Put Your flippin' Lights On! Is it time daytime running lights are introduced in UK?

Currently reading:
Put Your flippin' Lights On! Is it time daytime running lights are introduced in UK?

Should this be introduced?

• Total voters
So halfway through overtaking a line of cars, person oncoming suddenly appears and flashes so person overtaking, who can't get in between any of the line of cars because they're travelling too closely together, has to brake sharply and swerve back in behind the six or so cars they've just tried to overtake? When this could have been prevented by someone just having sidelights/ DRLs on in the first place? I've seen that trick happen often and it nearly causes more crashes because by the time the oncoming driver gets close enough and flashes in anger, the overtaking driver is panicking and trying to take action :rolleyes: IME having DRLs on doesn't help much, but on this stretch of road, it does help some! I'd stop and take some pics but it's too blood dangerous :(
If there isn't room to move into a gap in the cars you're overtaking, don't overtake! Alternatively, if you can't see far enough, don't overtake! Personally, I wouldn't flash my lights at any car under any circumstances, but I would turn my dipped lights on, which are always set to their lowest setting except on unlit roads at night. Headlights which are set too high can make a car seem closer than it is and discourage you from overtaking, plus, when you get closer, even in daylight can dazzle and make your pupils contract which makes it harder to see what's behind the oncoming car. I've seen some of the LEDs on Audi TTs of late, and I must admit they can't hide a motorcycle, which is one of my main concerns. The other being that DRLs, if headlights, take away one more little bit of the thought required to drive a car. One thing that does need a dose of looking at is LCD dashboards like those on Lexus and the new Astras as people in these cars leaving brightly lit car parks like those at Manchester Airport, think their lights are on because the dash is lit up so they don't bother checking and drive without lights. My main concern though is if these things become compulsory, more and more decisions are taken away from us and we are moving away from being drivers and just becoming passengers. If you think the light is poor enough to use lights, then make that decision and turn them on. You don't have to signal for every lane change on the Motorway, decide whether it will benefit another driver, then make the choice.

Last edited:
+1

Lights on when needed, not for the sake of it.... and to the comment about overtaking. If you cant see if an overtake is possible without the car having front-lights, there something up with your vision, if the road is perfectly straight and clear.
Sounds right to me. (Yeah, it's me again, sorry) Just bear this in mind, the number of collisions where drivers have pulled out in front of emergency vehicles on 999 calls has been going up for the last 15 years and those vehicles have blue flashing roof lights, flashing headlights and a siren. In Manchester, the Ambulances are even painted yellow to avoid this happening.

If there isn't room to move into a gap in the cars you're overtaking, don't overtake! Alternatively, if you can't see far enough, don't overtake! Personally, I wouldn't flash my lights at any car under any circumstances, but I would turn my dipped lights on, which are always set to their lowest setting except on unlit roads at night. Headlights which are set too high can make a car seem closer than it is and discourage you from overtaking, plus, when you get closer, even in daylight can dazzle and make your pupils contract which makes it harder to see what's behind the oncoming car. I've seen some of the LEDs on Audi TTs of late, and I must admit they can't hide a motorcycle, which is one of my main concerns. The other being that DRLs, if headlights, take away one more little bit of the thought required to drive a car. One thing that does need a dose of looking at is LCD dashboards like those on Lexus and the new Astras as people in these cars leaving brightly lit car parks like those at Manchester Airport, think their lights are on because the dash is lit up so they don't bother checking and drive without lights. My main concern though is if these things become compulsory, more and more decisions are taken away from us and we are moving away from being drivers and just becoming passengers. If you think the light is poor enough to use lights, then make that decision and turn them on. You don't have to signal for every lane change on the Motorway, decide whether it will benefit another driver, then make the choice.

You see you're sensible, you admit you would put lights on in such a situation. Most people are too dim to do so (scuse pun) as they think only of themselves. Either the test has to become A LOT harder (and it's hard enough already but some common sense, inclement weather, driving in the dark etc. bits introduced) or such things will have to be introduced to cater for all the stupid people out there.

You see you're sensible, you admit you would put lights on in such a situation. Most people are too dim to do so (scuse pun) as they think only of themselves. Either the test has to become A LOT harder (and it's hard enough already but some common sense, inclement weather, driving in the dark etc. bits introduced) or such things will have to be introduced to cater for all the stupid people out there.
Now you're onto a subject close to my heart, but the Driving Test is a topic for another thread. Sorry to come on like someone's dad (I'm not, so you don't have to worry about any little Beards running about) but, I passed my test in 1974 aged 17 and have covered about 1.1 million miles in cars, buses, HGVs and motorcycles. I have held an Approved driving Instructor's "Badge" for 21 years and did the IAM course first in about 1979 then passed it again in
1999. I'm not trying to come on as some sort of Know-it-All, just hoping to influence people not to take the short cut to driving. Indicate all the time and
drivers forget about observations before maneouvring. If they drive with lights on all the time they expect everyone will see them and not pull out. Today, near Delamere Forest in Cheshire, I saw a horse & rider coming the other way, behind them were 2 cars. Realising the cars might overtake, I turned on my dipped headlights. After another 10-15 seconds, one after another they pulled onto my side of the road. I braked to about 20 mph. The horse rider shook her head and shouted "Thanks". Question? Was a collision avoided by having lights on, or by anticipating what might happen and taking the correct course of action?

I saw a horse & rider coming the other way, behind them were 2 cars. Realising the cars might overtake, I turned on my dipped headlights. After another 10-15 seconds, one after another they pulled onto my side of the road. I braked to about 20 mph. The horse rider shook her head and shouted "Thanks". Question? Was a collision avoided by having lights on, or by anticipating what might happen and taking the correct course of action?

Maybe the two cars thought you were signalling them to overtake the horse?
As you know, the reason for flashing headlights is to warn other road users of your presence yet, since way back when, flashing headlights has always been a way of letting other drivers know you are giving way to them (flash to let someone cross or pull out in front of you).
I wonder how it would stand up if an accident happened?
Imagine if you are hurtling along a dual carriageway & you believe some idiot is about to pull out - so you flash your lights.
He pulls out & you smack straight into the side of them.
They can argue that it has been common practice for many a year to flash others to let them know they can pull out & yet the one time you glance through the highway code (as a spotty teen, the night before your driving test) it clearly says - use as a warning.

Maybe the two cars thought you were signalling them to overtake the horse?
As you know, the reason for flashing headlights is to warn other road users of your presence yet, since way back when, flashing headlights has always been a way of letting other drivers know you are giving way to them (flash to let someone cross or pull out in front of you).
I wonder how it would stand up if an accident happened?
Imagine if you are hurtling along a dual carriageway & you believe some idiot is about to pull out - so you flash your lights.
He pulls out & you smack straight into the side of them.
They can argue that it has been common practice for many a year to flash others to let them know they can pull out & yet the one time you glance through the highway code (as a spotty teen, the night before your driving test) it clearly says - use as a warning.

I was curious on what the flasher unit was REALLY for, is that what it says, warning only or......could you put what it says exactly as i dont have a highway code to hand...?

I just got back from the Midlands...and I never known somewhere, where so many people have one bright and one almost dead headlights...horrible to drive in front of :bang:

Now you know how I feel - I live here!!!

Back to the original thread - I swear that whenever I decide to leave my sidelights on people either think I have left them on by accident (my neighbour tells me every time I leave the house) or thinks I'm letting them through which can be scary sometimes!!!

I've only ever had a LED fail because I put to much juice through it and it fecked it.

Only problem I have just had is that my LED sidelight bulb (ebay buy) has started to play up. Has started flickering. Good I removed it because police might have done me for imitating an emergeny vehicle. Is a white LED, but you know what they're like. Now just to decide whether to replace to standard sidelight bulbs or put LED's back in.

Last edited:
I was curious on what the flasher unit was REALLY for, is that what it says, warning only or......could you put what it says exactly as i dont have a highway code to hand...?

Here you go...

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

As I said, since way back when, people have flashed their headlights for many a reason...
'pull over you f*****, I'm doing over a ton & don't want to be dawdling behind you at 70'
'WTF did you pull out in front of me? I'm hurtling along this 'kin road & you pull out three yards in front of me you ****** '
'you can pull out if you want, I'm going nowhere fast so you might as well join the queue'
:devil:

Here you go...

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

As I said, since way back when, people have flashed their headlights for many a reason...
'pull over you f*****, I'm doing over a ton & don't want to be dawdling behind you at 70'
'WTF did you pull out in front of me? I'm hurtling along this 'kin road & you pull out three yards in front of me you ****** '
'you can pull out if you want, I'm going nowhere fast so you might as well join the queue'
:devil:

112 Flashing headlights at a girl walking past in tight low cut jeans is fine. Only use this to draw attention to your self so the girl can see you drool.

:D:D:D

(n)

I think the EU is going to force these on us in the near future, LION (Like It Or Not).

I really don't like it because it does take a little extra to keep these burning all the time the ignition is on.

I also don't like it because it is yet another expansion of the Nanny State. Here in Belgium we are going to have to give up our distinctive red and white number plates to keep some EU monkey happy. Why is this something that the EU needs to be involved in?

Some US cars have these lights, but it's not (yet) mandatory there. The funny thing is that some of my US co-workers have them on their US cars and they constantly get flashed by Belgian motorists.

On new motorbikes the system is called hard wiring, this means that your side lights or low beam, depending on bike can not be turned off, this works well and some cars are starting to do the same as standard but not all of them.

On new motorbikes the system is called hard wiring, this means that your side lights or low beam, depending on bike can not be turned off, this works well and some cars are starting to do the same as standard but not all of them.

The new Scirocco and Golf mk6 have DRL's as standard now as well as the new 500 and all EU made cars will be required to do so iirc by 2011 on - i personally don't see the point, but when you see someone driving down the road with absolutely no lights on in the dark with fog etc then do get it.

There are people out there who need saving from themselves and for us to be protected from them.

http://www.eta.co.uk/Daytime-lights-for-British-cars/node/11151

Actually cant stand when people dont turn their lights on. Feel like dragging them out of the car

its day time
some **** comes over brow of a hill with high beam on
even main beam can distract you a little

But that happens at night anyway :p

DRL's iirc do not actively project the light outwards, but just draw attention to the car itself. The newer LED type system also now draw such little power that the emissions are near enough not affected - the was the initial protest was that the engine would have to work harder to power lights all the time causing a increase of CO2 but now they don't.

It would be better all round if jaywalking was a crime in the UK TBH.

It would be better all round if jaywalking was a crime in the UK TBH.

:yeahthat:

And also if more drivers concentrated better and could see a car in broad daylight. It's not DRL's that are needed to reduce accidents, it's for more people to pay attention, improve their driving standards and be responsible for their own actions...

Back