Technical Punto sporting engine filled up with petrol

Currently reading:
Technical Punto sporting engine filled up with petrol

mikesworkshop

HELP PLEASE .my 1998 sporting engine has completely filled up with petrol.I had a new starter motor fitted,was ok.2days later went to car and petrol was everywhere under car,looked under bonnet and it was running out everywhere even though key was not in ignition.I disconnected battery.checked oil level and it was more petrol than and filled up.I took off air filter and petrol ran out.I have now drained out the sump and left air filter and oil filler off for 2days to air hoping vapour will disappear.engine looks well dry through oil filler.Anyone have any ideas,don't think I better connect battery until I have some idea what problem might be.
Thanks for reading this.

thanks for all your replies,starter connection is ok,not sure wether replacement of starter is connected with this fault.
if a fuel pipe had a hole wouldnt it just leak from the hole ??,and not fill engine up,why is the pump running when key isnt in ignition ??.

if a fuel pipe had a hole wouldnt it just leak from the hole ??,and not fill engine up,why is the pump running when key isnt in ignition ??.

Good question. Get hold of a wiring diagram and check the voltage to the fuel pump relay. Likely causes are that the earth is shorted out (if it's switched on the earth side) or that the relay has somehow stuck in the on position (replace).

In either case the cylinders will be full of fuel -- if you start it it'll go hydraulic -- so clear the cylinders with the plugs out (ideally with the TDC sensor plug pulled, so there's no spark) before you try starting it.

sounds like the starter change has caused a constant feed to the pump, or given it an earth somehow. think theres a wireing diagram on the forum if you can understand them.

Post #1 says the car has petrol on the floor underneath. If petrol was going into the engine the mess on the floor would be oil and petrol as the sump overflows.

If the petrol pipe is holed the petrol will leak either bu the pump running continuously as it tries to maintain fuel system pressure or its falling through by gravity.

If the battery was not disconnected and the live starter cable allowed to spark onto a metal fuel pipe it could easily blow a hole through. Only a theory but quite possible. Or the pipe could just be rusty and got disturbed doing the job. Either way, a petrol pipe issue is the most likely.

The post is ambiguous. It implies the sump is being filled with petrol but also says there is petrol all over the floor. It cant be both.

Without proper information we can t give useful replies.

I see he started a new Thread on it now...

Hi,sorry for any confusion,dont use the forum often sodomy really no my way round !
Just to confirm,petrol was all over floor as the engine was filled up with petrol.it was overflowing out of dipstick hole and air inlet after removing air filter.I thought it was a hole in pipe somewhere so attempted to start but starter just clicked.closer look revealed that petrol was leaking out from engine but not from fuel pipes.
I hope this clears up any confusion...
Thankyou to all those who have taken the time with replies
More suggestions greatly appreciated..
Still havnt found fault or attempted to start .

sounds like the engine may have now hydrauliced, mite be an idea to slowly remove the spark plugs to see if there anything left in the cylinders.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE CAR. IT COULD CATCH FIRE AND PETROL IS NOT A LUBRICANT.

Imho It has to be an fuel injection problem.

Disconnect the battery and get the car to a good small garage. They will safely drain the sump - its going to be seriously flammable!!!. They can then find the valve or injector that had failed and caused the engine to fill with fuel.

Back