Technical Punto won't start

Currently reading:
Technical Punto won't start

Josh Bowe

Hey, I've got a 2002 Fiat Punto that doesn't seem to want to start at the minute.

I know I should take it to a garage but I only found out a moment ago and can't really get it there because it won't move.

Basically, I got in my car and turned the key to start it up (as you do) and when I did the clock reset itself and the car wouldn't start. I noticed that my head unit had also reset itself to all it's default settings so I thought it could be something to do with the battery - but if it was surely the head unit wouldn't even work? All the lights and electric windows work etc.

When I turn the key it'll turn for the first click (when all the icons appear on the dashboard) but if I try turn it any further it just makes a burping sound and dies. It doesn't repeatedly try to start when the key is fully turned either, it just does it once and dies. Also, once the key has been turned past the first click the dashboard icons stop been lit up and the fuel needle drops to zero.

Anyone got any ideas what the problem could be? I don't think its the battery as I didn't leave any lights or my head unit on so I don't see how it could be.

Thanks in advance. (y)

Last edited:
I've managed to sort it out, for some reason the battery was as flat as a pancake! No idea why though, because I didn't leave anything on... All the car's lights were turned off and so was my head unit so I really don't know what could be draining the power.

Anyway, I charged it up to the max with another battery so it's fine now! :D

Back