Technical Punto SX60 Overheating

Currently reading:
Technical Punto SX60 Overheating

Jeff Granger

Been following some of the posts regarding overheating. The radiator fan on my 1999 punto doesn't come on and looking into the rad with the cap off there doesn't seem to be much movement of coolant.

How exactly do you test the fan by shorting the contacts with a paper clip? i.e which contacts?

If the fan is OK but not coming on, am I right in understanding that the temperature sensor for this is on the radiator somewhere? And that if the radiator isn't getting hot because of a blockage / airlock / faulty thermostat then this could explain why id doesn't come on?

Jeff

Check the fuse box first, there is a big fuse under the bonnet near top of pasenger wing, it has a pic of a fan on the cover. Im sure the fan switch is located at the bottom of the radiator on the same side as the radiator filler cap, youll see a cable with a plug connector on it, unplug this and bridge the two wires in it with a piece of wire or paper clip. the fan should now come on if it does then this will be a fualty fan switch, if it doesnt then it could be the motor or its power connections..

Edit: Also when running for a while check top rad housing on passenger side, make sure its hot if not faulty thermostat can cause your fan not to kick in properly, even air locks in the raditor or water pump is buggerd..

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

The fuse was fine and the fan started when I bridged the contacts. It's worth mentioning to the uninitiated like myself that the fan starts IMMEDIATELY you short the contacts - I foolishly expected it not to start until I turned the ingnition key. Still, I managed to find a large plaster and the blood loss was minimal.

Replaced the thermostat - the bolt at the back is a bit difficult to get a spanner on so a 3/8" socket with a v short extension would have helped.

Somewhat surprisingly, there was no gush of water when I disconnected the old stat - in fact no water at all. Is this normal??

Anyway, topped up the water and let the engine get hot and the fan kicked in at arount the half-way point. Yippee!

It's yet to be seen if this is the co0mplete solution, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

BTW is the feeble plastic screw on the back left hand side (from the front) of the radiator the bleed screw for the rad? Presumably, when released water should come out with the engine cold ??

Thanks for all the great posts on the subject.

Jeff

Back