out in the road and got hit by a car without headlights on, and died, and if all cars headlights where on even in the day and it saved 1 in 1000 children being hit then it would all be worth it.
And that is 1 in a 1000,000 examples

There is No disadvantage of having the lights on 24 hours a day.
And I do agree with your comment about people should concentrate on the whole car not just the lights, but every little extra saftey mesurre helps.

Car safty is Extremly important in this day and age,
I am not trying to afend anyone elses opinion, this is only mine, but to my mind, headlights ON can only be a good thing.

James.

I can see your point and appreciate what you are saying. But I think as far as car safety and driver safety goes we should be concentrating on the more pressing issues ie. dangerous driving and drink driving. DRLs would annoy me intensely and I just don't think they are worth me changing my bulbs more often, I don't like not having the option of turning my lights off. What if I need to turn them off when parked etc? I'm not sure how they work when in neutral so correct me if they turn off.

Sorry but I think DRLs would not make the difference some of you seem to think, and if this much energy was focused on other driving safety issues the roads would be safer places.

In Norway you have to pay £5 for a beer and everyone lives in wooden houses and goes fishing, end of case for you:) Also, you dont even make your own cars and were on the side of the Germans in the war.

And what has that got to do with H+S?

As for previous two comments, these problems would be solved with LED DRL's. 2 watts of power, and 100,000 hour life per LED!

and just to wind up all those against, I've got a pair of LED DRLs to fit today! Save my headlight bulbs and my carbon foot print!

Last edited:
:bang: cant imagine that a power drian would really make much difference on the fuel consumption as you might think.
But it would be interesting to know just how much fuel is lost using more electricle options.
And the cost of a light bulb is peanuts...

I agree what you say about it is NOT the most important saftey issue out there, but all the little safty issues make a big help in the overal picture.

You can still overide the lights and shut them off if you want but it is NOT legal to drive like this, you would use this if you were in your own private grounds etc.

Damn it, the 5pound a beer is correct, cant win them all :cry:
even worse, a JD and coke will set you back 10pounds !!!! oooh i need to go bang my head against a wall :bang:

I do have one last comment....
If a car manafacture said to the public that where buying cars, if we put 10 pounds on the price of your car to cover for the costs of airbags, would you say NO, or pay the 10 pounds to save your life ??? unless you were mad you would pay the 10 pounds for safty reasons...well its the same with headlights....its a few pence...and a lot of saftey.

i am suprised at the views of no headlights, as many people have cool blue, and extra power bulbs, and they like to show them off, so why not show them off 24/7 ???

fuel efficiency is a function of engine efficiency, engine efficiency is a function of the demand placed on the engine, hence more demand on engine = less fuel efficiency. the best way to see the actual difference it makes is using your air con. i lose 2-3mpg just from the air con alone. realistically headlights by themselves probably wont even make 0.5mpg difference, but every little helps.

fuel efficiency is a function of engine efficiency, engine efficiency is a function of the demand placed on the engine, hence more demand on engine = less fuel efficiency. the best way to see the actual difference it makes is using your air con. i lose 2-3mpg just from the air con alone. realistically headlights by themselves probably wont even make 0.5mpg difference, but every little helps.

I think 0.5MPG is a better bet for head lights, if that. As I said there is no noticeible difference, as I'm one of these sad acts that work out my MPG everytime I fill up using an Excel spreadsheet.

I'll let you know if there is much of a difference when the headlights are used less when my LED DRL's are in opperation. But electrical circuits are different to Air Con.

Air Con needs a compressor to run it which is run straight off of the engine aux belt, but the aultinator (Can't spell i know) pumps out the same charging rate with nothing on or all on, so can't really understand why MPG would be lost though headlights being on.

O.K.

Maybe you fiat forum peeps could help out here?

How much extra fuel does headlights really use??? exact figures only, there must be some real facts out there ??

P.S. you say 0.5 per gallen less !! really as much as that, i am suprised, i also suprised that you lose ONLY 2 or 3 miles with air con ON, as A/C uses 17% of the engines power, and i believed (untill now) that it used 30% !!!!! more fuel.

any one got the real figures on this ???

Back