Technical Punto sporting engine filled up with petrol

Currently reading:
Technical Punto sporting engine filled up with petrol

He's already tried to start the car, that's the problem. I recon it has gone hydraulic, in which case the bottom end of the engine is scrap.

While I agree about the potential fire risk, taking it to a small garage is only going to heap further expense on it.

Order of priority should be to cure the constantly running fuel pump, then turn the engine over without plugs to remove any pettrol in the system, then check for signs of going hydraulic (generally either bearing shells or at least one rod will be bent), so, nasty noises, low compression on one or more cylinders, etc.

With the fuel pump issue resoolved, if it has gone hydraulic, at least afresh engine can be safely installed. The cylinder head, sump, and any remaining auxilliary components can then be flogged on eBay (or even in classifieds) to offset the cost.

The fuel pump will stop fine when the battery is disconnected.

The engine has "oil" flowing out of the sump and has hydrauliced on petrol so there is A LOT of petrol inside that engine. Its dangerous.

Nothing can be done until the mess is fully drained and without proper disposal its a very risky job. Its one thing to drain a normal amount of sump oil into a washing up bowl. Would anyone like to consider draining the fuel tank into a washing up bowl?

This is one job for a professional. If OP is worried about costs use a good small garage who relies on return business and customer referrals.

Get the car towed in and get it sorted by folks with the right equipment to do it safely.

Would anyone like to consider draining the fuel tank into a washing up bowl?

I do that fairly regularly. The only "special" equipment a small garage may have is a fire extiguisher. As for the oil/petrol mix, take it to the tip.

Any flamable solvent is potentially dangerous, and extreme care should be taken. Petrol is fairly low on a scale which might include methanol...........

C'mon guys someone back me up. This bloke is having a laugh.

Any half good garage will have a proper oil draining system often a metal barrel with a tall tundish to avoid spills (used under the car lift). Some suck the oil out of the sump. The same setup is ideal for draining a fuel filled sump/engine.

They certainly wont admit to collecting gallons of petrol in a washing up bowl.

Last edited:
Who said gallons? And -- note well -- neither the suckers (which are a foul idea, labour saving but often leaving carp in the sump) or the tundish devices offer any safety benifits re. the petrol. They do offer a small environmental advantage re. oil spills. On a domestic/hobbyist level cat litter is pretty much ideal. Don't put it in landfill.

Respect petrol, but don't be overawed by it. Those of us who have welded petrol tanks know both. (And don't try the latter unless you really know what you're doing!) As with all solvents, it's the fuel/air vapour, rather than the liquid petrol, which pose the explosion hazzard.

Last edited:
images

Is that Direct Line claims dept? ....

Back